Suddenly my WP7 doesnt seem so obsolete after Android's latest announcement

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Your talking nonsense. The spec route seems to be working just fine for Android, with over a million devices activated a day. I don't have any more problems with my GSII than I did with my Focus/HD7.

Yeah, but they never talk about how many of them are actually returned, just activated. ;)

How do you know about the lifespan of WP7 being longer? They just announced that 2nd gen devices will NOT be getting a update to WP8.

Because all of the current WP released will be up to date, running 7.8. Not all current Android devices run ICS. Thus, WP7's have a longer lifespan. That's just obvious.

Updates for Android are really just tweeks, because their OS is already mature. WPX has been adding missing features.

Android? Mature? Elaborate.

These must not be high end phones. I can't think of any high end phones on android that aren't getting ICS..

What is a "high end" phone to you? Because my Droid Inc is as far as I can tell a high end device, and it's not getting ICS.

At the end of the day, folks. WP > Android. :]

Last edited:

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think that with "mature", he meant that the OS has already all the functionalities consumers want, and that Google is just tweaking the OS, like polishing, adding new minor tweaks and repairs to it. Or he meant by lifespan, that it is so long on the scene by now, that it integrated into publicity, and it's mature. Windows Phone maybe doesn't have all of the features Android has, and so it isn't mature yet. Dunno how he meant, just my predictions.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Don't mind 1jaxstate1, guys. He left us some months ago and went back to android. He likes to pop in once in a while and troll us :p

chrisz5z

May 14, 2012
Visit site
"project butter" is a step in the right direction for Android, and like some of you I'm surprised it took this long for Google to put an emphasis on user experience rather than features. On my Android device (HTC Inspire 4G) there are only a couple custom roms that have the exact same smoothness WP7 does. And it happens due to various tweaks but mainly correct ram management. You'd think Google would take notice of these enhancements their dev community has accomplished and implemented them a long time ago.

What mainly impressed me about my Lumia 900 was that same smoothness coming from a stock OS, and because it was different from anything else out there.......and yes I still use my HTC Inspire sometimes...

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are nuts. BB10 it's where it's at, y'all. Seriously, I couldn't keep from laughing on that one even myself.

Having been on all major platforms in the past 13 months, I have to say, WP is by far the smoothest and probably the fastest. Yes, even with "lesser" hardware. Android while versatile is as others have said, laggy. iPhone while nice yes, in my opinion is just boring. WebOS was my fave but we all see where it ended up, the hardware did suck though, I mean 5-8 mins for bootup??? Wow. BBs, they had their time. I tried the 9930 and I must say it was a beauty and handled well, but, well it was a BB. They really had their time, good for some, but really not for me and evidently a few million others.

So now we enter WP, I came into it by trying to save money and moving to T-Mo with their pre-paid plan. That didn't last long since I couldn't get any service at all where I lived and it does not support Wi-Fi calling. Back to the iPhone for a while and then I could not take it any longer, I tried getting that gigantic but yet aesthetically pleasing Galaxy S3, long story short, VZ messed up orders 3 different x. VZ only has one WP, and you know what, it is still one of the best phones I have used, the HTC Trophy. Slower than my short lived Nokia 710, but still performs a lot better than any of the phones I have used in the past year.

Certainly looking forward to the 8s, not going to flatter our platform of choice and claim that I will be standing in line, but I will be there when VZ first launches their WP8. Whatever it is.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Because all of the current WP released will be up to date, running 7.8. Not all current Android devices run ICS. Thus, WP7's have a longer lifespan. That's just obvious.

What is a "high end" phone to you? Because my Droid Inc is as far as I can tell a high end device, and it's not getting ICS.

At the end of the day, folks. WP > Android. :]

They can give a couple new features and call it 7.8 if they want, but the fact is that most devs are not going to develop for WP 7.8 after WP8 is released. Even if your Android phone isn't on the newest version, it will still be getting app support.

And no, your 2.5 year old Droid Incredible is not high end.

I like WP, and I will be interested to see if WP8 lives up to the hype. I hope it does.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I definitely breathed a sigh of relief after I/O announcements. Does anyone know if Key Lime Pie has any chance of dropping in Q4 this year? If so, then Android isn't completely off the radar.

Regarding Windows Phone 7.x's app situation: asserting that current developers will continue to support 7.x is not really the point. Windows Phone needs higher-quality apps from developers who are not currently on the system, and needs more localised apps and in general, more commonly-used services. If Windows Phone 8 takes off and these apps are published half a year through 2013, why would they still bother supporting 7.x? The new developers are what we should be worried about, because they are the ones who are going to grow the ecosystem so we can match Android and iOS app-to-app.

Take for an example Facebook's recent announcement to go native on iOS to improve performance. Performance has been the biggest downside of the Windows Phone client - I can see the exact same thing happening here.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are nuts. BB10 it's where it's at, y'all. Seriously, I couldn't keep from laughing on that one even myself.

Having been on all major platforms in the past 13 months, I have to say, WP is by far the smoothest and probably the fastest. Yes, even with "lesser" hardware. Android while versatile is as others have said, laggy. iPhone while nice yes, in my opinion is just boring. WebOS was my fave but we all see where it ended up, the hardware did suck though, I mean 5-8 mins for bootup??? Wow. BBs, they had their time. I tried the 9930 and I must say it was a beauty and handled well, but, well it was a BB. They really had their time, good for some, but really not for me and evidently a few million others.

So now we enter WP, I came into it by trying to save money and moving to T-Mo with their pre-paid plan. That didn't last long since I couldn't get any service at all where I lived and it does not support Wi-Fi calling. Back to the iPhone for a while and then I could not take it any longer, I tried getting that gigantic but yet aesthetically pleasing Galaxy S3, long story short, VZ messed up orders 3 different x. VZ only has one WP, and you know what, it is still one of the best phones I have used, the HTC Trophy. Slower than my short lived Nokia 710, but still performs a lot better than any of the phones I have used in the past year.

Certainly looking forward to the 8s, not going to flatter our platform of choice and claim that I will be standing in line, but I will be there when VZ first launches their WP8. Whatever it is.
Including myself, everybody I've heard of who had webOS says the same exact thing. Pre hardware blew chunks. No sugar-coating it, it was horrible. Yet we all put up with them because the UI was soooo sweet. Putrid app selection, including the homebrews, and yet we still pine for the OS. I want WP7, 8 or whatever to put those nostalgic feelings behind me, but alas, it ain't happening just yet. I'm keeping an eye on the Open Source Project to see if an OEM licenses it or if some clever devs find a way to port it to one of those fine Android devices. Talk about a Porsche on bicycle tires. I'm glad Google didn't buy out webOS from HP, they would have scavenged the good stuff and called it Banana Split or some other dessert.

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok enuff is enuff with the poor Lumia users talk. People seem to forget that we "poor Lumia" users will still be getting bunches of exclusive apps and games from Nokia. So for those that are not Lumia owners, stop feeling pity for us and for those that are, stop whining. If other developers choose to jump the bandwagon the moment WP8 comes out, so what? This only gives another chance to Nokia to show us how well it takes care of its existing customers and why we should be buying their tablets and WP8 devices from them instead of the others.

Last edited:

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Your talking nonsense. The spec route seems to be working just fine for Android, with over a million devices activated a day.

A million Android devices activated a day means nothing unless they are actually buying the new phones. I'm curious, did Google announce details on which phones were activated? I'm from an Asian country and I seen people dumping old Android phones off the back of a van wrapped in black plastic bags to clueless users for 20 bucks here everyday. These people don't even know exactly what they are buying. They just know its an "android phone" than can "run facebook" and they can "play angry birds" on it. Most of them will never buy anything off the app store. If they had the money anyway, they would have bought an iPhone not an Android.

rightontime

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
7% on ICS is better than 0% on windows phone 8, though I think both OS's needed this huge change. Windows phone 8 from what I remember is, for simplicity sake, merging with windows 8. Devs could build an app for both windows 8 and windows phone 8. Android needed a more unified UI and rewrote a lot of android.

4.1 is still an incremental update. They'll probably have Android 5.0 sometime in november.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be celebrating. We don't have many of Androids better things.

Dual core
1080p video
720p screens
Turn by Turn navigation ( not everyone has Nokia phones)
Actual multitasking (Not that refrigerated stuff)

I'm guessing even more cool stuff, that will be in the next update but we don't have it now and won't even get to update. 7% is better than 0%.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
"project butter" is a step in the right direction for Android

Indeed it is. But project butter is not much more than a bad way of implementing a fix for what they should had done correctly from the beginning. iOS and WP are made with user experience in mind, smoothnes that is. Android is not. It's simply too late for them to get the smoothness we have in our OS. They would need to had that in mind from the very beginning. You can't just add functions afterwards to make it as smooth. If they want to make it butter smooth they basically need to change how the core works and as a result all apps would need updates or they wouldn't work. In other words it will never happen. There is no such thing as a "lagfree" Android no matter how optimized it is in the software. Heck even our WP phones are not all free from lag.

On a Swedish forum there are some users already that have been running Jelly Bean aka Android 4.1 now on the Galaxy Nexus. While they report that the user experience is smoother in the beginning, it's basically back to ICS behaviour when they have installed all of their 100 apps. If there is a change in smoothness it is very minor they say.

rightontime

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been running 4.1 since Thursday and it flies. Multitask button used to open 2-3 seconds after I pressed it but now it opens really quickly even with 20+ apps open. I have heard ports of 4.1 to phones besides the galaxy nexus haven't had as good of an improvement from project butter. Plus the new notifications are a great improvement on what was great.

chrisz5z

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Indeed it is. But project butter is not much more than a bad way of implementing a fix for what they should had done correctly from the beginning. iOS and WP are made with user experience in mind, smoothnes that is. Android is not. It's simply too late for them to get the smoothness we have in our OS. They would need to had that in mind from the very beginning. You can't just add functions afterwards to make it as smooth. If they want to make it butter smooth they basically need to change how the core works and as a result all apps would need updates or they wouldn't work. In other words it will never happen. There is no such thing as a "lagfree" Android no matter how optimized it is in the software. Heck even our WP phones are not all free from lag.

On a Swedish forum there are some users already that have been running Jelly Bean aka Android 4.1 now on the Galaxy Nexus. While they report that the user experience is smoother in the beginning, it's basically back to ICS behaviour when they have installed all of their 100 apps. If there is a change in smoothness it is very minor they say.

I have put custom roms on my Android device that was just as smooth as WP7....but it was heavily tweaked. Stock Android roms, yes very choppy. And like I said in my last post I am surprised at how smooth WP7 is, being that it's stock...MS has done a great job all by themselves. Only advantage Android has is the open source element. Having the kernel source code for your device gives the opportunity to greatly optimize part of the "core" you speak of. Having the source code to the OS/framework itself (AOSP roms), gives the opportunity to optimize the other part of that core.

And I agree, Google should have put more into the overall user experience from the beginning. If they had they probably would have lots more users

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Your talking nonsense. The spec route seems to be working just fine for Android, with over a million devices activated a day. I don't have any more problems with my GSII than I did with my Focus/HD7.

Bullocks, I've had a GSII since dumping WP7 in Janurary, and I've received two updates from AT&T.

How do you know about the lifespan of WP7 being longer? They just announced that 2nd gen devices will NOT be getting a update to WP8.

Updates for Android are really just tweeks, because their OS is already mature. WPX has been adding missing features.

Specs are not what's keeping Android afloat. Price range, apps, and availability are the three things that makes it a best seller. Every carrier has it, you can get a lot of them for free, and they have most apps that iPhone has.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
7% on ICS is better than 0% on windows phone 8, though I think both OS's needed this huge change. Windows phone 8 from what I remember is, for simplicity sake, merging with windows 8. Devs could build an app for both windows 8 and windows phone 8. Android needed a more unified UI and rewrote a lot of android.

4.1 is still an incremental update. They'll probably have Android 5.0 sometime in november.

You really didn't just say that did you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss