Suddenly my WP7 doesnt seem so obsolete after Android's latest announcement

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
7% on ICS is better than 0% on windows phone 8, though I think both OS's needed this huge change. Windows phone 8 from what I remember is, for simplicity sake, merging with windows 8. Devs could build an app for both windows 8 and windows phone 8. Android needed a more unified UI and rewrote a lot of android.

4.1 is still an incremental update. They'll probably have Android 5.0 sometime in november.

100% is better than 7%

WP7
100% on NoDo
100% on 7.5
100% on 7.8

WP8
100% first update
100% second update
100% thrid update

WP9
100% first update
100% second update
100% thrid update

and so on...

rightontime

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It has taken Android 8,5 months to reach 10% of their phones running ICS. Soon Jelly Bean is out. When will 10% of the phones run that?

I'm running it now but I have no clue when it will be out for other phones. Could be sooner since this is the first time manufacturers were given the PDK and it isn't as big of a jump as ICS was.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm running it now but I have no clue when it will be out for other phones. Could be sooner since this is the first time manufacturers were given the PDK and it isn't as big of a jump as ICS was.

Most likely ICS is still in the works for a lot of phones. They probably won't scrap that and start all over with Jelly Bean when it is released. Nexus will get Jelly Bean soon. But that's pretty much it I believe. The fragmentation is getting worse month by month on Android. It's honestly a mess if you ask me.

rightontime

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Most likely ICS is still in the works for a lot of phones. They probably won't scrap that and start all over with Jelly Bean when it is released. Nexus will get Jelly Bean soon. But that's pretty much it I believe. The fragmentation is getting worse month by month on Android. It's honestly a mess if you ask me.

It really is. Actually it's probably worse than a mess. Open source isn't perfect, and this is the perfect reason why Apple and MS avoided it. I'm not sure if it is better to say early on that your phone isn't getting the latest update like MS did, or having the constant hope of getting an update.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Except 0% of these phones will get WP8.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Android can finally boast about their upgrade path after years of fragmentation!!! That is until WP8 comes out... and it's awwwwww poor Android phones again :( This will all be forgetten by the end of the year.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with my Lumia. It does almost everything I want my smartphone to do and (best of all) does it right out of the box. I got my social networks, cloud storage, GPS, web browsing, email accounts, news, and Zune Pass. I had to play with the camera settings but now I can get some pretty great pictures. I took some beautiful shots of my brother's kids over the weekend. They were better than I thought the 900 was capable of. I'm not an app maniac but I have (way) more than I use. I know every smartphone on the market can do all that, but none can do it how my Windows Phone does it.

I may not buy a new phone until there's a business related application that I absolutely must have or when smartphone video cameras finally move out of the dark ages. Seriously, people always talk about how good/bad smartphone cameras are but the camcorders are atrocious. I've yet to see one on any platform that impresses me. The Galaxy S3 is decent and has good color reproduction but smartphone camcorders still have a long way to go.

rightontime

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Android can finally boast about their upgrade path after years of fragmentation!!! That is until WP8 comes out... and it's awwwwww poor Android phones again :( This will all be forgetten by the end of the year.

Android users will never boast about upgrade paths ever. Just saying when windows 7 users get shafted they can't really say how their platform is better handling fragmentation.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
One (but not the only) reason I went back to android was because of the free turn by turn navigation. It works so well. Why can't windows phone do this with Bing maps? I could do it on my old WinMo HTC Ozone, but I couldn't do it on the newer more advanced platform? Doesn't make sense. Hopefully this is one thing that will come with WP8 or I'm afraid MS will be left behind once again since Apple will have it on the new iPhone.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
One (but not the only) reason I went back to android was because of the free turn by turn navigation. It works so well. Why can't windows phone do this with Bing maps? I could do it on my old WinMo HTC Ozone, but I couldn't do it on the newer more advanced platform? Doesn't make sense. Hopefully this is one thing that will come with WP8 or I'm afraid MS will be left behind once again since Apple will have it on the new iPhone.

Free turn-by-turn will be standard on WP8.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Android users will never boast about upgrade paths ever. Just saying when windows 7 users get shafted they can't really say how their platform is better handling fragmentation.

i seriously still think 7.8 is just like the new iOS for iphone 3GS, u get some updates, but there will be apps u can't install

well, thats what my friend's wife told me when i asked her why she wanted to get rid of 3GS like it's a hot potato (or kind of like how siri was not allowed on the 4, though it can't really compare to the "can't install these app" issue)

i don't know about shafted for 1st gen user or even 2nd gen users that got their phone earlier this year, only the L900 users were kind of screwed over, but look on the bright side, that phone was actually cheaper than the L800 (both are still really good phones that i'll keep)

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, my phone has never felt obsolete. Ever since the WP8 announcement it just feels like it won't go anywhere else after 7.8, and with the Jelly Bean announcement, I honestly don't feel like my 7.5 phone is missing anything right now with all the apps I have and need. In other words, 7.5, to me, feels just as worth as any other OS that is coming out soon, but compared to the generation after that I wouldn't know.
One thing I noticed though is after the WP8 announcement I think I'm noticing a few more quality apps coming about here and there, but the tension still has been a tug-o-war type of deal. We're seeing some good support from Nokia bringing higher quality apps, seeing more updates to key apps like Facebook, but on the opposing end, the media and some users are making it like 7.5 is already dead in the water.

I'm guessing they can't do this because of patents. It's obvious the code is there because it does gives us turn navigation but we have to activate each step with touching the screen instead of it detecting where we are. I think it just takes a simple flip of the switch for Microsoft to change the behavior, but again I think they won't to avoid patent issues. It was there for Bing on 6.5, but no one would bother with sueing them for that since that OS is EOL already.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes