New to Windows & Lumia 900

greenwoodma

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had an iPhone till 3GS & then switched to Android (Galaxy S2), now I'm switching to the Lumia 900, as getting one off a friend so a good deal.

Basically, I'm saying hi to the forum, but also if there is anything I need to know about Windows and how it'll fit my life. I currently own an iMac (but could put windows on it, if I need to).

I currently use google calendar for 2 calendars, 1 shared/joint calendar and 1 private/personal calendar. All my contacts are synced to iTunes and Google.
Is there a way to connect the phone to a Mac? Does windows back up like iPhone, where you can restore to a previous backup using iTunes?

Any essential apps I should get? Hopefully should have the lumia on Monday :)

Very excited by the switch, as I'm intrigued to compare the OS with the others I've used. Also, I heard the 7.8 should be coming to the phone in the next couple of weeks, is that a direct download via the phone?!

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. Always good to have a new face!

7.8 wont be coming in a couple of weeks, 7.5 refresh will be which should give you WiFi tethering and MMS enhancements (not much) That is unless you already have it on your 900.

7.8 is coming around October-ish. No release date yet.

As for essential apps, it depends what you are into, my essential apps are email, Age of Sorcery and Civ Revolution :D And email is built in!

Oh and Pianist Music Studio...because its my app ;)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
What you should know is Microsoft has tools and services to replace all your dependency on Google and Apple. But you will figure that out over time. Welcome.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I use my Lumia with a Mac Mini exclusively (well except to side load videos). It works great with the "Windows Phone 7 Connector" from Microsoft. It's on the Mac App Store. Do a search, you'll find it. As far a Google, WP7, Windows Live and Google actually work pretty well together. I use both Hotmail and Google for all my contact stuff. When you add your Google account you can decide what to sync. You can do the same for any account you add to the phone. There are a few little eccentric things about the Mac Connector software but for the most part iPhoto, iTunes and the general Mac ecosystem works just great on the phone. If you have specifics, just ask, we'll do what we can. Just check my sig, I've had about every OS and phone OS there is. Windows Phone and Lumia rock right now. Much cleaner and simpler than the others right now. It's really like a breath of fresh air for me. Enjoy your new Lumia and WP7! Oh and you didn't say what color your Lumia is. Sheesh, it's gotta be white or it ain't cool! :p
-joe-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923