Incorrect rendering of Japanese characters

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I was typing in Japanese on my DVP last evening (running update 8107) and noticed that one of the Japanese characters (kanji) was not rendered correctly. Specifically, the kanji "choku" (直) is rendered without the vertical line on the left. I also checked the emulator distributed with the Windows Phone SDK and it also incorrectly renders this character.

Has anyone else ran into problems similar to this?

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link and explanation; I didn't realize that it's rendering that particular kanji as the Simplified Chinese variant.

I'm thinking that this is a bug, as the kanji in question is rendered using the Simplified Chinese variant even when using the Japanese QWERTY IME on the phone (so it's not just a font issue for a particular app or website). Hopefully this gets sorted out in WP8, otherwise I could see a large number of Japanese users being pretty upset that their phone can't properly display characters of their language.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well if it's just that one character it won't be a big deal at all. Sometimes even Spanish letters such as ? or ? get displayed incorrectly if browsers /apps don't support it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes