What do you make of this article?

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So I'm reading this 4 page dribble of an anti-microsoft article about how MS got boycotted from carriers and duped Nokia with win8 not supporting current phones when I thought to myself "I bet the author is some isheep ******". He made some interesting points like how carriers hate skype and after MS bought skype hated and refused to sell win7 phones. I always wondered why it took MS so long to bring skype to its own phones. Anyways I'm curious to see what people here think of the article.

What Now? Microsoft Throws Nokia Under the Bus - Bright Side Of News*

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Dribble?

I don't know what you mean with "dribble", and also I don't understand the article to be "anti-Microsoft" if you mean to say the article was written just to say negative things about Microsoft. In any case, it lists many more negative or at least problematic things about Nokia, right?

The autor, Tomi Ahonen, is a true mobile industry insider, and there is always much to learn from his (usually quite long) articles about how the mobile industry works. The fact that he also usually has quite strong opinions should not prevent you from profiting from his articles.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't know how to be more exact then "dribble". Seriously 4 pages worth of crap. I've heard of him and his pro -iphone bias. You don't understand the article to be "anti-microsoft"? Maybe you should re-read it then.

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Interesting

First hit on a Google search I did to look up the guy's track record

Interesting controversy.

Anyway, the relentless fast march forward of the mobile industry that constantly leaves big victims in its wake is a very interesting and important subject, and I still say that in Tomi's articles you can read interesting things about that.

Likewise of the dangers of voice calls over data traffic like of course Skype can do for mobile carriers. This threatens one of their core sources of income, and it is hardly surprising that they don't welcome things like Skype phones with open arms. Whether they actively and directly boycott them is another, but still interesting question, if you ask me.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Had a brief look through the article, and i don't think it says a single thing i havn't read numerous times in the last couple of weeks.

The mobile industry is very interesting at the moment. WP7 could be dead now, and thus Nokia are in the poo until WP8 comes out. HTC, Samsung, etc don't care, as WP7 doesn't keep them alive.

This could all be a ploy to buy Nokia dirt cheap, just in time for potential recovery when WP8 comes out.

With Blackberry falling over quickly, timing is key for Microsoft at the moment. Nokia have a couple of months of peace to come out well with WP8. Keep in Microsoft's pocket, and make sure they release the best WP8 devices.

Lets also not forget, Android has just detailed their new version, and they have some seriously nice hardware out there at the moment. And with the iPhone 5 due out soon, WP8 and its many OEM's need to come out with something exceptional.

The specs of the rumoured WP8 devices look pretty dull. The initial devices look very little different to WP7 devices, other than multi-core. Unless WP8 is as well optimised as WP7 was, WP8 is going to be still born against iOS & Android.

The Grim reaper is at Nokia's door right now. I completely agree with the writter of that article on that. To me WP8 looks like its the OS WP7 always wanted to be, and with Blackberry failing, i think Nokia and Microsoft together can come out strong, but they need to do it quickly, and do it right.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Had a brief look through the article, and i don't think it says a single thing i havn't read numerous times in the last couple of weeks.

The mobile industry is very interesting at the moment. WP7 could be dead now, and thus Nokia are in the poo until WP8 comes out. HTC, Samsung, etc don't care, as WP7 doesn't keep them alive.

This could all be a ploy to buy Nokia dirt cheap, just in time for potential recovery when WP8 comes out.

With Blackberry falling over quickly, timing is key for Microsoft at the moment. Nokia have a couple of months of peace to come out well with WP8. Keep in Microsoft's pocket, and make sure they release the best WP8 devices.

Lets also not forget, Android has just detailed their new version, and they have some seriously nice hardware out there at the moment. And with the iPhone 5 due out soon, WP8 and its many OEM's need to come out with something exceptional.

The specs of the rumoured WP8 devices look pretty dull. The initial devices look very little different to WP7 devices, other than multi-core. Unless WP8 is as well optimised as WP7 was, WP8 is going to be still born against iOS & Android.

The Grim reaper is at Nokia's door right now. I completely agree with the writter of that article on that. To me WP8 looks like its the OS WP7 always wanted to be, and with Blackberry failing, i think Nokia and Microsoft together can come out strong, but they need to do it quickly, and do it right.
Agree with almost everything you stated here, except I don't think we have to worry about WP8 not being optimized as WP7. It will be. Although we haven't seen the WP8 hardware, you are right that it has to be exceptional out of the gate.

Blackberry failing is pretty much why Microsoft still has a chance at increasing the Windows Phone marketshare. Nokia, on the other hand, better produce a phone that everyone wants to own. The Lumia line hasn't done that, at least not in the U.S.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
For the record, I read the Ahonen's entire article. The whole "Skype boycott" thing seems rather silly to me. True, Nokia's current status is not good, but I'm not sure how staying with Symbian/Meego or going with Android would've helped them. Android would've helped them in the short term, but then again Nokia would've become just another Android handset maker and I don't know if that would've worked in the long term.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, fair enough, your opinion. Why not leave it at that? Are you on the lookout for confirmation? Need consolation? Put down that crap, avoid anything from Tomi in the future, problem solved.

Wow, I thought the whole point of a forum was to incite conversation. Guess that's not the case with you. Are you one of those "shoot the messenger" type people?

You said your peace, why not leave it at that?

To the other posters who actually added content and perspective to the conversation, there are lot more stories about the MS and Nokia partnership. They give the impression that it's MS throwing Nokia under the bus when in fact it was Nokia possibly not living up to expectations, especially after receiving $750m from MS. Perhaps they are cutting their losses early.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I thought the whole point of a forum was to incite conversation. Guess that's not the case with you. Are you one of those "shoot the messenger" type people?

You said your peace, why not leave it at that?

To the other posters who actually added content and perspective to the conversation, there are lot more stories about the MS and Nokia partnership. They give the impression that it's MS throwing Nokia under the bus when in fact it was Nokia possibly not living up to expectations, especially after receiving $750m from MS. Perhaps they are cutting their losses early.

Nah, this is a shoot-the-messenger forum. People screamed at me when I said exactly this--that Microsoft had killed Nokia. Nokia's continuing success was dependent on either selling a lot of Lumias, or being Microsoft's preferred partner, or both. They've done neither, and they're hosed as a result.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it was intentional. Microsoft probably wants to buy Nokia once it gets cheap enough.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Who could replace Nokia?

... when in fact it was Nokia possibly not living up to expectations, especially after receiving $750m from MS. Perhaps they are cutting their losses early.

Do you mean that maybe Microsoft is cutting its losses early and step back somewhat regarding their partnership with Nokia?

Well maybe, but if this partnership does not succeed one way or the other, I wonder who would build, market and sell the necessary millions of WP7 and WP8 smartphones, with the effort and "enthusiasm" needed for success. As I see it, there are several companies who could pick up, but they are either rather deep in the Android camp, have already own plans or are in deep trouble themselves.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean that maybe Microsoft is cutting its losses early and step back somewhat regarding their partnership with Nokia?

Well maybe, but if this partnership does not succeed one way or the other, I wonder who would build, market and sell the necessary millions of WP7 and WP8 smartphones, with the effort and "enthusiasm" needed for success. As I see it, there are several companies who could pick up, but they are either rather deep in the Android camp, have already own plans or are in deep trouble themselves.

That's exactly what Microsoft is doing.
See, for example, their new tablet, which is produced by Microsoft. I think it's pretty obvious that both Google and Microsoft are trying to exercise more direct, Apple-like control over their products, as we've seen with the Nexus 7 and the Surface.

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Produced by Microsoft?

See, for example, their new tablet, which is produced by Microsoft. I think it's pretty obvious that both Google and Microsoft are trying to exercise more direct, Apple-like control over their products, as we've seen with the Nexus 7 and the Surface.

Try they might, and I really wish them good luck because more competition makes better products. But I don't think it's really Microsoft producing the tablet, they will outsource this to China like pretty much everybody else, and we well see whether they manage to get a partner that delivers reliably, on time and on budget and can scale up fast if necessary.

Massive electronics manufacturing capacity does not fall from the sky just because I order it for me :)

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Try they might, and I really wish them good luck because more competition makes better products. But I don't think it's really Microsoft producing the tablet, they will outsource this to China like pretty much everybody else, and we well see whether they manage to get a partner that delivers reliably, on time and on budget and can scale up fast if necessary.

Massive electronics manufacturing capacity does not fall from the sky just because I order it for me :)

Yeah, the Nexus 7 looks like a real dog.
Nexus 7 review | The Verge
Google Nexus 7 Tablet Review: The New Best Way to Spend 200 Bucks
Nexus 7 review: the best $200 tablet you can buy -- Engadget

Oh wait, no, everybody is raving about it.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
This is just what I'm talking about. Let's face it most of the sheeple are down with the rotten apple or hemroid, everything else will get little consideration. So for this reason MS AND Nokia needs something innovative and distinctive. The Phon-let or FonePad idea is it! As far as I know there are only two companies making them, Samsung and ASUS. Now that MS has the Surface Nokia had better be working on adding phone guts to it if they want to hit a grandslam with WP8. If the phon-let idea takes off you better believe Crapple will add it to the iPad and then it's game over for everybody else. :p

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what you mean with "dribble", and also I don't understand the article to be "anti-Microsoft" if you mean to say the article was written just to say negative things about Microsoft. In any case, it lists many more negative or at least problematic things about Nokia, right?

The autor, Tomi Ahonen, is a true mobile industry insider, and there is always much to learn from his (usually quite long) articles about how the mobile industry works. The fact that he also usually has quite strong opinions should not prevent you from profiting from his articles.

He means drivel, and he's right. The guy who wrote the article proposes that "smart move" for Nokia is to pull MeeGo out of the trash bin. Ridiculous. That would be a guaranteed way for Nokia to fail. No one outside a small group of European fan boys even knows what MeeGo is. The rest of the world doesn't know and doesn't care. Windows Phone has a hard enough time as it is being the "third option" and that's with the massive muscle and money of Microsoft behind it and the synergy they can bring with Windows 8. And this guy thinks Meego is going to save Nokia? Please.

Furthermore, he mentions that Meego is built on a "linux base" so it would be compatible with Android apps, another piece of nonsense that shows he doesn't know what he's talking about. My TiVO runs on a Linux kernel too, will it run Android phone apps?

He's not a businessman and doesn't really even seem to understand the business he's writing about. He makes some interesting points, but they aren't well supported and it's clear he has an agenda from the beginning. Just another hater who thinks Elop was a Microsoft "trojan horse" and if only Nokia could have stuck with Meego and Symbian everything would be great.

And that is why he's a blogger and not the CEO of a multinational corporation. LOL

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nah, this is a shoot-the-messenger forum. People screamed at me when I said exactly this--that Microsoft had killed Nokia. Nokia's continuing success was dependent on either selling a lot of Lumias, or being Microsoft's preferred partner, or both. They've done neither, and they're hosed as a result.

It's probably just a little premature to predict Nokia's demise, don't you think?

Oh wait that's right, you don't think, you just spout dire predictions, crap all over Windows Phone and laud the miracles of Android every chance you get. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss