What do you make of this article?

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Whatever happens MS had better do something quick. The stinch of death is on Nokia and if MS isn't carefully it will start to stick to Windows phone! Once that happens the perception will be WinPhone won't be around long so why buy it. :straight:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
As for Nokia's designs... Meh! I've never owned one and if they were so awesome then people would be buying there phones but there not.

Uh, yeah they are. Nokia is selling Lumia 900's as fast as they can build them. Where have you been?

The only reason Nokia is in such rough shape overall sales-wise is that the Lumia still only represents a very small part of the overall sales of a very big company. Their other phones are declining in sales in large part due to the fact that fewer and fewer people want the dated Symbian OS that most of their phones still run.

Trust me, they're awesome. Have a look at the PureView 808. It's got hands down the best camera any smartphone has every had, by several orders of magnitude. It's a 41 MEGAPIXEL camera that downsizes the file but retains most of the quality. It takes better pictures than a lot of SLR's and easily destroys ANY camera phone out there. Unfortunately it too is hamstrung with the Symbian OS for now, but you can count on seeing the same technology in a Windows Phone before too long.

Nokia has a long history of good design and I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but the Korean junk makers just crank out plastic clones and they wouldn't know a creative or original thought if it fell on their heads like an anvil. All they know how to do is copy each other and everyone else and add a few more inches of screen here, a few more mhz there.

There is no "art" to anything they do. Every Korean and Chinese smartphone I've ever seen has about as much flavor as uncooked tofu.

If we lose Nokia, we'll all be using tofu phones. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Whatever happens MS had better do something quick. The stinch of death is on Nokia and if MS isn't carefully it will start to stick to Windows phone! Once that happens the perception will be WinPhone won't be around long so why buy it. :straight:

If Nokia fails, it could hurt the public perception of Windows Phone, but far more damaging will be the loss of the only partner totally committed to the platform, the only one who doesn't half-heartedly slap Windows Phone on Android devices and shovel them out the door with no advertising and little support.

It will be the Korean/Taiwanese/Chinese love of Android crap and lack of loyalty to Windows Phone that will be the nail in the coffin.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
But Microsoft doesn't need Nokia for production, there is tons of production capacity in Asia.

Frankly, with Nokia's stock well under 2.00 a share, I'm shocked they haven't been bought yet. And the only reason why, that I can think of, is people think Nokia is actually worthless, and so they are just waiting for it to keep spiraling down.

There was a story a couple weeks ago that Microsoft actually considered buying Nokia last year, but once the guys from Redmond took a look at Nokia's books (finances), they slowly backed away in horror.

I'm thinking that the Nokians have a ton of obligations and debts on their ledgers, that only a bankruptcy proceeding, unfortunately for them, can unwind.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There was a story a couple weeks ago that Microsoft actually considered buying Nokia last year, but once the guys from Redmond took a look at Nokia's books (finances), they slowly backed away in horror.

I'm thinking that the Nokians have a ton of obligations and debts on their ledgers, that only a bankruptcy proceeding, unfortunately for them, can unwind.

Probably that, or selling off big chunks of the company, which I think they are already beginning to do.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It boggles my mind that Samsung's quarterly profit is almost exactly the same amount as Nokia's market capitalization.

It boggles my mind that someone could pick up any of Samsung's cheap feeling plastic phones with that tacky TouchWiz skin running on it and a ridiculously oversaturated screen and feel like it was something they want to own, but there's no accounting for taste I guess.

hulawafu77

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Have any of you seen how phenomenol and incredible Windows 8 is on PC? Win8 I think will be an even bigger hit than Win7 which is the fastest selling OS ever. The seamless integration among PC, Tablet and Phone on Win8 is genius. I highly doubt Win8 will fail.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Uh, yeah they are. Nokia is selling Lumia 900's as fast as they can build them. Where have you been?

The only reason Nokia is in such rough shape overall sales-wise is that the Lumia still only represents a very small part of the overall sales of a very big company. Their other phones are declining in sales in large part due to the fact that fewer and fewer people want the dated Symbian OS that most of their phones still run.

Trust me, they're awesome. Have a look at the PureView 808. It's got hands down the best camera any smartphone has every had, by several orders of magnitude. It's a 41 MEGAPIXEL camera that downsizes the file but retains most of the quality. It takes better pictures than a lot of SLR's and easily destroys ANY camera phone out there. Unfortunately it too is hamstrung with the Symbian OS for now, but you can count on seeing the same technology in a Windows Phone before too long.

Nokia has a long history of good design and I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but the Korean junk makers just crank out plastic clones and they wouldn't know a creative or original thought if it fell on their heads like an anvil. All they know how to do is copy each other and everyone else and add a few more inches of screen here, a few more mhz there.

There is no "art" to anything they do. Every Korean and Chinese smartphone I've ever seen has about as much flavor as uncooked tofu.

If we lose Nokia, we'll all be using tofu phones. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Well I dunno... I'm on the "Maybe some day!" network so I've not seen a Lumia but from what I've read it's hard to say. Some, (like you) say it's flying off the shelves and others say sales are limping along so who knows! As for the camera... Meh! :dry Don't give a hoot. If I want to take great pix I have a digital camera for that.

I've had two Samsung phones and for there time I thought they were great. I just looked at the GS III and was amazed at how light it was. Still too small for me but with Win8 on it I'd have to take another look. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon