So I had a bunch of music I purchased from the marketplace then I restored my phone. Went to the marketplace do re download and it says that I've already purchases but instead of asking me if I want to install/download like an app would it asks if I want to re purchase. Any suggestions?
    07-03-2012 09:26 PM
    hmm ,

if you click on the re-purchase / buy button you should have a pop up saying you already purchased the Song and then asking if you want to re-download it. ( witch would not cost you $$ again )

if not , I'm not sure, you might need to call Zune/MS
    07-04-2012 08:22 AM
    Isn't there a download history somewhere on Zune?
    07-04-2012 09:55 AM
    Pretty sure that you can't re-download purchased music. Traditionally it has been the user's responsibility to backup their music/movie purchases. This has begun to change with "music locker" type services like iCloud and Amazon Music but Microsoft isn't there yet. Supposedly Xbox Music will allow accessing purchased music from the cloud. I believe they have to negotiate different licensing terms with the music companies to allow something like this.

The music wasn't transferred to your PC?
    07-04-2012 11:22 AM
    Pretty sure that you can't re-download purchased music. Traditionally it has been the user's responsibility to backup their music/movie purchases. This has begun to change with "music locker" type services like iCloud and Amazon Music but Microsoft isn't there yet. Supposedly Xbox Music will allow accessing purchased music from the cloud. I believe they have to negotiate different licensing terms with the music companies to allow something like this.

The music wasn't transferred to your PC?
    Wells that's another deal breaker for many when considering Microsoft. I just tried it out myself and I wasn't notified whether I would be purchasing this again or if it would just redownload. So if it says 'buy' it means you are going to buy it, and maybe it will tell me to redownload it if I click buy. That said, it isn't obvious, at least to me that it was 1 download per mp3.
    Here are a couple links to clarify.
    Restoring lost or deleted media | Zune.net

Download Error

So in short, yes you can restore purchases through the Zune software, as long as they were not MP3 purchases. You can try to talk to Microsoft support, they easily refunded my duplicated purchase, but I only tested it with only one song (I only have one song purchase through them). The process was easy. One thing to note about it is they need to call you to verify you are who you are so they can get full access to your account to issue the refund if applicable.

One reason I can think they do this is because the MP3s are DRMless files, so they can't really be tracked. I think you can redownload them on iTunes or Amazon, but Microsoft apparently doesn't allow this for the DRMless MP3s.
    07-05-2012 01:51 AM
    I think you can redownload them on iTunes...
    Don't know about Amazon, but you can't just re-download songs yourself on iTunes unless you've purchased iTunes Match.

Having said that, I have contacted Apple in the past about re-downloading songs and they've always been very helpful. They just flag them up as available downloads again, so the next time you go into iTunes it downloads them again. But there's no way of downloading them again from looking at your purchase history.
    07-05-2012 04:27 AM
    I didnt know you couldnt re-download song you buy if you have to restore your phone.. I makes me glad that after downloading something and sync my phone i always "copy to collection". So you can buy apps and redownload them but you cant do the same with music? Seems odd.
    07-05-2012 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD