Live Messenger in Messaging Hub only over cellular?

anon(5344572)

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
New Windows Phone owner here, getting myself introduced to the OS before WP8 devices start hitting, and I had a question. Does the Live Messenger integration in the Messager hub only work over cellular? Because at work I have Wifi, but ATT signal is non-existent, and it kept saying it couldn't connect and wouldn't display my messenger contacts.

I checked the sticky threads and searched the forum for tips, but couldn't find anything related to my question. I really hope it doesn't just work over cellular, because Live Messenger use was going to be my work around for not having iMessage anymore. :( Thanks for any help.

anon(5344488)

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I've never actualy checked that before, as I prefer 3g most of the time. I just turned off the data connection and connected to my wifi, and can still chat with people on both MSMessenger and facebook through the messeging hub. I'm using an HTC HD7 but it should be a standard Windows Phone ability I would think.
Hope that helps!

rc2080

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a Lumia 900 and I can use messenger over wifi.. Did you check to see whether your workplace wifi might block messenger somehow?

JMS9129

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
New Windows Phone owner here, getting myself introduced to the OS before WP8 devices start hitting, and I had a question. Does the Live Messenger integration in the Messager hub only work over cellular? Because at work I have Wifi, but ATT signal is non-existent, and it kept saying it couldn't connect and wouldn't display my messenger contacts.

I checked the sticky threads and searched the forum for tips, but couldn't find anything related to my question. I really hope it doesn't just work over cellular, because Live Messenger use was going to be my work around for not having iMessage anymore. :( Thanks for any help.
I have been having problems with messenger on both my WP and PC's the past few days. Sometimes it will show windows live friends, other times it says nobody is online, both on my phone and PC. I haven't seen any FB contacts online the past few days either. And currently, Live.com web site is unavailable.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It works over any connection. One thing to note though, is that when battery saver kicks in you can't connect to messaging services. At least from what I have experienced. You can always disable this if you really need messenger at that time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon