Can I still recommend Windows Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My best friend is due to an upgrade next month on AT&T and we where looking at the phones in there. She has an old-arse Curve 8520 that she wants to get rid of inmediatly and she asked me for good phones.

I quickly show her the Xperia Ion, mostly because its the newest AT&T phone and was in the front, but she hate it. I then show her the Lumia 900 but she though it was ugly also. She dislikes square phones.

After looking for different phones I showed her the One X, Galaxy 3 and she like them but not the price, in the budget part of the site however she saw the Focus 2 (30 bucks)and felt in love. I didn't tell her that it wont get an update or anything since she couldn't care for that but I know that she uses Pandora, BBM and live profile etc... so I recommended her the Vivid which was 50 bucks, She told me that might as well get what she wants and save herself 20 dollars. That's where I told here that I will get her the 20 dollars if she gets the Vivid instead.

There I realized that I'm the worst Windows Phone fan ever, but my conscience just doesn't let me recommend a WP7 devices at this point.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Yup you suck... As a WP fan that is... :)

We already know that WP 7.5 has strengths. Just point those out then let her decide what she wants.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You should recommend what you truly think is best for your friend. You don't have any obligation to recommend Windows Phone no matter what.

Just make sure when you make a recommendation, you're doing it based on that persons needs, skill level, wants etc., not your own.

This is what I try to do. I've recommend the iPhone to people several times. I recommended the Lumia 710 with a T-Mobile Monthly 4G plan to one friend.

I look at the persons needs and wants, their budget etc and go from there. My friend was tired of paying an expensive Verizon bill when all she does it text and call (A LOT) and only uses Internet somewhat sparingly to keep up with friends statuses. She has a lot of friends around the country she stays in touch with. Not super tech savvy.

I don't promote Windows Phone or try to convert people. But, I am always happy to show people my phone if they want to see it. She asked to see it, and I let her play around with it. She loved the interface, but not the size. So I made the best recommendation I could, I suggested the Lumia 710 with the T-Mobile Monthly 4G plan. It winds up being nearly 1/2 the price she was paying for unlimited everything on Verizon and she's free of a contract. She's very happy with it! :cool:

The only thing I don't really do very often is recommend Android, because my experience has been that Android sucks. I would NEVER recommend it to anyone unless they have a well above average level of tech savviness because it's generally buggy and unreliable.

If I have a friend that wants to tweak settings every day and is technically inclined, I'd recommend it, but those kinds of people already know what they want.

If someone comes to me asking if they should get an iPhone or an Android, I always tell them iPhone, and "your Android friends who are telling you Android are just trying to validate their own purchase and aren't considering your needs, just what THEY like"

If someone insists on getting an Android phone, I always try to steer them to the Galaxy Nexus, since it is at least free of the OEM skin nonsense and bloatware.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
People love to hate the iPhone, and while I've never owned one, I have NEVER met a person who bought one and was unhappy with it. That's why I never hesitate to recommend it.

Android is basically the opposite. At least 50% of the people I know who have bought one learn to hate it. Only the Fandroids seem to love it and defend it relentlessly.

Windows Phone... well I only know 3 people who have it LOL, one of them is me, the other friend loves it and the third is the girl who I just recommended the Lumia 710 to, and she's only had it about a week, but so far so good.

I'm happy to tell people what I like about Windows Phone, if they ask, but I won't prosthelytize. If Nokia or Microsoft want to put me on the payroll, I'll be happy to, but until they do I'm not a salesman or a missionary.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Good to know I'm doing the right thing, The Vivid/Skyrocket is really a good offer at 50 bucks, they have LTE, great screens and most importantly a killer camera, that I know she will love. Still I kind of fell bad, I mean I'm literally paying her to not get a Windows Phone.

I played a little with the GS3 and the phone is so cool, but that UI man, yuck.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Not that you did anything wrong, but maybe you should have tried to explain the deal with 7.x vs 8 upgrades and also that come Octoberish, all 3 platforms will have next gen devices in stores and she might be better off holding off until then to make the best choice to minimize buyer remorse.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Wait, what will Android bring before the end of the year? I though the GS3/ONE X Where the tippity tops? I don't really expect anything more than phone refresh but I'm all ears.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Wow. You recommend them to get an Android in a month (and lock them into a contract) instead of waiting for a WP8 device in a few months? Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you: You're the worst WP fan ever. Will that device even get Jelly Bean, which is no different from WP7.8, btw? It's just an incremental update from ICS. Don't even hold your breath about getting updates past that. Many of the stuff they've added to Jelly Bean, we've had day one on WP.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with recommending Android if you believe it's the best choice for them.

Personally I believe Android is rarely the best choice for anyone, but unfortunately there are few options out there at those lower price points. If she wanted to use apps that WP7 doesn't have, there isn't much else you could do I guess.

Personally in that situation I would have recommended an iPhone 3GS, I'm pretty sure you can get one of those for $50 too and it's going to do everything they need.

I could not steer anyone towards an Android phone in good conscience. If they didn't want an iPhone or a Windows Phone wasn't right for them, I'd tell them they're on their own. In fact I've done that several times. I simply won't recommend Android to anyone, especially not a cheap Android since they are the worst of the worst.

My go-to recommendations on a cheap phone are iPhone 3GS or a Lumia 710. If you can't afford those, then even a Blackberry Curve or a Nokia C3 running S40 Symbian. I trust ANY of those phones more than a cheap Android.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm telling her to wait till the end of the year. Her phone is literally breaking into pieces and her upgrade is due next month. ICS already has every features that she ever need and even if WP8 phones come out next month, the apps won't. WP doesn't have what she wants, I can't recommend that when Android works well enough.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm telling her to wait till the end of the year. Her phone is literally breaking into pieces and her upgrade is due next month. ICS already has every features that she ever need and even if WP8 phones come out next month, the apps won't. WP doesn't have what she wants, I can't recommend that when Android works well enough.

How about buying a phone off contract? ICS is pretty nice even though it's not as fluid as WP. There's nothing wrong with a high end android phone, but watch out for the cheap ones.

Sent from my Rezound

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
When Wp8 devices come out. can't you tell her to sell her phone and then get a wp8. isn't that better?

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow. You recommend them to get an Android in a month (and lock them into a contract) instead of waiting for a WP8 device in a few months? Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you: You're the worst WP fan ever. Will that device even get Jelly Bean, which is no different from WP7.8, btw? It's just an incremental update from ICS. Don't even hold your breath about getting updates past that. Many of the stuff they've added to Jelly Bean, we've had day one on WP.

You obviously haven't tried jelly bean then...

I'm using it on my galaxy nexus and it is so cash!

if most people that use android hate it social carpet, why is the market share continuing to skyrocket?

I'm intrigued by everyone's reason on this type of stuff...

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

if most people that use android hate it social carpet, why is the market share continuing to skyrocket?

What a retard u are? Do you really think we care about ****ing jelly bean. No we don't. go away you fatty. Go to **** satan

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

zzzzzzzz... Android has been the same story. Just about every update/upgrade they've announced, they say something about how they've improved speed/smoothness. Its all cash money in the beginning, then after a while, if you don't maintain it, it starts to freeze and crash. And please don't try to tell me that your Android has never froze or crashed, coz we know that's a flatout lie. Doesn't matter if I've never tried JB, I was only pointing out the new stuff have been on WP, that's all.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
zzzzzzzz... Android has been the same story. Just about every update/upgrade they've announced, they say something about how they've improved speed/smoothness. Its all cash money in the beginning, then after a while, if you don't maintain it, it starts to freeze and crash. And please don't try to tell me that your Android has never froze or crashed, coz we know that's a flatout lie. Doesn't matter if I've never tried JB, I was only pointing out the new stuff have been on WP, that's all.

No freezes or crashes here!

enjoy the koolaid ;)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Mate just ignore him. One day I'll see him rejected by a girl. And I'll be cracking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99