12-15-2012 12:08 PM
44 12
tools
    I forget where I got the Network Set-up app a while ago, but I have it and it fixed MMS on my phone. I'm using an unlocked Lumia 710 from Rogers on Fido.
    07-11-2012 01:27 PM
    I forget where I got the Network Set-up app a while ago, but I have it and it fixed MMS on my phone. I'm using an unlocked Lumia 710 from Rogers on Fido.
    FYI!

Fido + Rogers = same company
    Bell + virgin + Solo = same company
    Telus + koodo = same company

Bell + Telus (and the subs) = shared HSPA(+) network.
    rdubmu likes this.
    07-11-2012 01:32 PM
    1: open phone dial pad ( like your about to make a call )
    2: type in: ##634#
    3: a diagnostic app should appear in your app list
    4: open up the diagnostic menu ( if not done automatically )
    5: from the diagnostic menu type in: *#7284#
    6: your going to have 3 options , one of them enables internet sharing.
    There is no place to type in the *#7284# in the diagnostic menu. What comes up is

Run All Tests

Accelerometer
    ALS
    Audio Loopback
    Camera
    Battery Status
    DTMF
    Gyroscope
    Hardware Buttons
    Headset Detection
    LCD White
    Lights
    Life Timer
    Magnetometer
    Power Source
    Proximity
    Speaker
    Touch
    Vibra

The only option that gives any sort of acess to a keypad is the DTMF, and entering the *#7284# there does nothing.

I've got an unlocked Rogers device on Fido, and despite them being owned by Rogers, it still requires a different set of settings to get MMS and Internet Sharing to work. And, like I said, until I can get my hands on the Network Profile App, no joy for me.

Thankfully, Shaw's WiFi network is proving to be pretty expansive in Victoria now, and I'm finding I can pick that up in a fair number of places now.
    07-11-2012 02:20 PM
    hmm not sure for the Diog menu , maybe its diffrent on Nokia :( sorry...

for the APN settings for FIDO check this site out:

How to: Fido APN Settings Android iPhone 4 Blackberry Nexus One HTC | Fido 3G GPRS MMS WAP EDGE APN Manual Settings for LG Nokia Samsung Galaxy

this is what you need i think:

APN1 [this one will have the radio button beside it]
    Name: fido internet
    APN: internet.fido.ca
    Username: fido
    Password: fido
    APN Type: default
    (all other fields blank)

APN2 [this one will not have any radio button beside it]
    Name: fido mms
    APN: mms.fido.ca
    MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
    MMS Proxy: 205.151.011.013
    APN Type: mms
    (all other fields blank)
    07-11-2012 02:43 PM
    hmm not sure for the Diog menu , maybe its diffrent on Nokia sorry...
    While I do apprecaite your help with this, the fact that the Nokia menu is different, as in completely lacking the ability to input any of the required settings was the entire point of my post. It's why I was so pissed off to begin with, especially that Nokia had said it was going to be available a month ago, and then didn't deliver. I also felt WP Central was doing a dis-service to their readers by not updating their original article to include that information.
    07-11-2012 10:16 PM
    odd question, i got bored and went to check my diagnostic screen, does urs look different from mine? (pic attached)
    07-11-2012 10:48 PM
    Yup, in the Diagnostic menu both APN and Bluetooth Menu items are completely absent.

In the Settings Menu--> Cellular, I can edit the APN for Internet but that only get's me internet access, no Internet Sharing, and obviously nothing for MMS.

Oddly, one thing that I think might be related to this. The WPCentral App will ONLY work over WiFi on my phone. I've got it pinned as a live tile, and when on Cellular Data it opens the app, tries to load, and then flips back to the home screen.
    07-11-2012 11:31 PM
    Yup, in the Diagnostic menu both APN and Bluetooth Menu items are completely absent.
    hmm thats trippy, and there i though all nokia phones were created equal :P hope u find a solution soon
    07-11-2012 11:51 PM
    Oddly, one thing that I think might be related to this. The WPCentral App will ONLY work over WiFi on my phone. I've got it pinned as a live tile, and when on Cellular Data it opens the app, tries to load, and then flips back to the home screen.
    For anyone experiencing similar behaviour, I've identified that this occurs when you have selected to use high quality images whilst on WiFi. For now disable this option a fix is in development

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    selfcreation likes this.
    07-12-2012 02:41 AM

In the Settings Menu--> Cellular, I can edit the APN for Internet but that only get's me internet access, no Internet Sharing, and obviously nothing for MMS.

Just to confirm. Those same options are absent from my 900 also.
    07-12-2012 06:46 AM
    For anyone experiencing similar behaviour, I've identified that this occurs when you have selected to use high quality images whilst on WiFi. For now disable this option a fix is in development

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    On the ball, as ever Jay! :D
    07-13-2012 01:52 PM
    Also interesting to note. Without the profile app, Text to Voice and Voicemail translation won't work either.
    07-13-2012 01:56 PM
    I just wanted to kick this thread back to the top of the forum again. 5 weeks since the last post, and Nokia STILL hasn't released the Network Setup app for the Canadian market.

There have been a few folks that have reset their phone and started from scratch using a US based Live ID, once they've downloaded the app, Internet Sharing and MMS work fine on their Canadian Firmware. Which leads me to conclude the exemption from the Canadian marketplace is based solely on carrier interference.

It's disappointing, but some have become so frustrated waiting for this that they've sold their phones. I'm frustrated with the constant stream of broken promises from Nokia's customer service dept. I haven't screamed and yelled, I'm just persistantly calling asking for answers. The usual tactic is to ask for more time and promise a call back, and then fail to call back in the time asked for. If I did that to my customers, I'd be out of business.

We've actually got pretty decent consumer protection in Canada and if worse comes to worse I'll be writing letters to the CRTC and other agencies. I have to state that here, because if something to that effect is posted over on the Nokia Support Forums, the mods pull it down.

I've been waging a persistant phone campaign with Nokia's customer service dept. I'm now up to the 3rd level of officials, and felt like this was the first person I've talked with that actually grasped what the issue was; although that didn't happen until I failed to buy her line about this issue possibly being solved when the new "start screen update" became available. When I pointed out that wouldn't be until late October, and that the update to WP7.8 had nothing to do with the Network Setup App, I think she began to understand that she was dealing with a well informed consumer.

I have to say though, I'm pretty disappointed that WP Central is ignoring this issue. I feel like they're not willing to raise this issue because they don't want to offend Nokia. So I'm asking: Does WP Central feel that the Canadian market, and an issue within it is not significant enough to inform their readers of this problem? Because it is a problem, and it's something Canadian consumers should know about before they make the choice to purchase a Nokia phone.

I was informed, or at least I thought I was. I waited to buy my first WP until after the "upgrade to WP8" issue was made clear, and also until after the issue of whether internet sharing would be made available was also answered. Unfortuneately for me, the post, made by a Nokia spokesperson on their own forums, stating that the setup app would be available in week 24 turned out to be wrong. First, it ended up being 6 weeks later than originally stated, and then when it was made available it wasn't for the Canadian and Indian markets. I'm 10 weeks into this, and have a $300 paperweight. I can't do my job properly without internet sharing, and at this point I'm wishing I had bought an HTC Radar. As a WP7 was only a stopgap for me, I can honestly say that this whole debacle is giving me second thoughts on whether I would purchase a Nokia device come WP8.
    08-21-2012 11:44 AM
    Agreed. I have an unlocked Lumia 710 from Rogers activated on Virgin Mobile. I love it but would dearly love to get back the internet tethering/sharing of my old phone.

I have contacted Nokia and Virgin and got nowhere: Nokia says contact the carrier, Virgin says contact Nokia. It looks like they should all be pointing their finger at Rogers.

I bought the device outright, not on contract. I paid full price for the device and it makes absolutely no sense that the phone should be intentionally disabled by the seller (Rogers) without severely discounting the price and letting the customer know that they are purchasing defective goods.

Maybe contacting my MP or the CRTC is my best bet. Or CBC Marketplace?

Yes, Nokia should state boldly in large print (and on the box!) that any unlocked phone sold in Canada will not support internet sharing unless it is on the home carrier network.
    10-15-2012 09:15 AM
    Just wait for WP7.8. I have reason to believe that will solve our issues.
    10-15-2012 10:31 AM
    Thanks Joel - Looking forward to waiting for Rogers to release 7.8
    10-15-2012 11:07 AM
    And we finally have an answer.

Nokia has released the Network Setup App for Canada. MMS works now.

But surprisingly, and most disappointingly, Internet Sharing will no be made available to Canadians with unlocked devices.
    11-14-2012 10:22 AM
    And we finally have an answer.

Nokia has released the Network Setup App for Canada. MMS works now.

But surprisingly, and most disappointingly, Internet Sharing will no be made available to Canadians with unlocked devices.
    really? you mean phones bought and unlocked in Canada won't have internet sharing? must be the carriers again... mine is from tw unlocked and have internet sharing, what a shame...
    11-14-2012 12:38 PM
    Recently I submitted a complaint to the CRTC about The Nokia 710 and issue of Internet sharing. If you write to the CRTC and encourage others to the same it would help to make the CRTC how serious an Issue this is.
    If you are going to write you have to it as soon as possible. I made my submission about 2 weeks ago and assume that the CRTC is probably at the information gathering stage so the sooner you write the better. Also the more people write the better because it makes the CRTC aware that this is a very important issue affecting many users.
    Is also an issue of Canadians being treated differently than literally all other people around the world.
    I only became aware of this forum today. But I still think there is sufficient time to make the CRTC that this is an important issue many Canadian users of the Nokia cell phone.
    Again thank you for your support.
    12-15-2012 12:08 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD