Why is WP Central ignoring MMS/Internet Sharing Issue on Unlocked Phones?

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
So, when Nokia posted up on their forums that the Network Profile app would be available shortly, WP Central was quick to run a story on it.
http://www.windowscentral.com/nokias-mia-network-setup-returning-within-week-lumia-handsets

However, since then, that post on the Suport Forums has been edited
Hi all,

I would like to again thank you all for your patience.

I can now let you know that a new version of the Network Setup app will be reviewed this week to go live and it should be published worldwide later this week (wk24). Please be aware that propagation through Marketplace may take an additional 3-5 days after the app is published.

I will let you know when I have confirmation the app has actually been published to Marketplace.

Again, thanks for your patience.

Kosh

NOTE: Unfortunately release of the app has been delayed. When more information becomes available I will share this with you in this thread.

They are now claiming the Network Profile app cannot be made available for 900s because

Lumia 900 models sold in the US by AT&T are automatically provisioned by the AT&T contract SIM card to use the 'PTA' access point.

This PTA access point is used by the qualcomm modem sw to attach to the LTE network, and is defined in the EFS file system on the modem side. Windows Phone OS does not come into play here. Attaching to the LTE network happens at bootup. Network Setup cannot manipulate this modem-side access point definition at the moment.

Of course that leaves those that purchased the 800 for big $ outright from MS completely unlocked screwed. And it leaves all of us in Canada, (who have a legal right to be able to purchase a phone from a carrier and get it unlocked) screwed as well. I am in the latter group, having made my decision to buy a 710 on the WP7.8announcement AND the original post on the Nokia Support Forums/WP Central saying that MMS/Internet Sharing would be available shortly. Internet Sharing is 100% necessary for me to do my job, and I have a $300 paperweight I can't use, forcing me back to my trusty WM6.5 device.

There are several comments in the Nokia Support Thread saying they've contacted WP Central about this; I know I have. So I have to ask.

Why no front page update to the original story? Why no story on the legitimate outrage of owners of these devices in the Nokia Support Forums. The thread is well over DOUBLE the amount of posts of anything else there. Why is WP Central ignoring this issue?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Simple answer...

its not our responsibility here at WP central... not to mention most of the news we run are from people like you sending us TIPS.. so maybe now they will.

Also carrier WEB sites offer you APN settings that YOU need to put in your phone to allow your phone to use data/SMS/MMS

if it doesn't work on NOKIA phones for some reason that sucks.. but id still at lease try that.

you can also try the Diagnostic Menus to enable tethering.( check my signature)

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The issue here is that the Network Profile App is available everywhere EXCEPT North America. Without it, it is impossible to enter new MMS/APN settings.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Also, I take exception to the assertion that it's not "your" responsibility to cover this.

1. WP Central covered the original story. Why shouldn't they be expected to cover Nokia backtracking on their original statement?
  2. Doesn't WP Central have a responsibility to their audience? What if there is another user like me out there? I based by decision to buy a 710 on the Nokia post that the Profile App would be available for my phone, now it's not, and I'm screwed. What if some other potential WP owner bases their decision on the article on WP Central that is now factually incorrect?
  3. I've brought this to the attention of Daniel, Jay and Rafael via twitter. Rafael had this to say
    Not sure it holds a lot of weight, given the app previous worked. Right?

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The issue here is that the Network Profile App is available everywhere EXCEPT North America. Without it, it is impossible to enter new MMS/APN settings.

yeah well I understand that it may not be available YET in NA or maybe it just wont be , thats a Question for NOKIA.

Also, I take exception to the assertion that it's not "your" responsibility to cover this.

1. WP Central covered the original story. Why shouldn't they be expected to cover Nokia backtracking on their original statement?
  2. Doesn't WP Central have a responsibility to their audience? What if there is another user like me out there? I based by decision to buy a 710 on the Nokia post that the Profile App would be available for my phone, now it's not, and I'm screwed. What if some other potential WP owner bases their decision on the article on WP Central that is now factually incorrect?
  3. I've brought this to the attention of Daniel, Jay and Rafael via twitter. Rafael had this to say

1: yes they did run the story , and maybe they should have done a UPDATE like they normally do . not sure why they dint. ether cause they dint think of it , or they where very busy with other things and maybe forgot. who knows..

2. sadly you cant please every one, again they do what they can. im sure of it! they work very hard! and maybe its news that simply slipped trough the cracks , did other WP/Tech blogs site mention it?

it also nice to read MULTIPLE reviews/ Forums /Websites before making a decision. its like going into a Cellphone store and expect the REP to know every thing, often they dont. that's why its nice to ask around.

3. to me it just sounds like they where not aware of the situation , and maybe with your *TIP* they will now update it.

when did you buy your phone? and can you return it ? and maybe the update will come for NA users...

I would send a e-mail to NOKIA.... to try to get more information.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm throughly disgusted with Nokia's customer service at this point. I've spent HOURS on the phone with them trying to get a resolution to this problem.

I've been flat out lied to. As in "well call you back by this time", and then when "this time" rolls around and email pops up saying "we tried to call but didn't get an answer", when I was sitting at my desk with both phone lines within easy reach the entire time.

I spent more frustrating hours dealing with a "Level 2" tech that CLEARLY didn't even understand the nature of the problem. They keep asking me over and over if my phone has the updated software, that it has Internet Sharing. I patiently explained my phone came loaded with "Tango", that Internet Sharing is there, but without the Network Profile/Setup App, it's useless. He then asked me to call my carrier and said they could push a magic button that would enable MMS & Internet Sharing. To humour him, I wasted more time doing just that, the Fido rep did his best not to laugh too loudly and dutifully texted me the MMS and Internet settings.

They're selling the 800 outright, unlocked in the States. I wonder how many people are informed at their time of purchase that this very basic smartphone function is going to be disabled.

I felt I had done my due dilligence. I waited until the WP8 annoucement to know whether or not current gen devices would be getting an upgrade, and waited for confirmation on when the Network Profile App would be available.

I'm not a wild-eyed crazy guy, but at this point I'm actually thinking of taking Nokia to small claims court to recoup the cost of the phone and the more than $60 Rogers charged for the unlocking.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
im a bit confused, so internet sharing won't work if u can't use Network Profile/Setup App?
i don't have data plan so i haven't tried internet sharing yet

have u tried entering ##634# on the dial pad to goto the diagnostic screen? there is an APN Settings screen that you can save those information, but im not sure what it really does...

(my L800 is from asia)

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
im a bit confused, so internet sharing won't work if u can't use Network Profile/Setup App?
i don't have data plan so i haven't tried internet sharing yet

have u tried entering ##634# on the dial pad to goto the diagnostic screen? there is an APN Settings screen that you can save those information, but im not sure what it really does...

(my L800 is from asia)
The lone control I have over these things is this:

Under Settings --> Celluar --> Edit APN

That allows my phone to access the internet, but I can't send/receive MMS without being able to access those entries, they simply don't exist on my phone.

Actually, I'm kinda curious. Where do you have your Zune Software set to location wise? Asia or Canada?

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The lone control I have over these things is this:

Under Settings --> Celluar --> Edit APN

That allows my phone to access the internet, but I can't send/receive MMS without being able to access those entries, they simply don't exist on my phone.

Actually, I'm kinda curious. Where do you have your Zune Software set to location wise? Asia or Canada?

i set mine as Canada, actually... i changed almost all the setting to either US or Canada to get the most out of it lol, except for input...

have u tried the diagnostic tool suggested? if u swipe over in that menu there is a setting for MMS as well

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
i set mine as Canada, actually... i changed almost all the setting to either US or Canada to get the most out of it lol, except for input...

have u tried the diagnostic tool suggested? if u swipe over in that menu there is a setting for MMS as well
Not on a North American Nokia phone. That's what all the hubbub is about, we don't have access to that setting, it's nowhere to be found.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
This really bothers me too. I have no idea what Microsoft was thinking that they'd only give us the option to edit APN settings but not MMS settings.

I'm actually considering selling all three of my Windows Phones while they're still worth something, and using an iPhone, Android, or even a dumbphone until WP8 devices come out.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, IMO, this isn't Microsoft, it's Nokia and they way they're dealing with the carriers.

Yes, but my thoughts are if Microsoft had built-in the ability to edit MMS settings, then Nokia, Samsung, LG, and HTC wouldn't need to make these "Network Setup" apps.

I don't like the idea of a "Network Setup" app. Like with HTC, you have to choose from a list of carriers, and of course, Straight Talk isn't listed. It's been four or five months since I've first contacted HTC about this and a member of this forum who has a contact at HTC has reported that HTC will probably add Straight Talk in August.

I shouldn't have to wait that long for MMS, so again, if Microsoft had just allowed us to edit MMS settings ourselves (like iPhone (unlocked) and Android does), I wouldn't have to deal with HTC and their BS.

Last edited:

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but my thoughts are if Microsoft had built-in the ability to edit MMS settings, then Nokia, Samsung, LG, and HTC wouldn't need to make these "Network Setup" apps.

I don't like the idea of a "Network Setup" app. Like with HTC, you have to choose from a list of carriers, and of course, Straight Talk isn't listed. It's been four or five months since I've first contacted HTC about this and a member of this forum who has a contact at HTC has reported that HTC will probably add Straight Talk in August.

I shouldn't have to wait that long for MMS, so again, if Microsoft had just allowed us to edit MMS settings ourselves (like iPhone (unlocked) and Android does), I wouldn't have to deal with HTC and their BS.

So you can't edit your APN on any of your three windows phones to get MMS to work on Straight Talk? The androids will let edit them right out of the box, but to get an iPhone to work on straight talk you have to jailbreak it. Not just unlock it because I had to help a friend with that. Mine was so much easier to do with the network app. But I would think that if you did an unlock on a WP you would be able to edit all those things as well.

I don't see the big deal with having an OEM app for that feature. Let's face it if we keep unlocking things and making them for everyone and everything to edit then it is just like Android. But I don't understand why Noikia hasn't released one as of yet. That seems like something that should be released into the marketplace as soon as the phone goes on sale.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
If it helps anyone, I used the Nokia Care Suite and installed a UK ROM on my T-Mobile Lumia 710. It came with the Network Setup app, so I haven't left that ROM lol. I am Straight Talk as well (AT&T) and also received my notification for the Nokia firmware update when 8773 was being pushed out. This ROM was already 8773, so the only update left for me was the Nokia firmware update. Got it, and still have MMS. I would recommend this to everyone with a Lumia without the Network Setup app.

Internet sharing works perfectly as well BTW...

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
So you can't edit your APN on any of your three windows phones to get MMS to work on Straight Talk? The androids will let edit them right out of the box, but to get an iPhone to work on straight talk you have to jailbreak it. Not just unlock it because I had to help a friend with that. Mine was so much easier to do with the network app. But I would think that if you did an unlock on a WP you would be able to edit all those things as well.

I don't see the big deal with having an OEM app for that feature. Let's face it if we keep unlocking things and making them for everyone and everything to edit then it is just like Android. But I don't understand why Noikia hasn't released one as of yet. That seems like something that should be released into the marketplace as soon as the phone goes on sale.

For iPhone, if it's unlocked, you should be able to edit the settings. However, I heard if you put in a supported carrier's SIM (since Straight Talk runs on AT&T, the iPhone thinks you're actually using AT&T, but it doesn't realized that MVNOs require different APN/MMS settings), it'll try to autoconfigure and you won't be able to edit the APN/MMS settings yourself. There's a trick where you swap in a T-Mobile SIM, the APN/MMS fields will appear and you can edit the settings, then swap back your Straight Talk SIM and the APN and MMS should stick. It would be wise to do this right after a factory reset so you can do a clean backup with the new settings, and now if you get another iPhone or ever need to do a hard reset, you can just restore the backup and MMS will work.

If the iPhone is locked, you still have options. You can jailbreak, but you can also edit plists without jailbreaking. Furthermore, you can restore a backup from a phone that already had the Straight Talk APN/MMS settings inputted, and that will work too.

I can edit APN settings on all three Windows Phones regardless of whether they're locked or unlocked, but that will only give me data. MMS settings are a separate field, which doesn't exist on Windows Phones. My Dell Venue Pro does let me edit MMS settings through a diagnostic menu, but I didn't like that phone (camera not great, heavy, battery life not as good as Titan/Titan II, I don't like displays with PenTile, sometimes I feel call quality isn't as good as Titan II).

Let's face it if we keep unlocking things and making them for everyone and everything to edit then it is just like Android.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here, but I don't think that's what I'm asking for. I'm not asking Microsoft to force people to manually input their APN and MMS settings, that would be stupid. On supported carriers, it should be able to provision itself correctly. The problem is what if I'm on an "unsupported" carrier? If my only option is to use a network setup app, and the manufacturer fails to release it, update it, or list my carrier, then there's nothing I can do. Although the iPhone is a bit more work, at least I have options, whereas with Windows Phone, I'm at the mercy of the manufacturer. This is why I want Microsoft to allow me to edit MMS settings myself, just like how they allow me to edit the APN.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
All too True, Microsoft should have included the option under APN data to also add MMS settings has well.

And Well Nokia should just release the app, many User's cannot use their phone's fully on different carrier's or mvno.

I hope WP8 give us the option built in to manually edit apn data once again. all of it like Samsung Wireless Manager does for 2nd gen Samsung Phones.:happy:

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Straight Talk with my Focus Flash and have everything including MMS. Granted I had to download the Network Manager but no big deal. It doesn't bother me that I had to install an OEM app for this feature.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Straight Talk with my Focus Flash and have everything including MMS. Granted I had to download the Network Manager but no big deal. It doesn't bother me that I had to install an OEM app for this feature.

That's the point...the OEM app has been removed and ppl are buying these phones without knowing that and thinking some kind of option will be available....

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, it only took 289 posts, but Nokia has finally come out with a positive answer....

The following statement and Q&A were provided by Nokia USA for its customers:

We are happy to share that in the coming weeks, the Network Setup app will be made available for Lumia devices in North America via the Marketplace. This is designed to allow phones that have been unlocked by the operator to be setup with new MMS message center numbers that will allow these devices to send and receive MMS messages with SIM cards on other networks.

Q: Why wasn’t this application originally available in North America?
A: Since there were some extenuating circumstances with carrier APN settings, the latest version of Network Setup could have caused unforeseen issues with North America spec devices. The revised version (2.5) addresses these contingencies, and can now be released to North America

Q: I thought you said that this would not work on the LTE version of the Lumia 900. What changed?
A: The newest version of Network Setup (2.5) addresses the challenges that we had in trying to bring earlier versions to the LTE version of the Lumia 900

Q: Can you unlock my device?
A: No, we are unable to provide unlock codes. Only your operator is able to provide this – and each carrier has specific guidelines as to whether they are able to unlock a phone. Please check with your service provider for details.

Best estimate for an ETA is after Nokia's "Week 30", which ends on the 27th of July.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb