Why is WP Central ignoring MMS/Internet Sharing Issue on Unlocked Phones?

CHPro

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I have also been very frustrated with Nokia over this issue. It is good to see they are finally doing something to fix this. However, this is not going to help anyone in the US as ATT is not unlocking any of the phones.

This is just complete opinion, but I believe the problem is stemming from ATT in the first place. They are the only one to lose by allowing people to enter MMS settings and get a fully functional phone through Straight Talk, Red Pocket, Etc.

Edit ***** for the 900

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have also been very frustrated with Nokia over this issue. It is good to see they are finally doing something to fix this. However, this is not going to help anyone in the US as ATT is not unlocking any of the phones.

This is just complete opinion, but I believe the problem is stemming from ATT in the first place. They are the only one to lose by allowing people to enter MMS settings and get a fully functional phone through Straight Talk, Red Pocket, Etc.

Edit ***** for the 900

Yeah, it wasn't until April of this year that AT&T started to allow unlocking of AT&T iPhones. Meanwhile, other non-US carriers have been unlocking iPhones for years. Stupid US carriers.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/190295.htm

Access Code: ##634#

1: Adding Tethering: *#7284#
In this menu you can enable Tethering for your WP.

What carrier are you with exactly.

cause APN setting Do enable ALL the function . ( for sms/MMS etc..)

and int he APN settings you NEED to fill out ALL the sections to make it work properly and you can get the codes STRAIT from the carrier website.

never trust on tech support 100% they dont know **** 99% of the time.
they have a specific trouble-shooting list to follow. normally starting with * reset your phone and do a battery pull * lol

---------------------

AT&T APN settings.

FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER!! don't miss one setting:

APN: wap.cingular
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1 (must be in CAPS)

Expanded Version:

Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1 (yes this is in CAPS)
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank

this should solve your problems.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
1: open phone dial pad ( like your about to make a call )
2: type in: ##634#
3: a diagnostic app should appear in your app list
4: open up the diagnostic menu ( if not done automatically )
5: from the diagnostic menu type in: *#7284#
6: your going to have 3 options , one of them enables internet sharing.

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I forget where I got the Network Set-up app a while ago, but I have it and it fixed MMS on my phone. I'm using an unlocked Lumia 710 from Rogers on Fido.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I forget where I got the Network Set-up app a while ago, but I have it and it fixed MMS on my phone. I'm using an unlocked Lumia 710 from Rogers on Fido.

FYI!

Fido + Rogers = same company
Bell + virgin + Solo = same company
Telus + koodo = same company

Bell + Telus (and the subs) = shared HSPA(+) network.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
1: open phone dial pad ( like your about to make a call )
2: type in: ##634#
3: a diagnostic app should appear in your app list
4: open up the diagnostic menu ( if not done automatically )
5: from the diagnostic menu type in: *#7284#
6: your going to have 3 options , one of them enables internet sharing.

There is no place to type in the *#7284# in the diagnostic menu. What comes up is

Run All Tests

Accelerometer
ALS
Audio Loopback
Camera
Battery Status
DTMF
Gyroscope
Hardware Buttons
Headset Detection
LCD White
Lights
Life Timer
Magnetometer
Power Source
Proximity
Speaker
Touch
Vibra

The only option that gives any sort of acess to a keypad is the DTMF, and entering the *#7284# there does nothing.

I've got an unlocked Rogers device on Fido, and despite them being owned by Rogers, it still requires a different set of settings to get MMS and Internet Sharing to work. And, like I said, until I can get my hands on the Network Profile App, no joy for me.

Thankfully, Shaw's WiFi network is proving to be pretty expansive in Victoria now, and I'm finding I can pick that up in a fair number of places now.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hmm not sure for the Diog menu , maybe its diffrent on Nokia :( sorry...

for the APN settings for FIDO check this site out:

How to: Fido APN Settings Android iPhone 4 Blackberry Nexus One HTC | Fido 3G GPRS MMS WAP EDGE APN Manual Settings for LG Nokia Samsung Galaxy

this is what you need i think:

APN1 [this one will have the radio button beside it]
Name: fido internet
APN: internet.fido.ca
Username: fido
Password: fido
APN Type: default
(all other fields blank)

APN2 [this one will not have any radio button beside it]
Name: fido mms
APN: mms.fido.ca
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
MMS Proxy: 205.151.011.013
APN Type: mms
(all other fields blank)

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
hmm not sure for the Diog menu , maybe its diffrent on Nokia sorry...

While I do apprecaite your help with this, the fact that the Nokia menu is different, as in completely lacking the ability to input any of the required settings was the entire point of my post. It's why I was so pissed off to begin with, especially that Nokia had said it was going to be available a month ago, and then didn't deliver. I also felt WP Central was doing a dis-service to their readers by not updating their original article to include that information.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup, in the Diagnostic menu both APN and Bluetooth Menu items are completely absent.

In the Settings Menu--> Cellular, I can edit the APN for Internet but that only get's me internet access, no Internet Sharing, and obviously nothing for MMS.

Oddly, one thing that I think might be related to this. The WPCentral App will ONLY work over WiFi on my phone. I've got it pinned as a live tile, and when on Cellular Data it opens the app, tries to load, and then flips back to the home screen.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Oddly, one thing that I think might be related to this. The WPCentral App will ONLY work over WiFi on my phone. I've got it pinned as a live tile, and when on Cellular Data it opens the app, tries to load, and then flips back to the home screen.

For anyone experiencing similar behaviour, I've identified that this occurs when you have selected to use high quality images whilst on WiFi. For now disable this option a fix is in development

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

CHPro

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, in the Diagnostic menu both APN and Bluetooth Menu items are completely absent.

In the Settings Menu--> Cellular, I can edit the APN for Internet but that only get's me internet access, no Internet Sharing, and obviously nothing for MMS.

Just to confirm. Those same options are absent from my 900 also.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
For anyone experiencing similar behaviour, I've identified that this occurs when you have selected to use high quality images whilst on WiFi. For now disable this option a fix is in development

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

On the ball, as ever Jay! :D

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to kick this thread back to the top of the forum again. 5 weeks since the last post, and Nokia STILL hasn't released the Network Setup app for the Canadian market.

There have been a few folks that have reset their phone and started from scratch using a US based Live ID, once they've downloaded the app, Internet Sharing and MMS work fine on their Canadian Firmware. Which leads me to conclude the exemption from the Canadian marketplace is based solely on carrier interference.

It's disappointing, but some have become so frustrated waiting for this that they've sold their phones. I'm frustrated with the constant stream of broken promises from Nokia's customer service dept. I haven't screamed and yelled, I'm just persistantly calling asking for answers. The usual tactic is to ask for more time and promise a call back, and then fail to call back in the time asked for. If I did that to my customers, I'd be out of business.

We've actually got pretty decent consumer protection in Canada and if worse comes to worse I'll be writing letters to the CRTC and other agencies. I have to state that here, because if something to that effect is posted over on the Nokia Support Forums, the mods pull it down.

I've been waging a persistant phone campaign with Nokia's customer service dept. I'm now up to the 3rd level of officials, and felt like this was the first person I've talked with that actually grasped what the issue was; although that didn't happen until I failed to buy her line about this issue possibly being solved when the new "start screen update" became available. When I pointed out that wouldn't be until late October, and that the update to WP7.8 had nothing to do with the Network Setup App, I think she began to understand that she was dealing with a well informed consumer.

I have to say though, I'm pretty disappointed that WP Central is ignoring this issue. I feel like they're not willing to raise this issue because they don't want to offend Nokia. So I'm asking: Does WP Central feel that the Canadian market, and an issue within it is not significant enough to inform their readers of this problem? Because it is a problem, and it's something Canadian consumers should know about before they make the choice to purchase a Nokia phone.

I was informed, or at least I thought I was. I waited to buy my first WP until after the "upgrade to WP8" issue was made clear, and also until after the issue of whether internet sharing would be made available was also answered. Unfortuneately for me, the post, made by a Nokia spokesperson on their own forums, stating that the setup app would be available in week 24 turned out to be wrong. First, it ended up being 6 weeks later than originally stated, and then when it was made available it wasn't for the Canadian and Indian markets. I'm 10 weeks into this, and have a $300 paperweight. I can't do my job properly without internet sharing, and at this point I'm wishing I had bought an HTC Radar. As a WP7 was only a stopgap for me, I can honestly say that this whole debacle is giving me second thoughts on whether I would purchase a Nokia device come WP8.

etb#WN

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I have an unlocked Lumia 710 from Rogers activated on Virgin Mobile. I love it but would dearly love to get back the internet tethering/sharing of my old phone.

I have contacted Nokia and Virgin and got nowhere: Nokia says contact the carrier, Virgin says contact Nokia. It looks like they should all be pointing their finger at Rogers.

I bought the device outright, not on contract. I paid full price for the device and it makes absolutely no sense that the phone should be intentionally disabled by the seller (Rogers) without severely discounting the price and letting the customer know that they are purchasing defective goods.

Maybe contacting my MP or the CRTC is my best bet. Or CBC Marketplace?

Yes, Nokia should state boldly in large print (and on the box!) that any unlocked phone sold in Canada will not support internet sharing unless it is on the home carrier network.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss