What's your favorite weather app?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've got the weather channel one now. While it's good, I am tired of looking at the tacky banner ads on it.

I need something that's equally capable, but WITHOUT any tacky ads in it. It doesn't have to be a free app necessarily...

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Well I use StormGlass, but that's pretty much made for Live Tiles. I only need to see what the current weather is(and Live Tile flips over to give low/high) so I know what to wear. I'm not terribly interested in micro-managing my weather. I can usually deal with it and StormGlass makes that simple enough.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Might find something helpful here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/marketplace-apps/193559.htm

and/or here

http://www.windowscentral.com/best-weather-apps-your-windows-phone

I have had a difficult time too picking out a weather app. I keep coming back to the weather channel one. It seems to do everything I want and has a lot of information.

Amazing Weather seems to work well, but it just doesn't have all the features of the weather channel one...I did buy it anyway.

I like to have weather alerts by gps, updated tiles, 5-10 day calendar, odds of rain by percentage, current conditions, high/low, and a summary.

Last edited:

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I like Amazing weather but, but, live tile is a mess (never updates! but this might not be Amazing Weather's fault)

The lite version only updates once a day or something like that. Do you have the paid version? I never have problems with the tile updating. With the paid version you can choose how often you want it to update...there are many options.

tn_friend

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I recommend Weather Master, it gives you the current temperature and forecast on one side of the Live tile and the other side has the forecast for the next two days.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I recommend Weather Master, it gives you the current temperature and forecast on one side of the Live tile and the other side has the forecast for the next two days.

I love the layout and feel of Weather Master, but it is HORRIBLE for accuracy in my experience (and many others if you read the reviews).

For instance, it showed Anchorage as being in the 80's all week so I texted my cousin who lives there. Well, its cold and cloudy all week and has been for weeks.

Around here it was showing 5-10 degrees higher than all other forms of weather including the news, weather.com, bing search, and other weather apps.

Not sure what the developer is doing but I would recommend people don't waste their money on this until he fixes the accuracy issue.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Another vote for Accuweather. Overall it just seems to have the best balance of UI, data, and accuracy. Live tile works pretty well too.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just the plain ol' "Weather" from Microsoft. I choose this because it has offline access. If you try to access the weather on any other weather app, it will give you some error about not being connected. This is important to me because I keep my data off, especially when I'm nearing my cap. The other thing that got me is the solid live tile support. I couldn't find this working well for other applications, especially if data is on and off; other apps would just stop working or just turn blank because my data would be off instead of just caching the last known weather stats. The problem I have is the lack of details and a live tile that adjusts by GPS. In regards to details, hourly forecasts is more like trihourly (which I've come to the conclusion is just enough), you can't click anywhere to find more details as well, like to open a webpage to a more detailed page for finer things. This trend follows into alerts as well. I've noticed a majority of weather apps don't provide alerts, and only a few do it alright to well. This app just provides the title of the alert and the duration. It seems to be enough, but would be nice to see the entire alert, and see what other counties it may apply to as well. Next was the live tile GPS thing. There are few that have a live tile that updates your location. One thing to note though, is that the main weather app when launched will find your location and give you the weather for that area, which I can live with, but this means you either pin the main app to the start screen or just navigate to it in the list; you can't access the main app through a pinned location. With that said, details wise, I think it provides enough, you get the standard forecast, % chance of precipitation, tri-hourly forecasts (which I think is actually ok), extended forecasts, and alerts.
Now why I don't use other weather apps? Accuweather was the last one I was using, but the lack of being able to see the last refreshed weather stats when not connected to data made me leave it, and the alerts were buggy (it would crash constantly trying to scroll through it). AmazingWeather Lite, is great except for the once daily updates on the live tile (which makes having a live tile actually very useless to have, and makes it more of a shortcut than a live tile). Weatherbug just never worked for me (live tiles would just stay that Weatherbug logo (tried both verisons, neither worked)).
For paid apps, I tried out WeatherMaster. I think this was the best one, but it would be off by like 10 degrees sometimes for me, and it didn't provide as many details as I wanted. I wasn't sure if it provided weather alerts as well (didn't see any indication when the others did). It has offline access, and a plethora of details about weather, and it looks great, but it's like $2 if I remember. If I were to get a paid app, it would probably be Amazing Weather though.

EDIT: Pointed out that AmazingWeather actually does have offline access. Still, the limitation of a single live tile update still prevents me from using this.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb