Why Windows Phone hasn't caught on...(Revised from March-ish 2012)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Windows 7 is a massive success. I would imagine that the windows os outsells the apple os by a huge margin.

I'm saying that consumers and business people see apple as a viable alternative now, whereas 10 years ago it was viewed as a niche product, especially in the business world. My father's IT company gets constant requests from his customers about switching to apple. All I'm saying is that the implied connection between win 8 and wp8 isn't going to be the factor that drives growth.

I get that all the time for start-up's its possible but for enterprise Windows all the way. Windows backend services is far greater than what Apple has to offer.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Within the current cycle, I can't see either bb10 or wp8 dislodging android or IOS. The big problem with Microsoft is that it's always what is coming tomorrow that will be the big winner and it never is.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

WP8 can make a huge dent in Android's marketshare. Look at Android's satisfaction ratings there is a lot of room to attack that especially with aggressive pricing and awesome phones.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 might be totally awesome. That's why I can't way to see all the features and hot new phones.

Windows Phone 7? Garbage, inexcusable in every way. Outdated phones, barely above feature phone features, short list of apps, apps are terrible, apps are twice, three times as expensive for no reason whatsoever, hot games are nonexistant, games look like they where from games in 2006. Yet the have the audacity to ask us full price.

I for once, can't wait for that to change.

Depending how you look at it but due to Windows CE limitations WP is built around experience rather than features.

MS goal was to make simple things like Social Networking, Taking Pictures, Gaming, Access to Music, Maps and Navigation easy and simple to the front end user. Its not a PC in your pockets but a device that compliments your PC.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone is great for 90% of the things you do.
It lacks the 10%.

Thing is, Andriod does all the advanced stuff amazingly well, but it sucks with the basics.

And that is why I still carry my symbian, I'm trying to get a Pureview too.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't care how popular it is. I love it and just as long as it's supported by somebody, somewhere I will be there with it.

I can't stand anything google or apple. Personal reasons.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone is great for 90% of the things you do.
It lacks the 10%.

Thing is, Andriod does all the advanced stuff amazingly well, but it sucks with the basics.

And that is why I still carry my symbian, I'm trying to get a Pureview too.

Well said. Android can do A LOT. However it's buggy as crap. People just deal with it to have something that can compete with the iPhone. The iPhone? Unless you love not being able to customize and being stuck with one brand who controls everything your device can or cannot do then there is no reason to have one.

WP7 is a happy medium in my opinion. It's simple, its somewhat customizeable, it has all the basic things a smartphone should have and it does those things very well. If you are an app junkie then yeah, it's probably not the best thing for you but it does have all the basic apps that a smarphone needs or should have. There just aren't many choices.

My favorite things about WP7 are the web-browsing (it's unmatched and every review site knows it), the linked inboxes and the Xbox Live integration. Those three things alone brought me back to WP7. Android has some serious issues when trying to sync multilpe inbox's from different providers at the same time I don't care what app you are using. iPhone is a grea media device and if you take lots of pix and your phone is your MP3 player then it's a good thing for you.

But as a browser and gaming device WP7 wins.

P.S. Before anybody says anything about the graphics on games for WP7 yes, I know iPhone can do better but some of us care more about having integrated Xbox Live than graphics.

Last edited:

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what you mean by "requirement". The main problem for Windows Phone is it does nothing unique.

Most new entrants when they choose to buy a smartphone will gravitate towards the most popular and dominating phone, which would be iPhone or Android. The majority of the time if someone buys a Windows Phone it is because they have tried iPhone or Android and did not like it or want something new, not because Windows Phone is so much better than the rest.

The main strength (usability) is not really evident until you use something worse. If someone tries the iPhone or Android and *likes* it they won't buy a Windows Phone. Remember these are 400$+ devices that have 2-3 year contracts, and chances are when they are up for a new phone they would choose something they are already familiar with.

It's an uphill battle for any new entrants with the marketshare iPhone and Android have built, same problem with anyone trying to enter the PC market with the amount of domination Windows has.

The key it seems is either to enter the market before everyone else does, or enter the market and leapfrog it with innovation, nothing of which I saw with WP8. It's just another "me too" device.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 might be totally awesome. That's why I can't way to see all the features and hot new phones.

Windows Phone 7? Garbage, inexcusable in every way. Outdated phones, barely above feature phone features, short list of apps, apps are terrible, apps are twice, three times as expensive for no reason whatsoever, hot games are nonexistant, games look like they where from games in 2006. Yet the have the audacity to ask us full price.

I for once, can't wait for that to change.

I don't know what twisted you the wrong way about WP7 but you need to calm down about it. The games look like they are from 2006... on a console. For a phone they are pretty darn good. And I hope you are kidding about the "full-price" comment because outside of Final Fantasy most games are pretty darn cheap.... Unless you really think $5 for an Xbox Live game is expensive. HA!

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what you mean by "requirement". The main problem for Windows Phone is it does nothing unique.

Most new entrants when they choose to buy a smartphone will gravitate towards the most popular and dominating phone, which would be iPhone or Android. The majority of the time if someone buys a Windows Phone it is because they have tried iPhone or Android and did not like it or want something new, not because Windows Phone is so much better than the rest.

The main strength (usability) is not really evident until you use something worse. If someone tries the iPhone or Android and *likes* it they won't buy a Windows Phone. Remember these are 400$+ devices that have 2-3 year contracts, and chances are when they are up for a new phone they would choose something they are already familiar with.

It's an uphill battle for any new entrants with the marketshare iPhone and Android have built, same problem with anyone trying to enter the PC market with the amount of domination Windows has.

The key it seems is either to enter the market before everyone else does, or enter the market and leapfrog it with innovation, nothing of which I saw with WP8. It's just another "me too" device.

Are you kidding me?

WP8 is going to have by far one of the best Enterprise ready features on a smartphone which means its easier to recommend a WP8 over IOS and Android when it comes to enterprise.

WP8 is going to have native Direct X which means it makes it easier to port XBLA, XBLI, XBOX 360 and PC titles over to WP8. You never know maybe MS might launch Halo, Forza or Fable with WP8 to make it really attractive. With better DX support means better Live integration now WP8 is truly going to ride the Xbox Live momentum which makes it easy to recommend the phone to gamers.

WP8 is going to have native Skype the most popular VOIP service in the world. Soo much potential there makes it also easier to recommend it over other phones.

Plus other things like Pureview, Nokia navigation, Windows 8 integration and many many more. WP8 is not just a me too device its almost a full blown Windows 8 experience in your pocket.

Also just to note what makes WP7 stand out from the rest of the crowd. PRICE, Reliability and ease of use

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me?

WP8 is going to have by far one of the best Enterprise ready features on a smartphone which means its easier to recommend a WP8 over IOS and Android when it comes to enterprise.
why? You said all that without a lick of evidence why it is better than IOS and Android

WP8 is going to have native Direct X which means it makes it easier to port XBLA, XBLI, XBOX 360 and PC titles over to WP8. You never know maybe MS might launch Halo, Forza or Fable with WP8 to make it really attractive. With better DX support means better Live integration now WP8 is truly going to ride the Xbox Live momentum which makes it easy to recommend the phone to gamers.
Whoop, finally doing something that OpenGL has been doing on other platform for years. This is catching up.. this is "me too".

WP8 is going to have native Skype the most popular VOIP service in the world. Soo much potential there makes it also easier to recommend it over other phones.

Plus other things like Pureview, Nokia navigation, Windows 8 integration and many many more. WP8 is not just a me too device its almost a full blown Windows 8 experience in your pocket.
All of these have been available on IOS and Android for years. It's not new, nothing you said is new. ;)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
why? You said all that without a lick of evidence why it is better than IOS and Android

Whoop, finally doing something that OpenGL has been doing on other platform for years. This is catching up.. this is "me too".

All of these have been available on IOS and Android for years. It's not new, nothing you said is new. ;)

what the **** is wrong with you. it's Skype integration. IOS and Android doesn't have that. adn for enterprise it's Windows for god sakes man. you really that dumb?. it's the most used OS in the world and it's the most used OS in enterprise. It basically has Windows 7 and 8 enterprise features.

Man I hate these type of people. they lack information or they didn't watch the summit video

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

Group Policy and Active Directory support. Being able to register your WP8 to a domain and push settings down through group policy. Can you do that on a Android or iPhone. Also WP is more secure than Android

Yes Skype is available VIA app but come on integration is so much better and easier to use. A Skype calling coming in like a normal phone call. Being able to just call out using Skype WiFi that's already a better experience. Integration better than application that is all I have to say.

In regards to DX games there are tons of DX games like Batman AA. Imagine being able to play on your PC and continue on your Windows Phone that is the type of integration we might be able to see.

Also with tight integration with your Windows PC why bother using something else unless you use a MAC or is heavily invested in Google services

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Group Policy and Active Directory support. Being able to register your WP8 to a domain and push settings down through group policy. Can you do that on a Android or iPhone. Also WP is more secure than Android

Yes Skype is available VIA app but come on integration is so much better and easier to use. A Skype calling coming in like a normal phone call. Being able to just call out using Skype WiFi that's already a better experience. Integration better than application that is all I have to say.

In regards to DX games there are tons of DX games like Batman AA. Imagine being able to play on your PC and continue on your Windows Phone that is the type of integration we might be able to see.

Also with tight integration with your Windows PC why bother using something else unless you use a MAC or is heavily invested in Google services
dude this person is a troll. he should go to **** like the rest.

Last edited:

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
All good I am curious to what he has to say.

Ignore dannyboy there. I went through his post history and couldn't stop laughing.

Btw I am a windows phone developer with an original samsung focus. It's fine if you wanna do the "rah-rah my phone is the best" thing but when it's not selling you need to take a good look at yourself and be critical. Fun discussion though.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Ignore dannyboy there. I went through his post history and couldn't stop laughing.

Btw I am a windows phone developer with an original samsung focus. It's fine if you wanna do the "rah-rah my phone is the best" thing but when it's not selling you need to take a good look at yourself and be critical. Fun discussion though.

you're such a pervert. no ignore this mother****er. friend Based_Graham.
you are one nerd. good job!.

Last edited:

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
you're such a pervert. no ignore this mother****er. friend Based_Graham.

can't ignore developers... but about sales I really hate it when people talk about sales. Look the playing field isn't equal and for the amount of Windows Phones out in the market in my opinion sales are good

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
can't ignore developers... but about sales I really hate it when people talk about sales. Look the playing field isn't equal and for the amount of Windows Phones out in the market in my opinion sales are good
he's a developer?. what app did he develop?

Wow Tuufly we are different. opposite

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb