Why Windows Phone hasn't caught on...(Revised from March-ish 2012)

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
can't ignore developers... but about sales I really hate it when people talk about sales. Look the playing field isn't equal and for the amount of Windows Phones out in the market in my opinion sales are good

...well, he CLAIMS to be a developer... maybe he is, maybe he isn't, how are we to know for sure? (heck I could go online and CLAIM to be a lot of things, that doesn't automatically make it true)

regardless, he never did respond to your last post on the actual topic, instead he let this slide off into a little name-calling session. If and when he decides to respond on the topic. THEN I'll look at what he has to say and decide as to what level of credibilty his statements will have with me. (at this point though he doesn't have much credibility with me so far, and I suspect that I'm not alone in that opinion)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
...well, he CLAIMS to be a developer... maybe he is, maybe he isn't, how are we to know for sure? (heck I could go online and CLAIM to be a lot of things, that doesn't automatically make it true)

regardless, he never did respond to your last post on the actual topic, instead he let this slide off into a little name-calling session. If and when he decides to respond on the topic. THEN I'll look at what he has to say and decide as to what level of credibilty his statements will have with me. (at this point though he doesn't have much credibility with me so far, and I suspect that I'm not alone in that opinion)
YES!. dude that's true!. I hate that dude!. he's dumb as a pig. no offence to tuufy boy here. isn't that right little man?

Last edited:

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

You guys are worse than applefan boys. Why don't you click on my profile and look at my post history, maybe in the beta forums. Only Dannyboy has been calling me names
Frankly I don't care, too many people get emotional over something I look at as a business

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
You guys are worse than applefan boys. Why don't you click on my profile and look at my post history, maybe in the beta forums. Only Dannyboy has been calling me names
Frankly I don't care, too many people get emotional over something I look at as a business
whatever :dry. I'm a teen so I can say it. adults sayin it is just awks

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

But in all fairness I am curious to what you have to say about Enterprise, Gaming and VoIP. I think those 3 big selling features for WP8 plus many more.

In all fairness gaming might be better on a iPhone for now but you get the whole Xbox Live experience especially no Xbox Live is not only for Xbox its for Windows PC's as well so the community is only going to get stronger.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Let's see here. You're on a fan site - enthusiasts post here. Were you expecting everyone to be blase about the device of their choice? Would expect a different reaction if were "critical" on another phone site?

Also, it's funny you're a developer and you're ripping the very device you are developing for. Didn't anyone ever tell you not crap where you eat?

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
The problem-is not the features. Or apps. Or design. Or being "easy".

The problem is requirment. And Android. And refusal to jump platforms. And people.

Why can't we win more people? Because they simply don't want to join.

Let's start by looking back.

9/20/2008-Android is released:
"What's android" "Is that an iPhone?" were many thoughts of consumers. Most verizon users and sprint users saw this and jumped on it. Just because they couldn't get the iPhone.

Sprint had the Palm Pre but due to Palms inepititude and the sheeple only wanting cRapple or Hemroid... Well you know.
11/8/2010-Windows Phone is released:
Light was not shed. Android was the leader. If you wanted something else, you'd go with the iPhone. Period.

No real advertising and only one device on Sprint - The Maybe Some Day Network!

2/3/2011-iPhone is released for Verizon:
Verizon users soon found that the iPhone had taken over Verizon. Users had two options (and still do). If you were unhappy with Android you switched, or if you didn't really want to switch you sticked with android. That's why Android got popular. It was the only option and when another option came, people did not want to change everything.

Nothing changed here.

10/11/2012-iPhone is released for Sprint:
Sprint users got what they were looking for.

Uhhh.... No! Still only one OLD device for WinPhone!!! :mad:

Unless users are REQUIRED to try Windows Phone or have an extra incentive, they won't switch until the iPhone gets old. Period.

Now the real problem is showing the Sheeple that there is an alternative to cRapple & Hemroid. MS & Nokia needs something new and exciting, a game changer, something that nobody else has. Most here think it will be Nokia's Pureview... Uhhh no! That's about as exciting as a bowl of honey roasted nuts! There's only one device they can bring to the table that currently nobody has. That device is the Phon-let!!! :D Yes Samsung has the Note but it's too small; basically a poor first effort and it's running Hemroid... eww! Now Asus has the right idea with the Padfone but they put Hemroid on it and there not bringing it to the US. Don't think cRapple, Amazon & every company that makes Hemroid phones isn't looking into this. The fact that Nokia has the grim reaper looking over there shoulder isn't helping WinPhone either. If MS doesn't act quick it's gonna be HP/Palm all over again! :straight:

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Now the real problem is showing the Sheeple that there is an alternative to cRapple & Hemroid. MS & Nokia needs something new and exciting, a game changer, something that nobody else has. Most here think it will be Nokia's Pureview... Uhhh no! That's about as exciting as a bowl of honey roasted nuts! There's only one device they can bring to the table that currently nobody has. That device is the Phon-let!!! :D Yes Samsung has the Note but it's too small; basically a poor first effort and it's running Hemroid... eww! Now Asus has the right idea with the Padfone but they put Hemroid on it and there not bringing it to the US. Don't think cRapple, Amazon & every company that makes Hemroid phones isn't looking into this. The fact that Nokia has the grim reaper looking over there shoulder isn't helping WinPhone either. If MS doesn't act quick it's gonna be HP/Palm all over again! :straight:

Not even close to the Palm Pre situation

Did Palm Pre have a desktop OS to backbone momentum off?
Did Palm Pre have the largest gaming social networking backed by the most popular gaming console?
Did Palm Pre have over 100,000 apps?
Did Palm Pre have the worlds most popular Office Suite?
I know Palm Pre had Skype integrated I will give them that :p
Did Palm Pre have a music and movie marketplace?

HP wasn't as big as Microsoft and they didn't have world class services to support it. If Palm licensed the OS to OEM's maybe it would of been different but the lack of vision from the top guys at HP killed the platform.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Not even close to the Palm Pre situation

Did Palm Pre have a desktop OS to backbone momentum off?
Did Palm Pre have the largest gaming social networking backed by the most popular gaming console?
Did Palm Pre have over 100,000 apps?
Did Palm Pre have the worlds most popular Office Suite?
I know Palm Pre had Skype integrated I will give them that :p
Did Palm Pre have a music and movie marketplace?

HP wasn't as big as Microsoft and they didn't have world class services to support it. If Palm licensed the OS to OEM's maybe it would of been different but the lack of vision from the top guys at HP killed the platform.

What I mean was HP bought Palm and thought they had a slam dunk to compete with cRapple & Roid. Palm and it's wonderful WebOS already had the stinch of death on it when HP got it and then they took forever and a day to do anything.

MS has the OS but so far it hasn't done much (about 4% of the market) now they climbed aboard the SS Nokia, which is sinking fast! The perception amongst the Sheeple will be the same... WinPhone is D.O.A! Even some tech columnist don't see WinPhone as option 3 so what does that tell you?

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
What I mean was HP bought Palm and thought they had a slam dunk to compete with cRapple & Roid. Palm and it's wonderful WebOS already had the stinch of death on it when HP got it and then they took forever and a day to do anything.

MS has the OS but so far it hasn't done much (about 4% of the market) now they climbed aboard the SS Nokia, which is sinking fast! The perception amongst the Sheeple will be the same... WinPhone is D.O.A! Even some tech columnist don't see WinPhone as option 3 so what does that tell you?

MS has done a lot to the OS and are continuing to make it better see WP8. But here is the thing MS has allot to work on
1. Getting more carriers on board and finding a formula that works
2. Managing OEM's from marketing to quality control

MS is doing a pretty good job but its really up to these OEM's to market their phones

Nokia is doing a stellar job but what about big players HTC and Samsung

You see Samsung Galaxy's everywhere. Samsung Focus is Samsung's Windows flagship phone. Samsung can easily make it cheaper and market it along side the Samsung series Windows laptops and get it on more carriers.

Why is the Galaxy on Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and the Focus only on ATT see where I'm going

Speaking of HTC why do I see a commercial with a dude parachuting from a plane taking a picture on his One X. Why couldn't this be the HTC Titan 2 which has a 16MP camera?

See where I'm going

OEM's need to play their part in order for WP to succeed.

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow, didn't expect it to blow up lol.

ANYWAYS, a major problem here is carriers. AT&T SUCKS. I have AT&T and I only get EDGE, tested 10 kbps yesterday. Verizon is rolling out LTE (seriously) in May 2013. Why do I keep this sucky edge? Windows Phones. That's the answer. Verizon really needs to get a lumia (or whatever they will call it next) and titan III, pronto. I would switch for that.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow, didn't expect it to blow up lol.

ANYWAYS, a major problem here is carriers. AT&T SUCKS. I have AT&T and I only get EDGE, tested 10 kbps yesterday. Verizon is rolling out LTE (seriously) in May 2013. Why do I keep this sucky edge? Windows Phones. That's the answer. Verizon really needs to get a lumia (or whatever they will call it next) and titan III, pronto. I would switch for that.
It's been confirmed. That verizon will get a nokia lumia device

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I actually do,wonder if samsung get a note sized wp. I think it would be finewith onenote and stuff. Though it would need a special version of wp8

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site

my time here is a finite resource. I am not about to waste it checking thru the post history of every poster on this site trying to see if I can get a feel for who/what they are like. Especially not someone with only 10 posts on the site (and several of those posts are in this very thread). Regardless, I'm done with you since you still have nothing constructive to add to the discussion despite being given plenty of opportunities to contribute some meaningful content. Welcome to my ignore list.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
my time here is a finite resource. I am not about to waste it checking thru the post history of every poster on this site trying to see if I can get a feel for who/what they are like. Especially not someone with only 10 posts on the site (and several of those posts are in this very thread). Regardless, I'm done with you since you still have nothing constructive to add to the discussion despite being given plenty of opportunities to contribute some meaningful content. Welcome to my ignore list.
i agree with you my friend. We wp fanboys stick with each other. And we help people aren't i right

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
But in all fairness I am curious to what you have to say about Enterprise, Gaming and VoIP. I think those 3 big selling features for WP8 plus many more.

In all fairness gaming might be better on a iPhone for now but you get the whole Xbox Live experience especially no Xbox Live is not only for Xbox its for Windows PC's as well so the community is only going to get stronger.

I think OpenGL is stronger than DirectX in the mobile space because ios, android and even the upcoming bb10 use OpenGL. It makes it far easier to develop cross platform game for the mobile space the dev cost is low.

You make good points about enterprise but it didn't help rim, 2 years ago we were telling rim the same thing and look at the **** they are in now. Ms needs a game changer not a similar product

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
That's really ironic considering your signature.

Anyways...

It seems to me this market is unlike any other out there. As things become popular, they tend to take on a life of their own. And the appeals are not universal. Android folks love the hardware specs of their phones and Apple people love the apps. It doesn't make any sense. At all.

I come from a Blackberry background and I still think they are the most fundamentally sound device out there still. As much as folks like to point and laugh at them, they run rings around everyone else at the things they are known for. But they'll die a slow death because they don't have quad core processors and you can't get Angry Birds.

I have a windows phone but am tearing my hair out trying to get it to connect to my work exchange server. They're both Microsoft products. They should integrate seamlessly.

Sometimes I feel like saying "screw it" and just getting my old ruggedized Sanyo dumbphone back.:p
WP is seamless with Exchange 2007 and 2010. I know this to be true. You or your IT dept are doing something wrong.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Group Policy and Active Directory support. Being able to register your WP8 to a domain and push settings down through group policy. Can you do that on a Android or iPhone. Also WP is more secure than Android

Yes Skype is available VIA app but come on integration is so much better and easier to use. A Skype calling coming in like a normal phone call. Being able to just call out using Skype WiFi that's already a better experience. Integration better than application that is all I have to say.

In regards to DX games there are tons of DX games like Batman AA. Imagine being able to play on your PC and continue on your Windows Phone that is the type of integration we might be able to see.

Also with tight integration with your Windows PC why bother using something else unless you use a MAC or is heavily invested in Google services
Those things existed in WM 6.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo