Why Windows Phone hasn't caught on...(Revised from March-ish 2012)

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
WP is seamless with Exchange 2007 and 2010. I know this to be true. You or your IT dept are doing something wrong.
Then there must be something I'm missing. We are running Server 2008 SBS - I know the domain name, exchange server name etc and yet the only way I'm getting on is through our web client.

If I'm missing something, I'm all ears...

andrewkim789

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Its hard to make a big splash

WP are only available on T-Mobile and AT&T
T-Mobile = 1 handset
ATT = 3 handset
Verizon, Sprint and other carriers = No phones

WP8 should change that

Really? WP7s are on multiple carriers including Verizon (1 Device) , Sprint (1 Device), AT&T (7 devices, I think?) , T-Mobile (I think there are 3) , and even more. Where do you get this information?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The reason WP7 hasn't caught on?

MS's strategy was to make a compelling OS, and let OEMs and carriers advertise the actual products.

Carriers and OEMs didn't do squat until Nokia. And Nokia has only had hardware out there for a little while.

It takes a while to build mind share. But it's like the process barely started since no OEMs were doing it before.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The reason WP7 hasn't caught on?

MS's strategy was to make a compelling OS, and let OEMs and carriers advertise the actual products.

Carriers and OEMs didn't do squat until Nokia. And Nokia has only had hardware out there for a little while.

It takes a while to build mind share. But it's like the process barely started since no OEMs were doing it before.
Well...

You made THAT sound pretty simple......

:-D

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
But this time almost all major us carriers are backing windows phone 8. Certainly a game changed here with RIM dying quickly

Definitely.

The carriers, as loathsome as they can be, are our friends here. None of them want to be locked in to only iPhone and Android as their choices. They know it gives Apple and Google too much power over them. If anything, they'd probably like to see RIM survive AND Windows Phone gain some market.

You may not always see this evidenced in the stores, but that is because the guys who sell the phones aren't exactly tuned into corporate strategy, they just want to push whichever phone is going to get them the biggest spiff, usually Android, and most of them love Android because they are dorks who get off on 5 1/2" screens and quad core processors that still can't render a UI smoothly and they think everyone else should too.

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
APPLE is about to make a big mistake with their next iPhone.... The 4" screen is nothing compared to the Galaxy s 3. I hope Microsoft releases wp8 at the same time as the new iPhone... Because people will not be blown away. This will be the opportunity for Windows to get something going because people will be looking for something else.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Really? WP7s are on multiple carriers including Verizon (1 Device) , Sprint (1 Device), AT&T (7 devices, I think?) , T-Mobile (I think there are 3) , and even more. Where do you get this information?

Come on now... The WP on Verizon and sprint aren't even Mango phones and are shoved in Android stockpile its not like their actually pushing it but its still there.

The reason why I didn't list them is because they are putting no effort in selling these devise while ATT and Tmobile are.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I think OpenGL is stronger than DirectX in the mobile space because ios, android and even the upcoming bb10 use OpenGL. It makes it far easier to develop cross platform game for the mobile space the dev cost is low.

You make good points about enterprise but it didn't help rim, 2 years ago we were telling rim the same thing and look at the **** they are in now. Ms needs a game changer not a similar product

Yeah you might be right but Direct X can change the game. Like I said imagine playing Batman Arkam City on your Xbox 360. Continue it on your Work PC then play it on the way home on your Windows Phone 8 device.

With Direct X we might see more console gets hit the phones and XBLA games as well.

For enterprise. RIM's solution was kinda meh with AD, Group Policy and the ability to have your own Enterprise app store is huge

Matchoo

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
APPLE is about to make a big mistake with their next iPhone.... The 4" screen is nothing compared to the Galaxy s 3. I hope Microsoft releases wp8 at the same time as the new iPhone... Because people will not be blown away. This will be the opportunity for Windows to get something going because people will be looking for something else.

I don't think they're making a big mistake at all. Not everyone wants a gargantuan screen.

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they're making a big mistake at all. Not everyone wants a gargantuan screen.
Steve Jobs said the same thing and they lost their lead in the market because of that idealogy. A 4.3 or 4.7 Iphone would ELIMINATE all competition... the S3 is just as elegant as the iphone. Most people THINK they don't want a gargantuan screen... until they use it for more than 10 minutes... then there's no turning back.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Apple will eventually offer an iPhone with a large screen. Then we'll hear about how all the other large screened phones are copying Apple.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
we are in the age of simplicity and instant gratification. the more technology the less people there is to know how to use it properly. its mostly the technophobes that have gave up on microsoft after vista. people follow the majority and go with the flow. think of ios as coke, android as pepsi, and windows phone is docter pepper. you need to look at demographics to understand reasons behind stock market prices and product sales.

metro ui is a new generation of computing ahead of its time. dont be surprised by slow adoption rate. mac osx was in a simular position in 2001 except it was in second place day one of launch. windows phone started in 4th and has moved to 3rd.

soon windows phone will be so mainstream people will find a different ecosystem. it happens with all ecosystems. except microsoft has a huge advantage with multiple manufactures for variety and innovation.

Matchoo

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Steve Jobs said the same thing and they lost their lead in the market because of that idealogy. A 4.3 or 4.7 Iphone would ELIMINATE all competition... the S3 is just as elegant as the iphone. Most people THINK they don't want a gargantuan screen... until they use it for more than 10 minutes... then there's no turning back.

Not true. I went from iPhone to the Galaxy Nexus, didn't like the large size and went back to iPhone 4S quite happily.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

I disagree.

Apple makes one phone. If they come out with a ridiculous 4.9" screen like every dumb Android phone has, they will alienate a lot of people.

A lot of women, and people without huge pockets or hands like an NBA all-star really don't want a stupid-sized phone.

4" or so is actually just about right. My Lumia 900 is my second 4.3" phone and I'm actually regretting the size a bit. It's just not as comfortable to use one-handed as a smaller phone is.

Apple cares more about ergonomics and subtle design qualities that Samsung just doesn't. Samsung is happy to make their phones out of the chintziest feeling plastic the world has ever seen just to keep them a few grams lighter and less expensive to make. Samsung is happy to make a 5.3" phone even though it looks absurd and just goes against any kind of principle of good design.

That's cool though, their MO is to make 150,000 different phones called "Galaxy" and they figure they'll get you with one of them. Apple's MO is to make ONE phone and make it as close to perfect as they can. Much more admirable and more difficult to accomplish. If you look at the sales figures, Apple sells many, many MANY more iPhone's than Samsung does of any single model they have.

Android is perfect for people who value quantity over quality. Where does it end? The screens just keep getting bigger, the colors more over-saturated. The plastics thinner, flimsier and glossier. It's like a race to Idiocracy.

Personally I'm hoping Nokia brings a nice Lumia 800 sized phone here with WP8 and good specs and they don't go the route of Android where the better the phone is, the bigger it gets and if you want a smaller phone you have to settle for economy junk.

I really hope that doesn't happen because I would like something smaller than my Lumia 900 next time. There's no reason you can't fit the same sized screen with more resolution in a slightly smaller chassis. That would be perfect actually. 4.0"-4.3" tops. I don't want 4.3" unless the screen is pushed to the very edges and the phone is as compact as possible.

The Android world has gone insane with everyone carrying a freaking tablet in their pocket. So stupid.

The iPhone 5 will do very, very well. Believe me, most people don't want an plasma TV in their pocket.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No, instead people will say that larger screens are "too big" and Apple got it just right. :p

They are. And they will. :)

Once you go beyond a size that is comfortable to use one-handed, you're making a compromise that you shouldn't be making in a device that is intended to be used one-handed most of the time.

That is the difference between having design principles and just building phones like Detroit built cars.

There is something to be said for restraint and sticking to some practical guidelines instead of just making everything bigger and bigger every year.

WP Fan in Cleveland

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think the two biggest reasons, at least from a purely subjective pov, is 1) it's greatest strength, the built in integrations with popular services, is also it's greatest weakness, and 2) getting trounced in the spec war.

But I think first and foremost, the problem is that the way phone is designed, with those deep integrations, just doesn't demo well to in a 'elevator pitch' scenerio like selling a phone. Paul Thurrott said it best, that what really makes the phone, is when you log in and suddenly YOUR stuff starts filling it up- photos, FB, twitter, etc. And I don't think that's a concept people can understand until they see that- and no matter how much someone explains that, they really need to see and experience it to understand how it fundamentally changes how they think of and use a modern smartphone.

And that leads to number 2- because right now, I think the average consumer only knows 'apps', and spec buzzwords, like multiple core, 3d, etc. And so those people that believe those things are important- aren't going to give WP7.5 a passing glance, when they walk into that store. And the fact that there's a new 'best phone ever' every freaking month, means that's what people are going to ask for.

Ultimately, I think the one thing that solves both problems is Win8/WP8. It will be able to have specs that should compete well with android phones, which should at least keep it in the ballpark. And also, if Win 8 is as succesfull as we think it will be, then people will get used to the idea of Metro and live tiles, and the idea of more integrated experiences within the core of the OS itself. And also, tier 1 developers WILL develop for Win 8, and therefore it should be much much miuch easier to port those apps to WP.

I think that's why Verizon and TMobile have been publically supportive of WP8- they realize once Win 8 does come out, with the full marketing blitz that will happen for it, and the buzz around Surface, etc, that the environment that they are selling WP8 into will be very different.

At least, I hope so. I love my Lumia 900, and would hate to be forced to android in the next 4 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077