Windows Phone has terrible video playback, or what?

MathiasVerden

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
One of the major issues with Windows Phone is video playback. By video playback i mean all internet content. YouTube video's and everything that's not downloaded to the phone loads -really- slow and even the best YouTube clients lag a lot in the beginning, it's extremely annoying. It could just be the single-core, but what do you guys think? I have an HTC Titan.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Might be your internet connection, also YouTube usually loads slower than other video sites because of the load on their servers so it isn't WP.

TMavZR1

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
One of the major issues with Windows Phone is video playback. By video playback i mean all internet content. YouTube video's and everything that's not downloaded to the phone loads -really- slow and even the best YouTube clients lag a lot in the beginning, it's extremely annoying. It could just be the single-core, but what do you guys think? I have an HTC Titan.
No issue here. Stream video all the time on Wi-Fi and occationally 4G and LTE.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
With my old Focus on 3g, I did experience a bit of turbulence when watching YouTube, but the Lumia 900 performs much better.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Definitely a data problem at your end.

I watch Netflix on my phone all the time and it works flawlessly. (AT&T)

We've had LTE rolling out in my area, so I get an LTE connection about 60-70% of the time now, when I have that, it's fast and crystal clear just like on my television or WiFi connection. Actually I've had so many problems with Comcast lately, I've actually been using the phone to watch a Netflix show before bed some nights. My LTE connection is faster and more reliable than my Comcast home internet, kind of pathetic.

If I'm on HSPA+ it's still not bad, maybe just a bit of graininess as the movie queues up and gets loaded into cache or whatever, but I haven't had a movie pause to catch up or lose significant quality yet.

Youtube works well the few times that I use it. But youtube has it's own issues. Even on my computer with a very fast connection at work sometimes it lags. That's just youtube being youtube.

This definitely has absolutely nothing to do with how many cores your processor has. Any smartphone made in the last 5 years with a decent processor and a reasonable amount of RAM can stream video smoothly. Anything outside of that is a data connection/performance issue IMO.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Definitely a data problem at your end.

I watch Netflix on my phone all the time and it works flawlessly. (AT&T)

We've had LTE rolling out in my area, so I get an LTE connection about 60-70% of the time now, when I have that, it's fast and crystal clear just like on my television or WiFi connection. Actually I've had so many problems with Comcast lately, I've actually been using the phone to watch a Netflix show before bed some nights. My LTE connection is faster and more reliable than my Comcast home internet, kind of pathetic.

If I'm on HSPA+ it's still not bad, maybe just a bit of graininess as the movie queues up and gets loaded into cache or whatever, but I haven't had a movie pause to catch up or lose significant quality yet.

Youtube works well the few times that I use it. But youtube has it's own issues. Even on my computer with a very fast connection at work sometimes it lags. That's just youtube being youtube.

This definitely has absolutely nothing to do with how many cores your processor has. Any smartphone made in the last 5 years with a decent processor and a reasonable amount of RAM can stream video smoothly. Anything outside of that is a data connection/performance issue IMO.

Comcast having problems? That's unusual, maybe they're doing maintenance or upgrades, here in Chicagoland they're almost flawless.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Comcast having problems? That's unusual, maybe they're doing maintenance or upgrades, here in Chicagoland they're almost flawless.

Honestly I'm almost certain it's an issue in the lines between my house and the street, but getting Comcast to cooperate and just come out and fix it properly is easier said than done. All they do is keep telling my girlfriend nonsense. They sent one guy out who did nothing, then on the phone they tell her to reboot the modem 3 times a day, replace the splitter, this and that. Everything but actually solve the problem. They have easily the WORST customer service of any company I have dealt with in memory.

suvastallions

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Never had problems with my Lumia 800

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I'm almost certain it's an issue in the lines between my house and the street, but getting Comcast to cooperate and just come out and fix it properly is easier said than done. All they do is keep telling my girlfriend nonsense. They sent one guy out who did nothing, then on the phone they tell her to reboot the modem 3 times a day, replace the splitter, this and that. Everything but actually solve the problem. They have easily the WORST customer service of any company I have dealt with in memory.

Probably need an amp or all new cabling. They did top the worst customer service lists a few years back.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Video does hiccup occasionally on my Lumia 900, be it streaming content or downloaded videos. Video playback will slow/stop for a second, and then it will speed up and get into sync again. audio playback not affected.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I had some buffering issues with my Focus S, but with the L900 video plays flawless.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
All the video I watch on my L900, streamed and on-device, runs smooth as slim. No hiccups.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss