Unsure android user. Help!

Flippzii

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys!
I just joined the forum and it seems like a really nice place! Now I have some questions. I'm currently on a Galaxy s2 that I've had for a year now and the latest months my phone has started to be a pain to use. Those mini freezes and lags while scrolling have only been increasing, and i have to reboot the phone at least one time a day. And It's starting to piss me off. So I started to look around for other OS and i have always liked the style of Windows Phone. So i started to looking after what kind of Wp phones that are available for now, and the lumia series look really good!
But I'm stil unsure if wp can handle my needs. I am a heavy customizer that loves to tweak my phone. Do windows phone have any abilities of tweaking? (changing icons, color, icon placement, backgrounds etc.)

I know that windows phone doesn't have the biggest amount of apps but does it have my everyday apps?
-Facebook
-YouTube
-Reddit client
-news reader
-Gmail
-forum client like tapatalk
-instagram
-whatsapp
-soundhound
-an eq

And I've heard that wp had some problems with basic features in the beginning, are that problem solved now? Usb-storage mode for example? Autorotation switch? You know the basics..

And with a overall comparison android vs. Wp. What are the differences in features? Because I don't want to switch over to wp and be surprised by that a feature is missing that I thought was standard. (No offense against wp here)
And I'm not a rich guy so about one phone in 1.5 years is what I can afford. so should I wait for the release of wp8?

I hope you can answer my questions!
Best regards Kevin!

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Almost all of the apps you want are available on WP7 (EQ, reddit and Instagram are the only ones i havn't seen).

I wouldn't recommend a WP7 now, unless stupid cheap. I'd wait for WP8 personally.

Flippzii

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Okey but Reddit and eq is fine I survive without them but instagram is very important! Got to do some research if they're planning to make it available for wp :/ right just what I thought better wait for wp8 :)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone has auto-rotation, just some screens do not have a landscape mode (most notably the home screen and lock screen). USB Mass Storage is rumoured to be coming in WP8, and I would definitely recommend you wait for the full WP8 announcement before making a decision.

There is an outstanding Reddit app for the platform - Baconit - but unfortunately no equaliser as of yet (a third-party app is currently not able to tap into such system-wide features), nor an Instagram client that can post.

But let me stress this to you - if you're a tweaker, stay on Android. It's simply the best choice out there if you're the type who wants their things in a meticulous way, and can better the competition after a large amount of tweaking.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to be an Android hater here, but I find it interesting that apparently one the the most important features of a smartphone today is the ability to tweak and customize. Where did that come from? Was is born of the fully customizable Windows desktop? Or someplace else.

I spent a bunch of time tweaking my WM devices, with multiple Start screens, plug-ins and tweaks of all types and flavors. With WP, aside from a few small things I had available in WM, I don't really miss any of that.

Ok, back on topic.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You realize there is a direct connection between "tweaking" and "re-booting once a day".

MS learned this from it's WM days and is more focused on giving the average consumer the best experience possible, if that results in some restrictions on how much tweaking will be permitted, then so be it.

Personally, I've had my 710 for two weeks now, and the only reboot it has had was accidental, when I dropped it, and the backcover and battery came out. I've seen reports of over 100 days of continuous running.

I'm past the point of wanting to mess with my phone constantly, I just want something that works. The 710 was cheap and is my stop-gap measure until WP8 comes out.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Almost all of the apps you want are available on WP7 (EQ, reddit and Instagram are the only ones i havn't seen).

I wouldn't recommend a WP7 now, unless stupid cheap. I'd wait for WP8 personally.

There is a reddit app its called baconit.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys!
I just joined the forum and it seems like a really nice place! Now I have some questions. I'm currently on a Galaxy s2 that I've had for a year now and the latest months my phone has started to be a pain to use. Those mini freezes and lags while scrolling have only been increasing, and i have to reboot the phone at least one time a day. And It's starting to piss me off.

Yup. Android sucks. I'm an Android refugee too. Welcome. :cool:

But I'm stil unsure if wp can handle my needs. I am a heavy customizer that loves to tweak my phone. Do windows phone have any abilities of tweaking? (changing icons, color, icon placement, backgrounds etc.)

You can change some basic things, like accent colors, icon (tile) placement and some resizing ability of icons (tiles) is coming in Windows Phone 7.8 and 8.0. However there is nothing like the crazy level of "tweaking" you can do in Android and with good reason. Windows Phone and iOS are both designed with stability, order and performance as higher priorities than "tweakability". Personally I don't miss any of the tweaking. An interface that is well designed to begin with shouldn't leave you with an itch to constantly change it IMO.

I've seen a few people come over from Android and realize just how much time they were wasting fiddling with home screens and custom icons and this or that and just find they were content with a clean, well designed UI that flows and transitions smoother than Android ever will.

Bottom line, if tweaking icons and home screens and altering the appearance is your favorite part of using your phone, even if it's in your top 3, then Windows Phone might not be for you.

If you're ready to let most of that go in the interest of overcoming those mini freezes, lags, and crashes, then you've come to the right place. You'll love Windows Phone.

I know that windows phone doesn't have the biggest amount of apps but does it have my everyday apps?

-Facebook

Yes, Facebook is well integrated into the People Hub, so much so that I don't even use the application, but there is an application available too if you want all the functionality. It's good, but not great, just like any Facebook app. I find the built in integration much nicer.

Yes, SuperTube I believe it's called, plus most YouTube videos will play right in your browser.

-Reddit client

YES, the best Reddit client you will find on ANY smartphone, Baconit. And it's only available on Windows Phone.

-news reader

There are couple, like Pulse, NextGen Reader, Weave, The selection isn't a big as Android, just like anything else, but there are enough good ones that I think you'd be satisfied.

Not a dedicated Gmail app that I'm aware of, not sure why anyone would need that though.

-forum client like tapatalk

There's a handful, Board Express Pro is one. Nothing spectacular though. I'm thinking the Android selection is probably better.

-instagram

No official app. Probably won't be until Windows Phone 8. There are some clones/alternatives but I haven't tried any of them.

-whatsapp

Yes.

Yes, and it will be fully integrated into the OS in Windows Phone 8, no need for a separate app.

-Weather app

Sure, there's a nice selection of these.

-soundhound

Yes we have this app, and there is similar functionality built-in to the Bing search, it works great.

Only when included as an OEM app with specific phones as far as I know. I believe the HTC Titan II has one. My Nokia Lumia 900 does not.

And I've heard that wp had some problems with basic features in the beginning, are that problem solved now? Usb-storage mode for example? Autorotation switch? You know the basics..

Nope, those problems aren't solved. You'll have to wait for Windows Phone 8 on both, which is what I would recommend anyone looking at buying a Windows Phone to do anyway.

And with a overall comparison android vs. Wp. What are the differences in features? Because I don't want to switch over to wp and be surprised by that a feature is missing that I thought was standard. (No offense against wp here)
And I'm not a rich guy so about one phone in 1.5 years is what I can afford. so should I wait for the release of wp8?

You should absolutely wait for WP8. The reason I have a Windows Phone is about 4 months ago I was ready to throw my Android into a brick wall I was so aggravated with it. I needed a new phone and I didn't really care about the money or what was coming out in a year. I needed one ASAP. I was done with Android and not totally sold on the iPhone.

If you can tolerate your Android until the fall, by all means, wait and get a WP8 phone.

Early indications are that WP8 will address most if not all of the "missing features" and other lingering complaints about WP7. You still will not have the kind of tweaking you get on an Android though, I don't think you're ever going to see that on another phone because it compromises consistency and reliability with most average users care a lot more about than being able to make their home screen look like the Tardis control room.

Windows Phone is a great choice for someone who values a very well integrated OS that displays information clearly and requires a minimum amount of hopping around from app to app to get things done. It has built-in Microsoft Office apps which are great, the way it manages your contacts (People Hub) I think is far more innovative and useful than anything else out there.

When you get down to it, a phone is first and foremost a communications device. What Windows Phone does is focus on getting the fundamentals as elegantly simple and fluid as possible and to understand what IT is meant to do for you and stay out of your way.

What Android does is basically try to be all things to all people, leave itself wide open to any carrier or OEM or developer to do whatever they like with, basically few or no rules, the same for users. The result is you can see some real crazy different variations out there, but it also means you get no consistency, predictability and reliability is compromised.

At the end of the day, do you want to use your phone to get things done, communicate and maybe play a game or two? or do you get most of your enjoyment out of spending hours tinkering and tweaking how it's configured, how it looks etc. If you're in the second category, just stick with Android.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
HTC is the only OEM that provides a sound enhancer for their WP models. It provides SRS enhancements which converts stereo material into 5.1 surround sound over headphones and speakers and also restores lost information in compressed files. Because of the latter my 64k wma pro files sound exactly the same as the Zune pass wma files.

Flippzii

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Just as it seemed this is a an awsome community! Okey you guys have really answered all my questions! You guys have really gave me an new perspective of tweaking. If the system is bad you may have a need of tweaking it. But if the system is designed well there's no need of tweaking it superhard.

If it's like you guys say that all the basic features will be in wp8 it will be a clear choice for me.

HKAce

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Just as it seemed this is a an awsome community! Okey you guys have really answered all my questions! You guys have really gave me an new perspective of tweaking. If the system is bad you may have a need of tweaking it. But if the system is designed well there's no need of tweaking it superhard.

If it's like you guys say that all the basic features will be in wp8 it will be a clear choice for me.
definitely, before i got my lumia 710 i was a andriod fan, i loved andriod but once i got my lumia 710 i was sold to windows phones, im gonna stick to windows phone as long as they go.

Flippzii

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
definitely, before i got my lumia 710 i was a andriod fan, i loved andriod but once i got my lumia 710 i was sold to windows phones, im gonna stick to windows phone as long as they go.

But are there any lack of features that's annoying you in the everyday life with your phone? Compared to android of course.

EDIT: and do you think it's a big problem with the different amount of apps? And are there as many free apps in the Windows market as it's in the android Market?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
But are there any lack of features that's annoying you in the everyday life with your phone? Compared to android of course.

EDIT: and do you think it's a big problem with the different amount of apps? And are there as many free apps in the Windows market as it's in the android Market?

Having come from Android myself, there's nothing that I miss personally. Like you said, the customisation stuff is only necessary if the OS needs it to perform properly; there seems to be more customisation available in WP8 anyway, but it's more in line with personalising your home screen.

As for apps; there are still some bigger names that haven't launched on the platform yet like Instagram and Reddit. But, there are some excellent alternatives available currently. I should add at this point that while there are alternatives for making Instagram-like images, and there are viewers for Instagram images; their API is limited to viewing only, so no unofficial Instagram app will be able to upload. Alternatives like Fhotoroom have their own communities though.

The Windows Phone marketplace works slightly differently from Play and the App Store because rather than having free versions of apps (although there are plenty of free apps available) most developers allow a trial version of the app. Usually these are ad supported or feature/time limited, but they give a good idea of the full app.

HKAce

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

there is nothingg i personnally miss, windows fullfills all the needs and most wants that i have. as for free apps there are already around 100,000 apps made to date and its still growing. and plus if there are any apps that are missing in 7.5 they are most defiently going to come in windows 8. there are alot of free apps but most of the paid apps also havce trails which are really nice since most of them just have ads in the trail and you can use them normally otherwise but others have trails for limited amount of days and things like that. if your anything like me you will probably enjoy wp phones, but you might need to have some patience since windows 8 will be brand new and some bugs maybe found just like in any new os that comes out but other than that i would defiently highly recommend windows phones just make sure the maufactuer (srry for spelling) like nokia or htc that is running the wp 8 is of good quality i personally recommend wp with nokia but thats just my opinion :)

Flippzii

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Okey, it's decided, my next phone will be a wp8 phone! Now I can't wait to see the first leaks, prototypes and rumors until launch.

Thanks for all your great answers!

Flippzii

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
What is wrong with Gmail? My main mail is a hotmail though, I use my Gmail for signing up on places I know I'm going to get spam on... ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte