Wife turned down an iPhone 4

bradtech

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
My wife is the opposite. I got her to go with the Lumia 900 and we sold her iPhone 4. Some things have bothered her. The inability to send video messages via text, missing app selection compared to iphone, Does not care for People Hub and sticks with facebook app, some of the apps that are on Windows Phone that iPhone has aren't as good as the iPhone version or misses certain functions/features their iPhone counterparts do. I think she just is one of the people who loves iPhone and when you ask them why they can't really name the reasons. The ones I mentioned are the only valid reasons I can find to switch back. I told her to wait for more app selection to come and upgrades to come but that isn't going to happen now probably. These crappy apps Microsoft paid someone to write just to have it on the platform and probably going to stay the same and dead for the WP7 ecosystem and new stuff arise for Windows 8 RT/Arm marketplace.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the main reason my wife hates iOS is because of iTunes. We had tried WP7 before getting 4s phones. We were coming off of webOS phones and she was upset about the app selection and decided we should switch to iOS. I was a little miffed about the small storage on the phones and agreed, at the time. Fast forward to today and she is not liking the iPhone, but we're waiting for 8.

One thing may be a deal breaker though. Both of us have VW's with stock Bluetooth stereos. If the BT doesn't at least have the same functionality on WP8 as our iPhones have, we may not make the leap back. I've read posts that certain features are lacking in WP7 and won't work with our stereos. Although those same threads contend the 4s lacks those features, yet they connect, allow us to make calls and stream music... So maybe we will be OK??? Crossing fingers.

Oh, also wish Nokia would add an led for missed calls, messages, notifications, etc.

It's late, night all.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, Microsoft makes money from most Android devices sold. So if you're an MSFT shareholder you should be happy with Android sales. If MSFT would've still had the Apple shares they sold in 2003 (which they held since they saved that company when Jobs came back) it would be a different story.

If you an MSFT fan, you shouldn't be happy unless people buy MSFT products ;-)

A lot of people make money from Android devices sold, the same way I'm sure Apple and Microsoft pay licensing fees for the IP they use in their products. Not sure why it's even worth mentioning that Microsoft gets paid for their IP. Every Android Manufacturer pays them for using ActiveSync in the mail client, too :p There's a reason why smartphone profit margins are so cut-throat these days. A lot of it has to do with the patent royalties that must be paid.

Microsoft having those shares wouldn't have done much of anything, the same way I doubt their stake in Facebook has any factorable impact on how Facebook would choose to deal with Microsoft. The biggest benefit Microsoft got wasn't the shares but some of the cross licensing agreements they struck with Apple.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, I think that's why Verizon likes to push Android--they'll make more money because the subsidy is smaller.

And it seems it's the high-end LTE phones that are selling for $300. I don't think that LTE justifies the price hike, but people are paying it anyway.

Only Verizon are doing that, and yea, it's a bit ridiculous that they charge that much for subsidized LTE devices, when AT&T is charging less than half hte price in many cases. The Sony Ion and Atrix HD launched on AT&T for $99 and you can get Skyrockets, Vivids, and Nitro HDs for $49-99. $300 for a subsidized LTE phone is highway robbery, especially a CDMA/LTE devices that is only compatible with GSM/EDGE Bands (if world phone) and wholly incompatible with other LTE networks (except those that bandwagon Verizon's network).

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
My wife is the opposite. I got her to go with the Lumia 900 and we sold her iPhone 4. Some things have bothered her. The inability to send video messages via text, missing app selection compared to iphone, Does not care for People Hub and sticks with facebook app, some of the apps that are on Windows Phone that iPhone has aren't as good as the iPhone version or misses certain functions/features their iPhone counterparts do. I think she just is one of the people who loves iPhone and when you ask them why they can't really name the reasons. The ones I mentioned are the only valid reasons I can find to switch back. I told her to wait for more app selection to come and upgrades to come but that isn't going to happen now probably. These crappy apps Microsoft paid someone to write just to have it on the platform and probably going to stay the same and dead for the WP7 ecosystem and new stuff arise for Windows 8 RT/Arm marketplace.

Actually it's the opposite,alot of the WP apps are better looking and functioning than the iOS/Android versions. Microsoft didn't pay anyone to write crapps the crapps that are in the marketplace are from developers who were just playing around, there are crapps on every platform, Not just WP.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The 3.5" iPhone display bothers me as well. (It bothers me enough so I wouldn't use it.) Ridiculously small.

Hopefully, the next iPhone is 4.7". I say 4.7" because I know Apple won't update the form factor again for another 2 years and, by then, all our phones will be even more ridiculously large than they are now.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
By the way, if you like Windows Phone, you can thank Apple.

Microsoft was going to release a crappy re-hash of Windows Mobile that looked like an abominable mixture of Mac OS X icons and WM 6.5 before Apple came along with the iPhone. By Microsoft's OWN admission, the iPhone sent them back to the drawing board to do something better and totally different.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/190940.htm

Same goes for Google and Android. Android looked like a warmed over Blackberry OS before they saw the iPhone.

And that's why competition is good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett