Wife turned down an iPhone 4

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
My wife was having an issue with her Titan; mainly it would break into two pieces every time it had a hard bump.
I traded someone for my old Titan (since I have been trying out a Galaxy Nexus) for their iPhone 4 to try and keep her happy until WP8 designs start selling. Since she use to have an iPhone I figured she'd be fine.

She hated it! She prefered her Titan 1 (even breaking apart often) over the iPhone. I can't remember her exact reasons, but I think it was mainly the lack of live icons, the tiny 3.5 inch screen, and the camera (I was surprised she likes the Titan's photos more, because I have heard so many times that the iPhone takes great photos).

So, we sold the iPhone on Ebay and bought a Titan 2 with the earnings.

She loves the Titan 2 :) The only thing we are surprised about is that it's difficult to tell if and how much the pictures are better on the TITAN 2 vs the TITAN 1. They both take really good pictures.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy as long as people stay away from Apple. Google and MS is fine but I do not like Apple at all and their way of running a business these days so I'm glad every time I hear someone puts off Apple. And on top of that their OS is just plain boring. MS should have Apple's spot. I believe that sometime in the future that will happen also but it might take many many years.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
As a MSFT fan, you should be on Apple's side, not Google's. There's a reason they both sue the **** out of Google but not each other.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
There's no way I can be on Apple's side because of the way they are acting. Patent trolling, overpricing products, slow evolution of their own OS... they basically take a dump on their customers and everyone just accepts it.

I still like Android for what it is. Much prefer WP though. Apple I just strongly dislike. Very much so.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
There's no way I can be on Apple's side because of the way they are acting. Patent trolling, overpricing products, slow evolution of their own OS... they basically take a dump on their customers and everyone just accepts it.

I still like Android for what it is. Much prefer WP though. Apple I just strongly dislike. Very much so.
Apple is actually the reason phone prices are so low. I prefer Apple over Android. When Android was originally announced, the original designs looked exactly like a BlackBerry copycat. After the iPhone, the G1 was born.

Before the iPhone, the high-end smartphone devices were being priced at $250-$300 on a two year commitment. Now, they are all being priced at no more than $250, and usually $200. In the case of Nokia and WP, under that price point.

Like btbam91 said, there is a reason both Microsoft and Apple are gunning for Android.

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Apple is actually the reason phone prices are so low. NI prefer Apple over Android. When Android was originally announced, the original designs looked exactly like a BlackBerry copycat. After the iPhone, the G1 was born.

Before the iPhone, the high-end smartphone devices were being priced at $250-$300 on a two year commitment. Now, they are all being priced at no more than $250, and usually $200. In the case of Nokia and WP, under that price point.

Like btbam91 said, there is a reason both Microsoft and Apple are gunning for Android.

Agreed. Apple has no choice but to gun at android. They want android out same as ms wants google gone from USA. Honestly. Apple will want wp to succeed. They will welcome them in the us

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
As a MSFT fan, you should be on Apple's side, not Google's. There's a reason they both sue the **** out of Google but not each other.

Well, Microsoft makes money from most Android devices sold. So if you're an MSFT shareholder you should be happy with Android sales. If MSFT would've still had the Apple shares they sold in 2003 (which they held since they saved that company when Jobs came back) it would be a different story.

If you an MSFT fan, you shouldn't be happy unless people buy MSFT products ;-)

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Apple is actually the reason phone prices are so low. I prefer Apple over Android. When Android was originally announced, the original designs looked exactly like a BlackBerry copycat. After the iPhone, the G1 was born.

Of course, in Apple's case the phone is 200$ but the carriers pay twice the subsidies they do on Nokia or Samsung phones. There's a reason carriers want a 3rd option, they want a good OS on good devices that will force Apple to lower their price. Android didn't really do that.

If you look at unlocked phone prices, the iphone costs more than the windows mobile 5 phones cost 7-8 years ago and a more than the lumia phones.

I was shocked when I saw an Android phone at a Verizon store for 300$ with two year contract, that's crazy

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Of course, in Apple's case the phone is 200$ but the carriers pay twice the subsidies they do on Nokia or Samsung phones. There's a reason carriers want a 3rd option, they want a good OS on good devices that will force Apple to lower their price. Android didn't really do that.

If you look at unlocked phone prices, the iphone costs more than the windows mobile 5 phones cost 7-8 years ago and a more than the lumia phones.

I was shocked when I saw an Android phone at a Verizon store for 300$ with two year contract, that's crazy

Exactly, I think that's why Verizon likes to push Android--they'll make more money because the subsidy is smaller.

And it seems it's the high-end LTE phones that are selling for $300. I don't think that LTE justifies the price hike, but people are paying it anyway.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess Steve Wozniak will at least ;)

Well, Gizmodo did an article on the stuff the Woz carries around with him and there was no Lumia to be seen. So it's seems he did not like it enough to stick with it:

The Amazing Contents of Steve Wozniak's Travel Backpack

EDIT: Actually, there is a quote from him about the Lumia in the comments:

"I think highly of the visual appearance of things on my Lumia 900. It's not able to be a main phone of mine yet due to limited voice actions (I need and want something like SIRI) and voice dictation. I wouldn't tell anyone it's a lousy phone. Microsoft did a lot that does not look anything like other smartphones on the screen and I applaud them."

eLseStudio

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
My wife was having an issue with her Titan; mainly it would break into two pieces every time it had a hard bump.
I traded someone for my old Titan (since I have been trying out a Galaxy Nexus) for their iPhone 4 to try and keep her happy until WP8 designs start selling. Since she use to have an iPhone I figured she'd be fine.

She hated it! She prefered her Titan 1 (even breaking apart often) over the iPhone. I can't remember her exact reasons, but I think it was mainly the lack of live icons, the tiny 3.5 inch screen, and the camera (I was surprised she likes the Titan's photos more, because I have heard so many times that the iPhone takes great photos).

So, we sold the iPhone on Ebay and bought a Titan 2 with the earnings.

She loves the Titan 2 :) The only thing we are surprised about is that it's difficult to tell if and how much the pictures are better on the TITAN 2 vs the TITAN 1. They both take really good pictures.
Same for my girl friend. Once she picked up the Lumia 800, her old Android Phone and iPod were neglected and eventually given away.

We're on the same side!

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
for the camera part, i think only the 4s was given high praises, i think the camera on the 4 was ok but not great

great story! im waiting for wp8 so i can shove my 800 into my gf's hand so she can try out windowphone and hopefully lure her into ditching her iphone 4 :p (but it's so hard to part with my 800 :()

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy as long as people stay away from Apple. Google and MS is fine but I do not like Apple at all and their way of running a business these days so I'm glad every time I hear someone puts off Apple. And on top of that their OS is just plain boring. MS should have Apple's spot. I believe that sometime in the future that will happen also but it might take many many years.

Google and Microsoft are no more innocent than Apple.

Don't be daft.

They all steal ideas from each other. They all care about money. They are companies.

It's not a religion. If you think Apple is any less ethical than Google or Microsoft than you don't know much.

MS will have "Apple's spot" if they earn it like Apple did. It's that simple. It's not about who "should" have what.

I could just as easily have said Apple should have had MS's spot in desktop OS's considering everything Microsoft made before Windows XP was embarrassingly bad and Windows XP wasn't particularly good either. But that's not how it works. Business is competition. It doesn't matter who has "the best" product or who "should have" something. It's all in how you play the game.

I don't love the way Apple is always in court either, but after years of watching Apple be an underdog while other companies, including Microsoft, constantly, relentlessly stole from them, I can understand why Apple is fighting like a ferocious dog now. You need to look at the whole history, not just the last 5 years.

I don't particularly like Google, but it's not because they sue or don't sue, it's because most of their products are half-baked crap.

At the end of the day, I'm a consumer, not an activist. I care about the product and how well I like it. That's all anyone should care about.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
By the way, if you like Windows Phone, you can thank Apple.

Microsoft was going to release a crappy re-hash of Windows Mobile that looked like an abominable mixture of Mac OS X icons and WM 6.5 before Apple came along with the iPhone. By Microsoft's OWN admission, the iPhone sent them back to the drawing board to do something better and totally different.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/190940.htm

Same goes for Google and Android. Android looked like a warmed over Blackberry OS before they saw the iPhone.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Lol, my wife wants to ditch her 4s too! It's just hard jumping ship right now, so close to WP8. I'm also not happy with the lack of ability to transfer game saves from WP to WP. If that was possible, I wouldn't mind switching to WP7 so much. Yeah I know I can't swap iOS game data to a WP8 either, but it would be a double loss, loading saves now (going to 7) and then again when 8 is here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb