Hi,
    I have two questions about facebook integration into windows phone.
    a) In some places, for eg : Marketplace, when I tap the share buttons the only options I get are messaging/email - no social networks. Is this normal?
    b) I could not find 'share' button on facebook either in people's hub or facebook app. Why is this?
    I like how neatly equipped WP is with social networking but these two minor 'kinks' have been bothering me. Any tips would be appreciated:)
    07-25-2012 01:35 PM
    Hi,
    I have two questions about facebook integration into windows phone.
    a) In some places, for eg : Marketplace, when I tap the share buttons the only options I get are messaging/email - no social networks. Is this normal?
    b) I could not find 'share' button on facebook either in people's hub or facebook app. Why is this?
    I like how neatly equipped WP is with social networking but these two minor 'kinks' have been bothering me. Any tips would be appreciated:)
    a) It's normal. The Facebook integration is very nicely done, but it's not as complete as it could be (yet)

b) See above.
    karnnan likes this.
    07-25-2012 01:46 PM
    We have the strongest Facebook integration of any other platforms, iOS is just now even starting to catch up and on android its only integrated in OEM skins but not stock.
    07-25-2012 03:57 PM
    Yeah but it lacks of essential functions, like the group feature or the event function. and somehow i'd like to receive facebook messages, but not as a chat way. I'd like it to be asynchronous, like email, so i could regularly check about messages, but without being spammed. Normally I'm not online in the facebook chat, because it seduces people not to write one long message, but writing a bunch of phrases. And if they arrive sequentially on the phone its just annoying.

I'm really pissed for being forced to use the facebook app to use these advanced features. Its one of the most annoying, slowest and most stuttering apps, that are available for windows phone. I normally used the mobile website, but it messes up connectivity regularly so I had to use the app. :(
    MrBurrrns likes this.
    07-27-2012 07:34 AM
    Yeah but it lacks of essential functions, like the group feature or the event function. and somehow i'd like to receive facebook messages, but not as a chat way. I'd like it to be asynchronous, like email, so i could regularly check about messages, but without being spammed. Normally I'm not online in the facebook chat, because it seduces people not to write one long message, but writing a bunch of phrases. And if they arrive sequentially on the phone its just annoying.

I'm really pissed for being forced to use the facebook app to use these advanced features. Its one of the most annoying, slowest and most stuttering apps, that are available for windows phone. I normally used the mobile website, but it messes up connectivity regularly so I had to use the app. :(
    It can send/receive offline Facebook messages but you do have to be connected for it to work. Events are in the calendar and have been since mango,I can read and respond to events right from the calendar. The app performs for everything I need it to do which isn't much and I have no issues with the mobile site.
    07-28-2012 12:49 AM
    It can send/receive offline Facebook messages but you do have to be connected for it to work. Events are in the calendar and have been since mango,I can read and respond to events right from the calendar. The app performs for everything I need it to do which isn't much and I have no issues with the mobile site.
    You are right about the events, but the app is crap (although that applies to all platforms) offline messages do not work again (they used to for a while) and the mobile site is broken (x.facebook.com more so than m.facebook.com but both throw connection errors all the time).
    07-28-2012 04:45 AM
    You are right about the events, but the app is crap (although that applies to all platforms) offline messages do not work again (they used to for a while) and the mobile site is broken (x.facebook.com more so than m.facebook.com but both throw connection errors all the time).
    Supposedly the iOS/Android app is worse than ours and is going to be rebuilt. The Facebook sites give me absolutely no issues.
    07-28-2012 01:11 PM
    07-28-2012 04:26 PM

You seem to have not read your own link, someone mentioned a fix for this issue a little bit down which is to set to desktop mode. I always browse using desktop mode so that's probably why I've never seen it do that.
    07-28-2012 06:06 PM
    You seem to have not read your own link, someone mentioned a fix for this issue a little bit down which is to set to desktop mode. I always browse using desktop mode so that's probably why I've never seen it do that.
    That's not a fix, using the desktop site is a pain on the phone. And we are specifically talking about the mobile site here. Which, you know, is designed to be used on PHONES as opposed to the desktop site which is designed for desktop computers.
    07-28-2012 06:59 PM
    That's not a fix, using the desktop site is a pain on the phone. And we are specifically talking about the mobile site here. Which, you know, is designed to be used on PHONES as opposed to the desktop site which is designed for desktop computers.
    The mobile site works flawlessly when set to desktop mode. Desktop sites are fine for smartphones,especially since they're capable of full html browsing and have large screens.
    07-28-2012 07:10 PM
    Supposedly the iOS/Android app is worse than ours and is going to be rebuilt. The Facebook sites give me absolutely no issues.
    Can't speak for the iOS version, but the android facebook app is a lot better than the WP version. I prefer using the integrated fb on WP though.
    07-28-2012 07:37 PM
    The mobile site works flawlessly when set to desktop mode. Desktop sites are fine for smartphones,especially since they're capable of full html browsing and have large screens.
    No it doesn't, I still get Connection Errors on the mobile site (EDIT: To be exact, it seems to fix m.facebook.com but not touch.facebook.com. But it just proves that there is a problem with IE9 mobile.). Plus, touch.facebook.com has some rendering issues that probably won't be fixed until IE10 (reminds me to test it out in the emulator...).

I agree that most sites are fine in desktop mode, but Facebook is not one of them. It just doesn't work very well and is too slow.
    Last edited by MrBurrrns; 07-28-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    07-28-2012 07:41 PM
    No it doesn't, I still get Connection Errors on the mobile site (EDIT: To be exact, it seems to fix m.facebook.com but not touch.facebook.com. But it just proves that there is a problem with IE9 mobile.). Plus, touch.facebook.com has some rendering issues that probably won't be fixed until IE10 (reminds me to test it out in the emulator...).

I agree that most sites are fine in desktop mode, but Facebook is not one of them. It just doesn't work very well and is too slow.

There is nothing wrong with IE9 the problem is that Facebook and tons of other mobile sites have webkit specific tags in their html5 code. So any browser that isn't based on webkit will have issues.
    07-28-2012 08:54 PM
    There is nothing wrong with IE9 the problem is that Facebook and tons of other mobile sites have webkit specific tags in their html5 code. So any browser that isn't based on webkit will have issues.
    It's true that the HTML5 standard is not finalized yet, but unfortunately we live in a world where HTML5 is pretty much defined by WebKit. And so, sooner or later, MS will have to comply.
    07-28-2012 10:00 PM
    It's true that the HTML5 standard is not finalized yet, but unfortunately we live in a world where HTML5 is pretty much defined by WebKit. And so, sooner or later, MS will have to comply.

Or web devs can just stop using webkit, much easier.
    07-28-2012 10:52 PM
    Hi, I am new here and I joined the forum specifically because I have this problem. I get the same connection error now when I access Facebook via IE. I have a Samsung Focus 2. Prior to that I did not have that problem with my Samsung Focus which I used for almost 2 years to access the same Facebook mobile website. It frustrates me to no end. I do a lot of Facebooking and I need this to work for me.
    07-29-2012 12:12 AM
    Or web devs can just stop using webkit, much easier.
    And use what? Trident? You must know that is nonsense. The mobile space is pretty much made of WebKit, both Android and iOS use WebKit based browsers. And even on desktop the latest numbers put Chrome ahead of IE.

Hi, I am new here and I joined the forum specifically because I have this problem. I get the same connection error now when I access Facebook via IE. I have a Samsung Focus 2. Prior to that I did not have that problem with my Samsung Focus which I used for almost 2 years to access the same Facebook mobile website. It frustrates me to no end. I do a lot of Facebooking and I need this to work for me.
    As Eric said, if you use m.facebook.com then you can set your "Website preference" in the IE settings to "Desktop version". That should fix the connection errors. If you use x.facebook.com then there is no fix for that.
    07-29-2012 05:11 AM
    And use what? Trident? You must know that is nonsense. The mobile space is pretty much made of WebKit, both Android and iOS use WebKit based browsers. And even on desktop the latest numbers put Chrome ahead of IE.

As Eric said, if you use m.facebook.com then you can set your "Website preference" in the IE settings to "Desktop version". That should fix the connection errors. If you use x.facebook.com then there is no fix for that.

No they can just use generic html5 tags or they can put in an exception for IEMobile9.0,either way its less of a hassle than MS having to redo a whole entire browser for both the PC and mobile.
    07-29-2012 01:47 PM

I tried it and it works...just like old times. Thanks a million!
    07-29-2012 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD