Tango...aka royal screw job by the "Premier Windows Phone carrier"

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Locked versions still have to be tested to make sure the Carrier's value-added software works correctly, and there are sometimes hardware differences in the phone that make them different than the International Variants. If AT&T Navigator stops working for all of AT&T's customers who use it, they will be pissed, cause they pay for it. Same for T-Mobile TV and other Carrier Branded services.

International Unlocked variants do not have to worry about this, because those phones are almost always sold off-contract and without any value-add software pre-loaded (how easy it is to uninstall is not important).

Additionally, with an Unlocked Phone your first line of defense for support is the OEM. With a Carrier Branded phone your first line of defense for support is the Carrier. They want to protect themselves. Any business would do that, irregardless of the market.

The argument holds water. You just don't want to accept it because you want what you want NOW.

AT&T has the Focus, HD7S, Surround, some LG phone I forget, Focus S, Focus 2, Titan, Titan 2, Lumia 900 to support.

T-Mobile has the HD7, Radar, and Lumia 710 (maybe another low end Nokia?).

Verizon and Sprint both have only 1 Windows Phone, IIRC.

The situation with Updates in the USA is not the same as in other parts of the world. In Europe and Asia updates tend to come very quickly to devices even of the same model than here. Carriers here are completely different than there.

I compare AT&T to their competing carriers HERE because they're in the same market. It makes more sense. Comparing them to Vodafone makes absolutely no sense nevermind AT&T has to support (through updates) way more Windows Phones than IIRC any European carrier.

They still have to support even some phones that aren't being actively sold now. It's why phones like the Focus still get updates. Look at the bigger picture.

In addition to that they have a ton of Android phones to support, they carry all the BB7 devices, and have a more varied Tablet PCs portfolio than any carrier here - and they have more subscribers on their network with smartphones than any other carrier in the US (and on a wider variety of smartphones).

AT&T will be slower than other carriers in 90% of cases simply because no one can expect them to staff a QA department the size of Google or Microsoft to get it done in record time for a few complainers and demolish their profits. They're in it to make money? Want LTE soon? Deal with it and maybe they'll be able to afford to bring it to you before next century, if it isn't there already.

Food for thought, but riddle me this. Mango update was lickety split. Whats so different now as opposed to then? I'm just not buying it, more likely that they would just rather have early adopters spring for new device and contract than have to support existing hardware.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I hope NTelos Wireless or other carriers get at least one Windows Phone because I really want to jump ship this fall and give the finger to AT&T.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
One thing is there is no longer a "Where's my update" page that shows each phone and what its status is with each carrier. I'd say that's the main thing. With no transparency the carriers all return back to their shady ways.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft broke the keyboard, not AT&T, and like I said. 8107 is a minor update for a minor OS on a major network.

It simply isn't a priority for them.

I was pissed it took forever to get to my HD7 when I had it, but it didn't stop me from facing the music and realizing exactly why it wasn't a priority for the carrier. If I was AT&T, I'd be doing the same thing because it is sound business sense. Piss off 1% of your customers (WP7 Users) or instead delay an update for another phone that comprises 20% of your customers (i.e. a GS2/SR ICS update).

If Microsoft had actually tested their own update thoroughly (and really you don't need a thorough test to see the keyboard bug, you just need to actually use a phone with the damn FW loaded on it), you wouldn't be distraught over this issue.

If AT&T had kicked it back to MS over the keyboard bug and it took until January to get your Mango update, you'd have blamed them for that as well, and had a fit over it. The carriers know they can't win with those types of personalities.

You're just going to have to deal with it.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ATT is as much a part of the testing process as Microsoft. In fact, ATT always used the "testing" line as an excuse for not releasing the update.....they should have tested the crap out of it according to them!

again your logic is failing...why should it be one or the other? people act like ATT has this finite amount of resources that they can only do one update or another. The update doesn't even come across their network!

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Food for thought, but riddle me this. Mango update was lickety split. Whats so different now as opposed to then? I'm just not buying it, more likely that they would just rather have early adopters spring for new device and contract than have to support existing hardware.

Whats different now? Well ATT has more windows phones to deal with 2 versions of the original focus (Samsung's fault) the Quantum the Surround the next generation devices the titan titan HD7s the 900 Titan II Dell Venue Pro,Focus Flash and current devices 900 Focus II. Sure they want you to buy new hardware Doesn't Apple? Does that mean ATT is bad and evil more so than any other American or Canadian or _____ carrier? I dont think so. You are entitled to your opinion and to express, and the fact that you are aggravated by the delay (which I understand) is apparent. But does that make ATT evil Nope not in my book. You angst anger and whatever else wont speed upthe process at all so why not chill out and wait for it to come out or if you cant move on! Neither you nor I have any control over the sitaution because we are not Randall Stevenson or Ralph de la Vega. Its not worth stroking out! It will be here when it get here.

MinnesotaSteve

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Locked versions still have to be tested to make sure the Carrier's value-added software works correctly, and there are sometimes hardware differences in the phone that make them different than the International Variants. If AT&T Navigator stops working for all of AT&T's customers who use it, they will be pissed, cause they pay for it. Same for T-Mobile TV and other Carrier Branded services.

So the two guys who actually pay for AT&T Navigator are holding up an update that may(or may not?) fix the WiFi hotspot data issue for the 100,00 or so of us who pay for that.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Well it doesn't matter I guess. I removed tethering off my plan since it's broken.

sdchris

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade is finally here after using the samsung focus for nearly 2 years. Needless to say, I'm not going to get a new WP.

I think there are plenty neat upcoming features, but nothing too compelling to keep me from sticking around. The disappearing keyboard is a big nuisance. I suppose I could force update, but I'd rather go to android and play that game, which is what I will do. I'll keep my focus as a backup, since it is actually a pretty good phone. But as far as sticking around for "hopes and dreams," I'll leave that one for Vegas or the birds.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that one can upgrade 6 months prior to contract being up, which of course obligates you to another two year agreement.

N8ter - again, you make some reasoned points (stressing the word some here), however there is a distinct possibility that there will never be an update for the disappearing keyboard issue for the first gen phones on AT&T. I think that's what's kinda ticking me off here. I do hope you can see my point.

sdchris

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
how could your upgrade be up on a Focus when it didn't release until Nov 2010? Are you on an 18 month upgrade cycle?
I don't know how they work the upgrades. I bought my focus early December 2010 from costco. I checked a few sites to see when I was eligible for a new upgrade, and they all said sometime in August. I checked again a week ago and they said I was eligible for an upgrade to any phone. That's about 3 months from my 2 year anniversary.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My upgrade is finally here after using the samsung focus for nearly 2 years. Needless to say, I'm not going to get a new WP.

I think there are plenty neat upcoming features, but nothing too compelling to keep me from sticking around. The disappearing keyboard is a big nuisance. I suppose I could force update, but I'd rather go to android and play that game, which is what I will do. I'll keep my focus as a backup, since it is actually a pretty good phone. But as far as sticking around for "hopes and dreams," I'll leave that one for Vegas or the birds.

I'm in the same situation but if I switch, it'll be to iOS. You're only going to find pain in Android, trust me. Good luck.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that one can upgrade 6 months prior to contract being up, which of course obligates you to another two year agreement.

I don't know how they work the upgrades. I bought my focus early December 2010 from costco. I checked a few sites to see when I was eligible for a new upgrade, and they all said sometime in August. I checked again a week ago and they said I was eligible for an upgrade to any phone. That's about 3 months from my 2 year anniversary.

Back in November 2010 I was on my 17th month and they (Costco kiosk) let me upgrade to the Focus. That was kind of weird but, hey, I was able to do it. Supposedly some carriers (maybe this includes AT&T) have been getting rid of the 18-month upgrade cycle, forcing people to wait the entire 24 months. Not sure if it's really happening out there, though.

N8ter - again, you make some reasoned points (stressing the word some here), however there is a distinct possibility that there will never be an update for the disappearing keyboard issue for the first gen phones on AT&T. I think that's what's kinda ticking me off here. I do hope you can see my point.
I don't know about N8ter but I see your point, man. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that AT&T probably decided that it's not worth the time and effort to satisfy the small market of Focus owners since in a few months a good majority of us will change phones. I can't believe that I'm on my 11th month with a software glitch (disappearing keyboard) that was fixed 7 or 8 months ago but yet I can't get the fix without a workaround.

I'll just stop giving AT&T my money this November and go to another carrier.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My last two upgrades from AT&T came after 21 months on contract. They changed the anniversary date a while back so if your update was 8/24/12, they would set it to the first of the month, or 8/1/12. That gives you 3-4 months prior to completion of your current contract.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

sdchris

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It can't be any worse than the disappearing keyboard. I'm still confused by this not being fixed for over a year. Before that, it was the really crappy marketplace prior to NoDo.

I may wait until the nexus comes out and order one of those off contract.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
AT&T still does the 18 month upgrade for "valued" customers, FYI. I think it has something to do with never being late for a payment and amount of years you've been a customer.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
AT&T still does the 18 month upgrade for "valued" customers, FYI. I think it has something to do with never being late for a payment and amount of years you've been a customer.
Well, never been late on a payment and became a customer after Cellular One (in NJ) was swallowed up, which then became Cingular, and then became AT&T again. So about 15 years, give or take a couple. Never returned or exchanged a phone either. I think you are "valued" when you have multiple or family accounts. So "valued"= more than one $90/month account.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, never been late on a payment and became a customer after Cellular One (in NJ) was swallowed up, which then became Cingular, and then became AT&T again. So about 15 years, give or take a couple. Never returned or exchanged a phone either. I think you are "valued" when you have multiple or family accounts. So "valued"= more than one $90/month account.

Ahh, yeah maybe that's it. All I know is the wife and I are on a family plan and get the option to upgrade every 18 months, have been customers since the Cingular days, and never had payment issues.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
oh never mind. I only think of the date that gets you out of a contract. I forgot ATT lets you upgrade early to keep you in a contract.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
how could it be "successfully resolved"? You didn't get 8107 and we are still not getting Tango widely. That's the biggest crock of ish I've heard. BBB marked it successful contrary to you?

My complaint was successfully resolved because I was satisfied with the outcome I received from AT&T's Office of the President, which I confirmed with the Better Business Bureau.

How would you know if I did or did not get an update for my phone? I didn't mention the resolution I received.

My complaint was resolved, successfully, with AT&T, through the Better Business Bureau. I wasn't trying to change the world by having everyone and anyone get update 8107, that would be like asking for them to allow television cameras into Area 51. I wanted my phone updated, so my keyboard stopped disappearing. That happened, I was satisfied.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My complaint was successfully resolved because I was satisfied with the outcome I received from AT&T's Office of the President, which I confirmed with the Better Business Bureau.

How would you know if I did or did not get an update for my phone? I didn't mention the resolution I received.

My complaint was resolved, successfully, with AT&T, through the Better Business Bureau. I wasn't trying to change the world by having everyone and anyone get update 8107, that would be like asking for them to allow television cameras into Area 51. I wanted my phone updated, so my keyboard stopped disappearing. That happened, I was satisfied.

ATT never released 8107!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3