Tango...aka royal screw job by the "Premier Windows Phone carrier"

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Umm, I think your signature answers your question. I believe we're talking about the i917 original focus, which you point out is WinBroken. I think You are refering to the Focus S, which I believe has had updates for it.

Just no love from AT&T for their launch devices. I almost have a stroke everytime I'm sending a text to my wife and the keyboard keeps poping down.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Gah, it's like Apple fanboys crying about siri not being on their iPhone 4 or people crying about their androind updates bricking their phones...

Wait... other phones / carriers have the same problems??? NO WAY!!!!

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, all of a sudden I'm a fan boy because why? Because I'm paying for a phone and service, and that phone is at times quite ridiculously buggy with the disappearing keyboard, and AT&T has the ability - at their whim mind you - fix it just by telling MS to go ahead and deliver the fix (don't give me that fud that they have to test it - it's been since January)? So, I'm not supposed to be angry because there are problems with other carriers? What is a consumer to do when getting mistreated - I guess I'm just supposed to pay my monthly bill and shut up... and then buy a new phone and agree to another two year commitment?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, all of a sudden I'm a fan boy because why? Because I'm paying for a phone and service, and that phone is at times quite ridiculously buggy with the disappearing keyboard, and AT&T has the ability - at their whim mind you - fix it just by telling MS to go ahead and deliver the fix (don't give me that fud that they have to test it - it's been since January)? So, I'm not supposed to be angry because there are problems with other carriers? What is a consumer to do when getting mistreated - I guess I'm just supposed to pay my monthly bill and shut up... and then buy a new phone and agree to another two year commitment?

As far as I'm concerned anyone that still has a disappearing keyboard has a right to be upset. I'm thankful Verizon sent that update when it did, I was about to buy another phone due to that issue alone. We pay good money for these phones and they should work reasonably well.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
ATT not pushing out this update is approaching negligence.
"Approaching"? When does it reach negligence, after a year maybe?

Remember that the disappearing keyboard is a bug fix. Not a missing feature or other enhancement. It is a serious problem that reminds users how little AT&T cares about their needs each time it disappears. That alone should have been good enough reason for AT&T to push out an update many months the ago.

And if AT&T had actually been testing, as some claim they do, the disappearing keyboard should have never seen the light of day. But of course, we know what AT&T testing really involves.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is like 2 updates and a few firmware upgrades behind. Yeah, I can't wait until more carriers adopt Windows Phone so I drop this "premier" carrier.

Another poster here once said the only thing AT&T "tests" for is to make sure their crappy apps still work, that you can't tether for free, and that your phone remains locked to their network.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
AT&T is like 2 updates and a few firmware upgrades behind. Yeah, I can't wait until more carriers adopt Windows Phone so I drop this "premier" carrier.

Another poster here once said the only thing AT&T "tests" for is to make sure their crappy apps still work, that you can't tether for free, and that your phone remains locked to their network.
That is exactly right. All I want is the dang keyboard to stop disappearing. The fix has been out for months. Is that too much to ask?

I can't wait until November/December to see what my WP options are so I can tell AT&T to pack sand.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I gave up standing on principle and waiting for AT&T, which as it turns out was just standing on my own neck and was never going to get the update. So, I debranded my Focus using the method noted here http://forums.windowscentral.com/focus-s-4g/186719.htm

The original intent of the author was to debrand his Focus S, but this seems to work for all samsung devices. At the very least it works for the original launch Focus. I didn't have to use the cabsender and find all the appropriate laungauge packs, I just had to click on a provisioning document, then use the built in diagnostics app already on my Focus to execute the provisioning. In the end it only has a short list of changes that it makes to the registry, one of which is to change the Mobile Operator from ATT-US to 000-88. It does unlock the device as well, which I could care less about but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Really, it was super simple and stress free. Once I loaded the provisioning file and restarted my phone and connected it to Zune it immediately notified me that an update was available. Went from 7720, to 7740, to 8107 (yey - keyboard fix in the notes), to 8112 (yay - can now attach video's in mms messages, also has mms delivery notification), then to 8773.98 (tango).

I also can confirm that I've had no problem with my Focus (v1.3) since using this method to force the update.

I'm still going to monitor this thread to see what other thoughts people have about AT&T refusing to provide what turns out to be easily applied fixes.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
you can't debrand and get the update when the update isn't on Microsoft's servers! I have a debranded Quantum and there is nothing for Zune to grab!

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
You are right, if the updates don't exist then there would be nothing to pull down. However, there are updates for the original Focus, in fact Rogers in Canada is already delivering them to their focus's (foci, not sure about plural here). For the method described in my last post, you're debranding it - changing it from ATT-US to 000-88 in the registry, effectively releasing you from waiting for AT&T's ok to deliver your update. Your phone still uses the AT&T network because of the SIM you have in your phone. It also still shows AT&T as the carrier in the settings about screen. Your MMS still goes through AT&T. The registry chagnegs does not affect your relationship with AT&T, they are still your carrier and will provide the voice and data access. What changed was a registry setting that the phone and zune software use to dtermine if they can deliver an update.

I can attach a photo if you are unconvinced that it worked. I did not sideload any registry editors nor did I use the CAB Sender to send the updates to the phone.

Also, I'm in no way telling you that you should do this, it's a decision you'd have to make on your own. But it is very very simple... it works, and I'm out from under the heels of AT&T with respect to the update issue.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and to add to the discussion, my wife has an LG Quantum. It's even simpler to change the registry setting on her phone because the phone already has the registry tool within their built in diagnotics package. I changed it to 000-88 and plugged it into her PC, which launched Zune, then all the updates from 7740 to 8773 pulled down, just like my Focus did.

I know this doesn't resolve the AT&T problem, meaning they'll still just do whatever they want and deliver (or not deliver) updates. It just frees me of dealing with the keyboard issue. More importantly it gets my wife off my back regarding the disappearing keyboard - it was really ticking her off because she uses text/mms so much. Making the wife happy is a tremendous motivator :)

Here's the link if you're interested: LG "debranding" hack; NoDo to follow? | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Umm, I think your signature answers your question. I believe we're talking about the i917 original focus, which you point out is WinBroken. I think You are refering to the Focus S, which I believe has had updates for it.

Just no love from AT&T for their launch devices. I almost have a stroke everytime I'm sending a text to my wife and the keyboard keeps poping down.

Buddy at work has a stock Focus S and it updated to 8773.

Scott
This.

The assertion was that "ATT never released 8107" when in fact, people got it (and 7740) as a requisite for 8773 without any trickery.
ATT not pushing out this update is approaching negligence.
Prove their negligence, in court...triple dog dare. (Has this thread already had empty threats of a class action suit? Hard to believe it's gotten to 5 pages without it...)

Meanwhile, updating my 900 to Tango as I type :p

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Didn't Nokia just get Tango on their servers two days ago?

It's not like ATT just had Tango sitting around on their end and they wen't "meh... we will deal with that later"

As people have already said their Samsung devices got the update a while ago. Why on earth would a company who "only tests their crappy app" not release an update if they were in full control?

Fact is, they are not in full control. Each carrier and phone brand have to approve the updates and make sure it works on their devices.

It's a catch 22 because if a company takes too long while testing the update people get mad. But if they don't test it and just relase it ASAP becuase people want it and then people find bugs in it they get mad.

Blaming JUST the carrier is silly in my opinion. There is A LOT more to it.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and to add to the discussion, my wife has an LG Quantum. It's even simpler to change the registry setting on her phone because the phone already has the registry tool within their built in diagnotics package. I changed it to 000-88 and plugged it into her PC, which launched Zune, then all the updates from 7740 to 8773 pulled down, just like my Focus did.

I know this doesn't resolve the AT&T problem, meaning they'll still just do whatever they want and deliver (or not deliver) updates. It just frees me of dealing with the keyboard issue. More importantly it gets my wife off my back regarding the disappearing keyboard - it was really ticking her off because she uses text/mms so much. Making the wife happy is a tremendous motivator :)

Here's the link if you're interested: LG "debranding" hack; NoDo to follow? | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

i debranded my Quantum, nothing pulls from Zune.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This.

The assertion was that "ATT never released 8107" when in fact, people got it (and 7740) as a requisite for 8773 without any trickery.

Prove their negligence, in court...triple dog dare. (Has this thread already had empty threats of a class action suit? Hard to believe it's gotten to 5 pages without it...)

Meanwhile, updating my 900 to Tango as I type :p

SOME people got it, not all. and that makes ATT's update process even worse, because it pits the haves against the have nots. I just love the 'I got my tango so FU' attitude around here. I got Tango on my 900 too, but I'm not about to let the pressure off ATT until ALL devices get it.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
i debranded my Quantum, nothing pulls from Zune.

Inteller, I don't know why my wife's Quantum would pull the update yet yours wouldn't. I promise I did nothing more than edit the carrier in the registry to make this happen.

Oh - and the only thing I notice that doesn't work after forcing to 8773 on my Focus is video mms. It doesn't seem want to attach any video files, always saying it the video file is too large.

Inteller, I'm with you on this one... AT&T is failing their "Permier Carrier" status here.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Inteller, I don't know why my wife's Quantum would pull the update yet yours wouldn't. I promise I did nothing more than edit the carrier in the registry to make this happen.

Oh - and the only thing I notice that doesn't work after forcing to 8773 on my Focus is video mms. It doesn't seem want to attach any video files, always saying it the video file is too large.

Inteller, I'm with you on this one... AT&T is failing their "Permier Carrier" status here.

the only thing probably different is I don't have a SIM in this phone, but I didn't in my 900 either and it pulled just fine. Of course it never got an update notification over the air.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3