Tango...aka royal screw job by the "Premier Windows Phone carrier"

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
As my poor Surround sits on my desk Tangoless, probably for the rest of its short life. Yes, I forced 8107 as I couldn't wait for AT&T any longer. They should be ashamed, and yes it is criminal.

Here's why. If you bought the phone outright from Staples or Joe's Electronics, and it had a flaw like a disappearing keyboard, you could return it fo a brand new phone or get your money back. Same as if you bought a DVD player or Surround Sound system. AT&T subsidizes the cost of the phone, but you are still paying for it every month. If they want to credit me for all the subsidy charges after last March, when 8107 should have been released, they can keep their stinking update.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

sdchris

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought an HTC One X and don't have any regrets about leaving. My focus served me well for ~20 months, but it was time to give it a rest and say goodbye to the disappearing keyboard.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I filled a BBB complaint....I'm sure since the are in cahoots with BBB Atlanta ATT will just get it "resolved" without doing anything but I couldn't take it any longer with this BS.

mikeeemm

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I emailed at&t about my Samsung focus keyboard disappearing and they responded by saying that they are sorry about it and need to be on the phone talking to me about solving the issue.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I emailed at&t about my Samsung focus keyboard disappearing and they responded by saying that they are sorry about it and need to be on the phone talking to me about solving the issue.

I wish you the best of luck with calling them. I did the same thing. I spent about 90 minutes on the phone, being passed from one person to the other. The call wound up in warrenty services and the only thing they all consistently offered was for me to purchase a new phone and renew my contract.

I really aggravates me to know that the only thing I can expect in service from AT&T is to get advice that benifits them.

I asked Daniel Rubino on the podcast yesterday about their opinion of AT&T ever releasing TANGO (which includes 8107) for the original Focus. His opinion was that they probably wouldn't because it's been at end of life for quite some time. His advice was to get 8107 (or tango) on it yourself if you want it. I have to agree with Daniel at this point, even though in principle the disappearing keyboard issue was present before the Focus ever went "end of life".

I totally respect your principled stance, but I fear it's like spitting in the wind.

Arcticwolf

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't see how ATT is any worse than Sprint, at least they get some nice phones. Considering that I was thinking of dumping Sprint for ATT now I have doubts. I guess I should really consider getting an unlocked Lumia and going to straightalk. seems to be the only way to get updates in a timely fashion.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing you have no issues with Straight Talk? Your Titan is an international model? Unlocked? Using ATT network? I only heard about ST a week ago. Trying to figure it all out. Any help would be great. Thanks.

No my Titan is from ATT, you cant get int Titans in the US. It is not unlocked. Go to straighttalksim.com and read. MMS will not work on the Titan with bing services. you can have either or.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I'm not reading through a half-billion posts to see if it has been mentioned, but all I can say is this...

Carriers and OEMs alike are responsible for updates. Microsoft releases OS fixes... it's up to the other partners to issue them. EXCEPT... if you're that obsessed about them, there's always the manual method. Stop complaining and start installing!

Also, this is PRECISELY why Microsoft is taking OS updates out of their hands beginning with WP7.8 and WP8. All users will have the ability to get updates for at least 18 months after the device release. After that, well, it's anybody's guess, but I bet they're assuming we'll upgrade from that point.

Also, look at your OEM... if they are one of the ones not releasing updates and not fixing problems, vote with your wallet and switch OEMs. That's why I'm leaving HTC after 5 years and moving to Nokia (likely) or Samsung (second).

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Tango, Shmango.

I'm pretty much resigned that my HTC Surround on AT&T will run on os 7.1.7720 until it croaks. All is not doom and gloom however, I don't have much issue with disappearing keyboard, it seldom occurs. It is developer unlocked ( still with Chevron token even though I did submitt to MS ), interop unlocked and rooted with WP7 Root tools (thank you Heathcliff74). It has on screen xap deployer by Ultrashot. I may never sync with pc and Zune ever again, Tango does not have much to offer and I can wait for the new start screen until I get a WP8.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, I'm not reading through a half-billion posts to see if it has been mentioned, but all I can say is this...

Carriers and OEMs alike are responsible for updates. Microsoft releases OS fixes... it's up to the other partners to issue them. EXCEPT... if you're that obsessed about them, there's always the manual method. Stop complaining and start installing!

Also, this is PRECISELY why Microsoft is taking OS updates out of their hands beginning with WP7.8 and WP8. All users will have the ability to get updates for at least 18 months after the device release. After that, well, it's anybody's guess, but I bet they're assuming we'll upgrade from that point.

Also, look at your OEM... if they are one of the ones not releasing updates and not fixing problems, vote with your wallet and switch OEMs. That's why I'm leaving HTC after 5 years and moving to Nokia (likely) or Samsung (second).

no bucko, the manual method doesn't work if your phone's ROM isn't sitting on the server and you can't debrand.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ok I'm dredging this thread back up because I just had an infuriating phone call with ATT over my business complaint. They are a complete and useless failure of a company!!!!!!! They basically admitted that they don't know **** FROM WITHIN their own company until the public knows it!?!?! WHAT THA F ?!?!?! All I could get out of them was a fu ing empty 'I'm sorry we don't have an update for it' THEN they tried to LIE and say they don't even have the update! BULL****, HTC confirmed on two separate support calls that the update has been sent to ATT for testing. After telling them that they backtracked and said they "have to test it for backdoors and security violations on their network" seriously...SERIOUSLY? I can bring unlocked GSM phones and stick them on your network and use them all day long that never see the light of day of ATT's "testing"

Man, bull**** like this makes me want to God Bless America :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

mikeeemm

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish you the best of luck with calling them. I did the same thing. I spent about 90 minutes on the phone, being passed from one person to the other. The call wound up in warrenty services and the only thing they all consistently offered was for me to purchase a new phone and renew my contract.

I really aggravates me to know that the only thing I can expect in service from AT&T is to get advice that benifits them.

I asked Daniel Rubino on the podcast yesterday about their opinion of AT&T ever releasing TANGO (which includes 8107) for the original Focus. His opinion was that they probably wouldn't because it's been at end of life for quite some time. His advice was to get 8107 (or tango) on it yourself if you want it. I have to agree with Daniel at this point, even though in principle the disappearing keyboard issue was present before the Focus ever went "end of life".

I totally respect your principled stance, but I fear it's like spitting in the wind.
I emailed at&t again asking about the update that us listed on their website and the issues with my keyboard disappearing, this was their reply

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T to question when the
software update for your device will be available. My name is Audi Byrd
and I am happy to assist you. After reading your e-mail and reviewing your account, I have confirmed
that you will be notified once the new software update is available.
Unfortunately, I am unable to confirm when that will be. Please contact
AT&T Technical Support at 1-800-331-0500 for more information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077