05-07-2013 07:32 AM
179 1234 ...
tools
    Ill probably do this tonight and risk screwing everything up, wish me luck!
    07-31-2012 01:41 PM
    Lol okay, just post the question exactly as you want it worded and I'll submit it. Though they may not get around to answering it any time soon given the volume of questions currently posed.
    "Will it be necessary to associate my Xbox Live gamertag with the new @outlook.com address to ensure Xbox Live functionality on Windows Phone?"
    Lol, yep that was me. About to post it here, but you beat me to it! Still though...kinda want someone else to do it first and report back =P
    Can you ask about skydrive? or somebody ask if they switch to outlook, the 25gb skydrive remains?
    Can you ask about skydrive? or somebody ask if they switch to outlook, the 25gb skydrive remains?
    I'd be interested as well. I would HOPE that doing a rename would grandfather your Skydrive account in whereas creating a new @outlook.com address witll only give you the 7GB.
    07-31-2012 01:44 PM
    I'd be interested as well. I would HOPE that doing a rename would grandfather your Skydrive account in whereas creating a new @outlook.com address witll only give you the 7GB.
    People on verge said it remains intact, but can we trust the verge?
    07-31-2012 01:45 PM
    "Will it be necessary to associate my Xbox Live gamertag with the new @outlook.com address to ensure Xbox Live functionality on Windows Phone?"
    Posted:)
    07-31-2012 01:45 PM
    People on verge said it remains intact, but can we trust the verge?
    Logically it just makes sense. By doing a rename from within the web interface, MS knows you are still using that account, just giving it a different email address. Therefore - everything associated with that account should carry over.

Creating a new account is exactly that - a new account with nothing associated already and therefore only gets the 7GB.

That's what would make sense to me anyhow.
    07-31-2012 01:49 PM
    So...has anyone actually tried it yet? I would but since Windows 8 is the only OS on my PC at the moment I don't want to have to deal with it right now...
    07-31-2012 01:53 PM
    So...has anyone actually tried it yet? I would but since Windows 8 is the only OS on my PC at the moment I don't want to have to deal with it right now...
    Is great. If that's how Windows 8 is going to look like. I just can't wait for it to come.
    07-31-2012 02:33 PM
    Anybody know what happens to your xbox live account after changing the email? My xbox live account is tied to my hotmail, if it changes, how do i access my live account then?
    07-31-2012 02:48 PM
    Anybody know what happens to your xbox live account after changing the email? My xbox live account is tied to my hotmail, if it changes, how do i access my live account then?
    You need to go to account seetings actually on your xbox console and chage your live ID over to the new email address - this is what takes all your purchases, points, app history etc. to the new email addy.
    07-31-2012 03:07 PM
    I updated my account from hotmail to outlook and my Windows 8 account actually switched automatically. I didn't have to disconnect/reconnect or anything. I don't have a WP at the moment (nor XBOX) so I can't speak for that unfortunately.
    07-31-2012 03:15 PM
    I updated my account from hotmail to outlook and my Windows 8 account actually switched automatically. I didn't have to disconnect/reconnect or anything. I don't have a WP at the moment (nor XBOX) so I can't speak for that unfortunately.
    When you say switched automatically, do you now see yourself logged in with your new outlook email or what indicates it has switched? Thanks.
    07-31-2012 03:30 PM
    When you say switched automatically, do you now see yourself logged in with your new outlook email or what indicates it has switched? Thanks.
    After changing the address online, I logged out of my Windows 8 account and logged back in and the email address displayed in the upper right in Metro view is my new @outlook.com account. I didn't have to disconnect my old account and add a new one.
    07-31-2012 03:39 PM
    After changing the address online, I logged out of my Windows 8 account and logged back in and the email address displayed in the upper right in Metro view is my new @outlook.com account. I didn't have to disconnect my old account and add a new one.
    Ok, thought you meant you didnt have to log out. Only thing keeping all WP users is probably the lack of backup, otherwise I personally would switch.
    07-31-2012 03:43 PM
    Ok, thought you meant you didnt have to log out. Only thing keeping all WP users is probably the lack of backup, otherwise I personally would switch.
    Yeah I imagine so... I sold my Lumia 710 when I found out it wouldn't get Windows Phone 8 so when I get my new WP8 phone later this year, I'll just sign in using my new Outlook ID :)
    Winterfang likes this.
    07-31-2012 03:47 PM
    Ill probably do this tonight and risk screwing everything up, wish me luck!
    Let us know the answer then....Good Luck :)
    07-31-2012 03:52 PM
    Yeah I imagine so... I sold my Lumia 710 when I found out it wouldn't get Windows Phone 8 so when I get my new WP8 phone later this year, I'll just sign in using my new Outlook ID :)
    Can you check your Skydrive, whats your storage? Did you have the 25GB before and do you still have it or not?
    07-31-2012 04:02 PM
    Can you check your Skydrive, whats your storage? Did you have the 25GB before and do you still have it or not?
    Yeah I did and yes I do:)
    theefman likes this.
    07-31-2012 04:04 PM
    Yeah I did and yes I do:)
    Thanks for checking, made sense that you kept it but you never know with MS....
    07-31-2012 04:13 PM
    just changed my email id to @outlook.com . Still have the 25 gb of skydrive.
    Will reset my phone today.
    07-31-2012 04:15 PM
    I must be dumb today, whenever I try to use a different email address as my Microsoft account, I can create a new one, with live or hotmail as the options, or use a different address, but when I type in my outlook alias, i get this message:

You can't use @outlook.com in your Microsoft account email address. Please try a different email address.
    07-31-2012 04:20 PM
    I must be dumb today, whenever I try to use a different email address as my Microsoft account, I can create a new one, with live or hotmail as the options, or use a different address, but when I type in my outlook alias, i get this message:

You can't use @outlook.com in your Microsoft account email address. Please try a different email address.
    My guess is you haven't yet activated the Outlook.com preview on your account. Try logging out of everything, then go to outlook.com. Sign in using your current Live ID and then go to the gear icon in the upper right and select mail settings. You should find the same option to use another address as your ID, but now outlook.com should be one of the options.

(I think while logged into Hotmail, there's also an option under settings to just preview Outlook, but I can't confirm that.)
    07-31-2012 04:29 PM
    Let us know the answer then....Good Luck :)
    I just did it, everything remains intact. My 25gb skydrive, purchased apps, xbox live account. Im set.

So now my primary email is the outlook email and converted my hotmail to just an alias...

So looks good on my end.
    07-31-2012 04:29 PM
    My guess is you haven't yet activated the Outlook.com preview on your account. Try logging out of everything, then go to outlook.com. Sign in using your current Live ID and then go to the gear icon in the upper right and select mail settings. You should find the same option to use another address as your ID, but now outlook.com should be one of the options.

(I think while logged into Hotmail, there's also an option under settings to just preview Outlook, but I can't confirm that.)
    Still the same. I can create an alias with no problem, but when I try to rename my email address, it's the same issue.
    07-31-2012 04:40 PM
179 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD