The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-07-2013 07:32 AM
179 12345 ...
tools
    I just did it, everything remains intact. My 25gb skydrive, purchased apps, xbox live account. Im set.

So now my primary email is the outlook email and converted my hotmail to just an alias...

So looks good on my end.
    Messenger working ok?
    07-31-2012 05:09 PM
    I'm going to take the plunged also. What are the necessary steps?
    07-31-2012 05:25 PM
    I'm going to take the plunged also. What are the necessary steps?
    Once you're in Outlook view, just go to your mail settings and select "rename your email address."
    07-31-2012 05:28 PM
    Bummer. I jumped in to get my name and created a new account. Now I can't change it to an alias, which I would have prefered.
    07-31-2012 05:30 PM
    Bummer. I jumped in to get my name and created a new account. Now I can't change it to an alias, which I would have prefered.
    I see your hasty mistake and raise you TWO hasty mistakes! I created two new accounts with both names I wanted in the mayhem of the early hours and had to figure out a third for my real account -_-

...I wonder if I delete the accounts...how long until I can use them as an alias or to replace my current one? Anyone know?
    07-31-2012 05:32 PM
    Messenger working ok?
    I dont use MSN messenger. I haven't used it in like 10 + years, not sure what the messaging system uses now, but my messaging through outlook links to my facebook chat, that seems to be working fine.
    07-31-2012 05:35 PM
    I see your hasty mistake and raise you TWO hasty mistakes! I created two new accounts with both names I wanted in the mayhem of the early hours and had to figure out a third for my real account -_-

...I wonder if I delete the accounts...how long until I can use them as an alias or to replace my current one? Anyone know?
    270 days. I registered two emails, i closed one today and in the end, says it will go back into circulation in 270 days, if you login anywhere within the 270 days, it will reactive.

Thats what it says, not sure if it will go through the ful 270 though.
    07-31-2012 05:36 PM
    I just did it, everything remains intact. My 25gb skydrive, purchased apps, xbox live account. Im set.

So now my primary email is the outlook email and converted my hotmail to just an alias...

So looks good on my end.
    Have you tried using the new outlook account to log into a social network or any associated service that was linked to the old hotmail?
    07-31-2012 05:38 PM

Yeah, I actually created 3 and picked one from there. After I read about the alias option I tried to change the one I liked to an alias but no go....so I created another one for that. Maybe when it gets out of preview there will be other options or a way to contact MS for a fix.

I actually would like a new email account and move everything to it. I have been using yahoo for my primary live ID and email.
    07-31-2012 05:46 PM
    I tooked the plunged. Currently passing files to my Phone again.

I'll have to say, there's something weird about using @outlook. Feels fancy.

Also my messenger won't work on the site, nor MSN or Facebook chat.

Edit: Messenger works now, now that I set up my account on the phone.
    Last edited by Winterfang; 07-31-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    07-31-2012 05:54 PM
    I got my outlook e-mail as well, then found out about the issues it causes.

I know that with the hard reset I will lose my games saves. Is there any way to back-up these and import them to the phone?
    07-31-2012 05:56 PM
    So, let's say I created a new outlook account and I want that to be my primary windows account. Is there a way that I can make that my primary account and keep my 25gb storage?

I can't rename my current account to the one I want because it says it is not available...since I already created it as new.
    07-31-2012 05:56 PM
    Have you tried using the new outlook account to log into a social network or any associated service that was linked to the old hotmail?
    Not sure what you mean by login, i dont see a way to directly login, but all my contacts that are facebook, twitter contacts has all their information when i search to email, i can post on their facebook wall or a message to them directly through outlook without going on facebook.

I am waiting to see what information i can see in my inbox when i receive an email back from one of my facebook contracts.
    07-31-2012 06:08 PM
    So, let's say I created a new outlook account and I want that to be my primary windows account. Is there a way that I can make that my primary account and keep my 25gb storage?

I can't rename my current account to the one I want because it says it is not available...since I already created it as new.
    As far as I can tell, the only way to do it is to delete the one you created, wait 270 days (I also read 90 days somewhere) and then you can use it again as an alias or to replace your main Live ID. I said screw that and just made a different Outlook.com address.
    07-31-2012 06:09 PM
    You should have your 25GB storage automatically.

The games data disappear completely after a hard reset. I learned that the hard way before.

If you created a brand new outlook email address, that answer is NO. To keep the 25gb, you need to change your hotmail address to an outlook address.
    If you created a brand new outlook email address, that answer is NO. To keep the 25gb, you need to change your hotmail address to an outlook address.
    That sucks. I like the new one I created and would like to male or my primary email account and windows account, but I don't want to give up my storage. Wonder if an email to MS would help.
    07-31-2012 06:22 PM
    That sucks. I like the new one I created and would like to male or my primary email account and windows account, but I don't want to give up my storage. Wonder if an email to MS would help.
    Not saying there will be a solution later on, but for now, there is not. YOu can close out the new address now and wait 270 days for it to be available :o
    07-31-2012 06:25 PM
    Not saying there will be a solution later on, but for now, there is not. YOu can close out the new address now and wait 270 days for it to be available :o
    Thought about that, but I am sure I would lose it.
    07-31-2012 06:28 PM
    Well, took the plunge. As some say, Messenger is giving me trouble, as all my contacts are shown as Offline, and I don't think they're getting the offline messages I'm sending them. Someone said it gets fixed after setting up the Windows Phone, which I'm in the process of doing.
    07-31-2012 06:46 PM
    Not sure what you mean by login, i dont see a way to directly login, but all my contacts that are facebook, twitter contacts has all their information when i search to email, i can post on their facebook wall or a message to them directly through outlook without going on facebook.

I am waiting to see what information i can see in my inbox when i receive an email back from one of my facebook contracts.
    I mean like log into your faceebook account or audible account etc which was associated with the old hotmail accouunt with the new outlook account?
    07-31-2012 06:53 PM
    I mean like log into your faceebook account or audible account etc which was associated with the old hotmail accouunt with the new outlook account?
    Oh, i havent tried, i would assume those would not change since those are third party. You will probably have to keep logging on with your current account, that is just my assumption.

My hotmail account was not my login for anything except xbox live.
    07-31-2012 06:59 PM
    I'd imagine if your Facebook login was your Hotmail address you'd still have to use that to log in. It's not like changing it to the @outlook.com one then magically goes out via the Internet and updates all your logins for you.

I would think you login using whatever credentials you originally supplied. Once logged in you can update your email address to the new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    07-31-2012 07:06 PM
    Nope. I have reset my phone and am having two problems:

1. Messenger contacts all appear offline. It's as if they haven't accepted the connection on their account's end.
    2. Can't get mail from Outlook.com.
      EDIT: I just had to check "Email" under the account options to start syncing mail. It even shows under the Hotmail logo, like a default Microsoft account.

Do any of you have this issues?
    Last edited by CronGM; 07-31-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    07-31-2012 07:24 PM
    The absolute worst part is having to merge the different accounts of people. That **** takes forever.
    07-31-2012 08:22 PM
179 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD