The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-07-2013 07:32 AM
179 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Nope. I have reset my phone and am having two problems:

1. Messenger contacts all appear offline. It's as if they haven't accepted the connection on their account's end.
    2. Can't get mail from Outlook.com.
      EDIT: I just had to check "Email" under the account options to start syncing mail. It even shows under the Hotmail logo, like a default Microsoft account.

Do any of you have this issues?
    To be clear, you're talking about your phone right? (I ask because I'm only able to confirm that both are working fine in my browser on my Win8 PC since I'm sans WP at the moment.)
    07-31-2012 08:27 PM
    All done. I have my phone exactly as I had it before, except for new sexy account.
    07-31-2012 09:00 PM
    Just thought of something, since we can't manage our phones in Zune and the new outlook removes the old devices menu where are we supposed to manage our windows phones now? At the moment we can still switch back to the old Hotmail interface but at some point we won't be able to, so what then?
    07-31-2012 09:45 PM
    What do you mean? I logged in to my zune account using the new outlook account, the same happened to my WLM.

Edit: Just created an Alias that has my Name.Lastname@outlook.com Looks professional as ****.

Edit 2: Is there a limit to how many alias you can get? I want to nabbed some before is too late. That way I can have an email to any occasion, so hyped.
    Last edited by Winterfang; 07-31-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    07-31-2012 10:12 PM
    I set up my alias and chose to have emails to my alias go to a new folder. Any way to change it to have emails to my alias go to my Hotmail inbox instead?

tap tap tap
    07-31-2012 10:24 PM
    They will go on your hotmail inbox on your phone. I'm liking it having it separate, I feel like a big shot.
    07-31-2012 10:38 PM
    ok there is alot of info out there and its a little confusing. I have a @live acct. Tied in of course to my WP, XBox and Skydrive. I made a @outlook acct but havent done anything else. Whats the best way of tying all this together.
    07-31-2012 10:54 PM
    Just rename your Live account to an outlook account. It will give you the access to start with a new name and it will hold all your contacts and account info.

Is really easy, the downside is having to reset your windows phone if you used that particular account to activate it.

Now my outlook account controls msn, mail, skydrive, xbox, zune etc... it even has the same password.
    downhillrider likes this.
    07-31-2012 11:06 PM
    They will go on your hotmail inbox on your phone. I'm liking it having it separate, I feel like a big shot.
    They are going to the separate folder, so I don't get a notification on my L900. That's why I want to change it to have the emails go to my Hotmail inbox.

tap tap tap
    07-31-2012 11:10 PM
    Aaaah, I got confused. I'll check for an answer.

Edit: Didn't see anything, I guess you will need to cancel the alias and make it again.
    07-31-2012 11:13 PM
    ok there is alot of info out there and its a little confusing. I have a @live acct. Tied in of course to my WP, XBox and Skydrive. I made a @outlook acct but havent done anything else. Whats the best way of tying all this together.
    You made the same mistake I did...you can't do this. You need to log into your live account email, go to settings, choose to try out the Outlook preview, then go back to settings, and find the option that lets you "rename your email address." At that point, you make up whatever @outlook you want and proceed. However, since you've already created the one you really want, you cannot choose it to replace your @live since it will be seen as unavailable:(
    07-31-2012 11:14 PM
    Even worse that new outlook account won't enjoy the 25GB skydrive storage. I'll forget that account exist.
    07-31-2012 11:23 PM
    Aaaah, I got confused. I'll check for an answer.

Edit: Didn't see anything, I guess you will need to cancel the alias and make it again.
    Cool, I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. :)

tap tap tap
    07-31-2012 11:25 PM
    You made the same mistake I did...you can't do this. You need to log into your live account email, go to settings, choose to try out the Outlook preview, then go back to settings, and find the option that lets you "rename your email address." At that point, you make up whatever @outlook you want and proceed. However, since you've already created the one you really want, you cannot choose it to replace your @live since it will be seen as unavailable:(
    You can for now create an alias outlook account and when you get a windows 8 phone you can convert the msn.com or hotmail or live over when you activate the new device.
    07-31-2012 11:26 PM
    Or he could change his account now and join us future people.

mtmjr90 likes this.
    07-31-2012 11:33 PM
    Just rename your Live account to an outlook account. It will give you the access to start with a new name and it will hold all your contacts and account info.

Is really easy, the downside is having to reset your windows phone if you used that particular account to activate it.

Now my outlook account controls msn, mail, skydrive, xbox, zune etc... it even has the same password.
    so in the Live options> Update email address? I should put in my new outlook email address?
    07-31-2012 11:36 PM
    Press the gear on the top right corner>More Mail Settings>Rename your mail address.
    07-31-2012 11:43 PM
    so in the Live options> Update email address? I should put in my new outlook email address?
    Yes, but it can't be the one you've already created. It must be a new, untaken address.
    07-31-2012 11:47 PM
    Exactly, unless you cancel the new account and make a new one. But You will have to wait a couple of days if I'm not mistaken for the name to be free again.
    07-31-2012 11:56 PM
    @mtmjr90 @winterfang thanks for the info. With your help I was able to successfully get it done. I'll just have to forget the original outlook account I made and just used my real name, which was available. Reset my phone and logged in, skydrive was ok as was the CC info in the Marketplace. Thanks again.

All I need now is the update from ATT *sigh*
    08-01-2012 12:07 AM
    Sweet, also be sure to joink some cool Alias also. Is very rare to get an email that you can actually say out loud. I got my alias specially for that.

Edit: Curses that gave me the idea to just have my first name but it was already taken lol.
    08-01-2012 12:17 AM
    Every time I enter either my new alias, or a different one, in the "rename my mailbox" settings it tells me I can't use an @outlook.com in my Microsoft account email address.

Last edited by jmerrey; 08-01-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    08-01-2012 01:30 AM
    To be clear, you're talking about your phone right? (I ask because I'm only able to confirm that both are working fine in my browser on my Win8 PC since I'm sans WP at the moment.)
    The Messenger problem was through my entire account. I later logged in from Windows Live Messenger on a PC and contacts started to pop up one by one. Almost all of them now show up properly online on my account when they are, well, online.
    08-01-2012 02:10 AM
    Call me superficial, but Hotmail addresses are somewhat stigmatized nowadays...that and I can't help but update everything I own all the time. It's a hard life we lead us early adopters...
    I bought my own domain about a decade, doesn't matter what the underlying freemail is - it's currently run via gmail but it could be switched to outlook/hotmail if needed - much easier and avoids that freemail stigma.
    08-01-2012 04:51 AM
    Every time I enter either my new alias, or a different one, in the "rename my mailbox" settings it tells me I can't use an @outlook.com in my Microsoft account email address.

Click to view quoted image
    Unless I am missing something obvious - are you trying to register

Yourname@outlook.com@outlook.com ?
    08-01-2012 04:59 AM
179 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD