05-07-2013 07:32 AM
179 ... 5678
tools
    I can't seem to find an answer for my issues. if it was posted sorry. :)

My live.com/ID is my gmail address. When I go to create a new email address for my MS account, it doesn't give me the outlook.com option (live & hotmail only). How do I go about get it changed outlook.com?
    This sounds like the exact problem I was having. You first have to change to a live.com or hotmail.com email address, then change it to an outlook.com address. I guess there is a bug when changing from gmail, yahoo, and others. This is not my solution, it was posted by someone else, I can't take credit for it :)

Please read this thread though, I don't want to be leading you astray! I did this, but I had to reset my phone to get my apps and such to keep working.
    budney likes this.
    08-02-2012 05:10 PM
    This sounds like the exact problem I was having. You first have to change to a live.com or hotmail.com email address, then change it to an outlook.com address. I guess there is a bug when changing from gmail, yahoo, and others. This is not my solution, it was posted by someone else, I can't take credit for it :)

Please read this thread though, I don't want to be leading you astray! I did this, but I had to reset my phone to get my apps and such to keep working.
    Ah ok, makes sense. I am well aware of having to reset my phone. Lucky for me I don't have a lot of apps on it yet. Thanks! :)
    08-02-2012 05:17 PM

This is what I also needed to do since my account ID was my ISP email address. I reset my phone to get my apps but I don't see where they are available for me to download. Do I need to search for each one individually? When I brought one of the apps I had paid for, it showed the option to buy it. What am I doing wrong?
    08-02-2012 11:44 PM
    This is what I also needed to do since my account ID was my ISP email address. I reset my phone to get my apps but I don't see where they are available for me to download. Do I need to search for each one individually? When I brought one of the apps I had paid for, it showed the option to buy it. What am I doing wrong?
    Just go to the marketplace on your computer and send the apps you bought or want to your phone. :)
    svgtom likes this.
    08-03-2012 12:04 AM
    For some reason the WP marketplace shows the option to buy already purchased apps. But if you go ahead and click it doesn't charge you again or anything...kinda confusing.
    svgtom likes this.
    08-03-2012 12:36 AM
    I don't want to loose my SkyDrive, though I want to switch over. Now I have two accounts and MS' linking tool/site doesn't work. I can't turn off contacts for my old account on my WP7, otherwise that would work as a trick.

I'm stuck! I will just use it for email.

In the article Daniel alluded to a fix. W8 app? Out of beta? Better People site? Better linking?
    08-03-2012 02:13 AM

This is the same as me with my gmail account. I understand that when you switch from hotmail or live to outlook you keep your 25gb skydrive. Did you keep your 25gb skydrive when you went from gmail > hotmail > outlook?
    08-03-2012 02:56 AM
    Re the XDA hack - actually the email will work fine - you have to just make sure you go to Accounts and ensure the password is correct. It syncs everything without problem. The only thing I've noticed is that when you send email - it still shows as coming from your old Hotmail address.

Haven't checked Skydrive but you could be right there as well.

All in all, I've reset my phone so many times in the last few weeks what's another one? I'm determined to get this phone just the way I want it BEFORE I start playing all my games again! ;)
    Ok thanks for the correction, so emails work fine, but I know I've read somewhere that skydrive backup and xbox live will not work once the email has been changed to a different one.

Wow...never knew this...thanks for your thoughtful insights. So if I understand you, does it mean when you loose your Windows Live ID (Maybe Microsoft deleting it), you can still have access to Xbox Live? How? Coz I know a single Microsoft account signs you into all these services (skydrive, mail, xbox libe etc) so how can you sign into xbox when your Windows Live id gets deleted?
    If the email has been deactivated, and you sign in to your xbox account, xbox live will prompt you to enter a valid email address. It will not affect your xbox live account if the email gets deactivated. As I said, Xbox Live, Zune, and Windows Marketplace apps all goes down to one billing service under Xbox Live, or your gamertag to be more precise.

You can easily change the Microsoft account associated with your windows 8 user by changing the account to a local account (disconnecting it from the live id) and then changing it back to a Microsoft account.
    This means if you already install software and set up your computer a certain way (and have all your documents, photos etc.) it will all just sync to the new account.

I'm not sure about the store, but until yesterday, all apps were free so it shouldn't be an issue right now (I would assume purchases in win8 will be tied to the same xbox billing account)
    the bigger issue is skydrive, but you can just download whatever you have there and move it to the new account.
    Thanks for the tip about Windows 8 settings. And yes, apps purchased from any Windows Marketplace, or Xbox Live or even Zune and Zune Music Pass will all go through the same billing service.

I am not sure why this post confuses me a little.

For me, I did not have a hotmail or live email account. My Microsoft ID was my yahoo email and it was used for windows phone, skydrive and xbox. I wanted to create a new outlook account and move everything over to that and get rid of my yahoo email completly. I don't like having multiple email accounts, just want one. It's too bad I created a new outlook account before I realized I could just change my Windows ID name. Now I have to wait and see if MS will let users merge and purge multiple accounts that they "own". I am stuck at the moment.
    As I mentioned in another thread before, your live ID is just a key to your core account which is your Xbox Live gamertag. So basically your email is just an email, and services linked with that email can still be linked to microsoft services. I am sure you can still upgrade yahoo or gmail to hotmail/live, then outlook.
    kenzibit likes this.
    08-03-2012 05:32 AM
    If the email has been deactivated, and you sign in to your xbox account, xbox live will prompt you to enter a valid email address. It will not affect your xbox live account if the email gets deactivated. As I said, Xbox Live, Zune, and Windows Marketplace apps all goes down to one billing service under Xbox Live, or your gamertag to be more precise.
    All but not Skydrive? And also you'll be able to sign into xbox with the deactivated email and when you get in, xbox will prompt you to change or enter a valid email address? That's a smart move from MSFT....I just love that feature.
    08-03-2012 08:46 AM
    This is the same as me with my gmail account. I understand that when you switch from hotmail or live to outlook you keep your 25gb skydrive. Did you keep your 25gb skydrive when you went from gmail > hotmail > outlook?
    Yes I did. The whole process was quite painless. Of course, setting up my phone took some time, but I didn't mind. Currently I'm in the process of eliminating google from everything. The tough part is going to be my rss stuff. In fact, I'll probably go ahead and say it will be impossible to eliminate that at the moment. I migrate between rss reader apps so frequently, it's just easier to have it all in google.
    johngreenan likes this.
    08-03-2012 09:18 AM
    For some reason the WP marketplace shows the option to buy already purchased apps. But if you go ahead and click it doesn't charge you again or anything...kinda confusing.
    If you go to "My Phone" then "Account", all your free apps and apps you bought will be listed. Just hit the reinstall link on the right.
    08-03-2012 09:28 AM
    Yes I did. The whole process was quite painless. Of course, setting up my phone took some time, but I didn't mind. Currently I'm in the process of eliminating google from everything. The tough part is going to be my rss stuff. In fact, I'll probably go ahead and say it will be impossible to eliminate that at the moment. I migrate between rss reader apps so frequently, it's just easier to have it all in google.
    I migrated all my RSS stuff over to Twitter about a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. Main advantage is news comes in a lot faster.
    08-03-2012 10:06 AM
    sigh.. i just cant get used to the idea of twitter replacing rss... i need to get with the times :(
    08-03-2012 01:32 PM
    I migrated all my RSS stuff over to Twitter about a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. Main advantage is news comes in a lot faster.
    Are you saying Twitter can handle RSS feeds? Or do you mean switching from RSS feeds to twitter feeds by fallowing the news outlet?
    08-03-2012 01:40 PM
    Are you saying Twitter can handle RSS feeds? Or do you mean switching from RSS feeds to twitter feeds by fallowing the news outlet?
    Oh the latter haha. I don't know if it's possible to follow RSS via Twitter, though there may be some way...but you wouldn't reap the advantage of having to-the-second updates since RSS generally has a delay on breaking news.
    budney likes this.
    08-03-2012 02:03 PM
    All but not Skydrive? And also you'll be able to sign into xbox with the deactivated email and when you get in, xbox will prompt you to change or enter a valid email address? That's a smart move from MSFT....I just love that feature.
    Yes, all but SkyDrive. Because SkyDrive is part of windows live/microsoft account, not a separate service like Zune or Xbox Live. Like I said, your email is just a key to your main account, so if your email is not valid, Xbox will then pompt you to enter a new one. I've had this before a few years back with a yahoo account when I switched to hotmail.
    kenzibit likes this.
    08-03-2012 05:20 PM
    Yes, all but SkyDrive. Because SkyDrive is part of windows live/microsoft account, not a separate service like Zune or Xbox Live. Like I said, your email is just a key to your main account, so if your email is not valid, Xbox will then pompt you to enter a new one. I've had this before a few years back with a yahoo account when I switched to hotmail.
    Really cool but also do you loose everything including email and skydrive when banned from xbox live? Or you just loose the xbox associated services and you still get your email ad skydrive?

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express
    08-03-2012 07:34 PM
    Something cool, and not so cool I've discovered. Maybe it's new, maybe not. Anyways...

When you send a picture to someone, you can "send files using skydrive" which is pretty cool because it hosts the picture, people can comment on it, etc. However, each time you do it, it creates a new folder on skydrive that is the title of the email, with the picture contained in it. This folder syncs with your wp7 device. Right now, I have about 17 new picture folders on my phone. I'm not crazy about that at all. I'd rather have a single folder named "email" or "shared" or something, and then subfolders with the email name.
    08-03-2012 08:50 PM
    Really cool but also do you loose everything including email and skydrive when banned from xbox live? Or you just loose the xbox associated services and you still get your email ad skydrive?

Yes, you still have your email and SkyDrive active, and your purchases will still be on Xbox Live, but you won't have access to Xbox Live and Zune marketplace since having a banned account won't be able to sign in to Xbox Live. In this situation, you can create a new Xbox Live account, and just associate your current active email to that account. Although the downside is you have to repurchase all your apps and 0 gamerscore.
    kenzibit likes this.
    08-03-2012 09:50 PM
    I still use my Hotmail account as my ID. However, I registered a few Outlook addresses that I hope to use to eventually replace my existing addresses from Hotmail and Gmail.

Problem is that for some reason only one Outlook address will sync with my phone. Any time I try to add another I get a message that the address isn't recognized.
    08-04-2012 02:01 AM
    Why am I not seeing contacts updates from Twitter and facebook in my new outlook mail? I have all my social networks connected to my outlook but don't see any updates from my contacts although I can write on their FB wall and mention them on Twitter straight from my mail contacts. I used to see all updates in hotmail but don't see them anymore in my outlook. Any reasons please?
    08-04-2012 06:58 AM
    OOhh and also how do I unlink (unmerge) two contacts? I accidentally merged two contacts into one since they had similar names but no the same person. Now outlook see's them as one contact. Any way to unlink them please?
    08-04-2012 07:01 AM
    OOhh and also how do I unlink (unmerge) two contacts? I accidentally merged two contacts into one since they had similar names but no the same person. Now outlook see's them as one contact. Any way to unlink them please?
    When you select a linked contact, you should have a Links item in the top menu. Click this to see all links and to remove any of them.
    08-04-2012 01:42 PM
    Bit the bullet and switched. Managed to nab firstname@outlook.com as an alias, so switched it to main name. Nearly finished setting everything back up. :D
    08-04-2012 01:54 PM
    When you select a linked contact, you should have a Links item in the top menu. Click this to see all links and to remove any of them.
    Wow, got it. Thanks ;-)
    BTW, do you know how to merge two or more contacts manually? Anyway better the the cleanup contacts system in the top menu?)

08-04-2012 03:42 PM
179 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD