Update to outlook.com and keep purchased apps

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has updated their hotmail account to outlook.com. I know by default messages sent to [your hotmail username]@outlook.com will get sent to you if you create the alias, but I want my live account to actually BE my outlook address. There's an option to change it but it gives the following warning:

"Warning: You might not want to change this email address if you've used it to set up a Windows Phone. On your phone, features that use this address will stop working, including Marketplace, Xbox LIVE, SkyDrive, email, and others. To use these features again on your phone, you'd need to restore it to factory settings, which erases all personal content."

I can't really tell what this means. I have purchased apps under my @hotmail live account ID, so I want to confirm that these would be retained (after I factory reset and log in using my @outlook login). I'm also using Windows 8 which requires a Live sign in which is also my @hotmail account...so I'm assuming the behavior would be the same. I'm just hesitant to update my ID if it means losing my settings=/ I would hope MSFT would anticipate this and it should work perfectly...

UPDATE: The Outlook team has answered the question and apparently given the go-ahead on renaming your Live ID to outlook.com via their IAmA on Reddit. Here's the link (also discussed below in the thread): http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/xgjrw/we_are_the_team_behind_the_new_outlookcom_service/

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I tried the site by curiosity and it replaced my hotmail account automatically. Now when I got to hotmail.com it sends me to outlook.com. I don't like this.

Edit: Oh there's and option to go back to Hotmail. This is alright then.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I tried the site by curiosity and it replaced my hotmail account automatically. Now when I got to hotmail.com it sends me to outlook.com. I don't like this.

You can switch back to hotmail view by clicking on the gear icon in the upper right. But regardless, your Live ID hasn't changed. You still log in with [your address]@hotmail.com. I want to change my Account's Live ID from @hotmail TO @outlook and retain my settings/purchases.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I notice it. It looks pretty good and is fast, it suffers from the same Metro problems such as hidden options for the same of looking clean.

The Calendar and Skydrive options aren't Metro though =(.

CronGM

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
If no one has an answer in the next few hours, I might just go ahead and take the plunge. Being an early adopter sometimes demands sacrifices.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If no one has an answer in the next few hours, I might just go ahead and take the plunge. Being an early adopter sometimes demands sacrifices.

Don't do it bro, it's no worth it.

You will get the same outlook experience in the web without changing your hotmail account. Are you really that ashamed by it that you will risk losing everything?

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I went and grabbed an alias so I could get my name but I set up my phone with my hotmail.com account. From what I read I need to reset my phone (and start all over again with contacts, facebook, marketplace) if I want to use outlook.com as my email account on my phone.

I think I'll wait until this all shakes out. :confused:

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, Mary Jo Foley on Twitter responded to me and linked to this ZDnet post by Matt Miller:

Windows Phone users: do not rename your email to Outlook.com | ZDNet

Here's a sample from the post:

"From what I can tell, you can go and sign up for Outlook.com email accounts to ensure you get the name you want and then just leave the Live.com or Hotmail.com email you have associated with your Windows Phone in place. I imagine this will change with Windows Phone 8, but it seems these two teams were not working together for this Outlook.com rollout."

Evidently we're stuck for now...glad I didn't tempt fate and try anyway! Given that this outlook.com stuff is still a preview, I'm hoping the situation changes soon though.

CronGM

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Aaaaand here's the answer! Apparently everything works out OK after the factory resetting. :D

You will not have to re-purchase anything. For WP7 you will need to reset your phone, and signin with the new account. You will need to reinstall all apps, but won't have to re-purchase any of them. You'll also need to go to sync settings and make sure mail is enabled.

For W8, you need to disconnect your account and then reconnect your new one, but then everything is preserved.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Aaaaand here's the answer! Apparently everything works out OK after the factory resetting. :D

Ha! I just was over there and was about to cut and paste the following and you beat me to it:

Q: I have purchased apps and settings (on WP7 and W8) associated with my @hotmail Live ID. I want to update my account's ID to my new @outlook.com address and retain all my settings and purchases. Is this possible yet?

• You will not have to re-purchase anything. For WP7 you will need to reset your phone, and signin with the new account. You will need to reinstall all apps, but won't have to re-purchase any of them. You'll also need to go to sync settings and make sure mail is enabled.
For W8, you need to disconnect your account and then reconnect your new one, but then everything is preserved.

So there youhave it folks - all your purchases etc will absolutely migrate over and then you'll have to switch your Xbox Live gamertag over to the new address via XBox console (unless I'm missong something and this also happens automatically) and then hard reset your phone and sign in with the new @outlook.com address to get it all working again.

I might even try this tonight!

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it bro, it's no worth it.

You will get the same outlook experience in the web without changing your hotmail account. Are you really that ashamed by it that you will risk losing everything?

Very sensible comment. But the problem is what if Microsoft one day forces us all to switch to outlook because it's deleting hotmail and live?

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol, yep that was me. About to post it here, but you beat me to it! Still though...kinda want someone else to do it first and report back =P

I don't have a reddit account - could you pop back in there and ask them about reassiging your Xbox Live Gamertag to your new @outlook ID via Xbox console?.

I'd have thought this step would be necessary otherwise Windows phone will generate a "fake" gamertag for you.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a reddit account - could you pop back in there and ask them about reassiging your Xbox Live Gamertag to your new @outlook ID via Xbox console?.

I'd have thought this step would be necessary otherwise Windows phone will generate a "fake" gamertag for you.

Lol I didn't have a Reddit account until today either:) I don't have an XBOX or anything XBOX related...so I might not be the best one to ask the question. If you look through the entire page, maybe someone has already asked?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol I didn't have a Reddit account until today either:) I don't have an XBOX or anything XBOX related...so I might not be the best one to ask the question. If you look through the entire page, maybe someone has already asked?

Nah, already checked. Just wonderd if you'd be willing to ask so I don't have to go through the whole sign up procedure.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
That's good to know =).

I'll staying with my Hotmail account anyway, everyone uses Hotmail here anyway.

Yeah, I'm with you bro and don't plan on changing unless maybe Microsoft forces us to.

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

Call me superficial, but Hotmail addresses are somewhat stigmatized nowadays...that and I can't help but update everything I own all the time. It's a hard life we lead us early adopters...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo