Update to outlook.com and keep purchased apps

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, thought you meant you didnt have to log out. Only thing keeping all WP users is probably the lack of backup, otherwise I personally would switch.

Yeah I imagine so... I sold my Lumia 710 when I found out it wouldn't get Windows Phone 8 so when I get my new WP8 phone later this year, I'll just sign in using my new Outlook ID :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I imagine so... I sold my Lumia 710 when I found out it wouldn't get Windows Phone 8 so when I get my new WP8 phone later this year, I'll just sign in using my new Outlook ID :)

Can you check your Skydrive, whats your storage? Did you have the 25GB before and do you still have it or not?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I must be dumb today, whenever I try to use a different email address as my Microsoft account, I can create a new one, with live or hotmail as the options, or use a different address, but when I type in my outlook alias, i get this message:

You can't use @outlook.com in your Microsoft account email address. Please try a different email address.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I must be dumb today, whenever I try to use a different email address as my Microsoft account, I can create a new one, with live or hotmail as the options, or use a different address, but when I type in my outlook alias, i get this message:

You can't use @outlook.com in your Microsoft account email address. Please try a different email address.

My guess is you haven't yet activated the Outlook.com preview on your account. Try logging out of everything, then go to outlook.com. Sign in using your current Live ID and then go to the gear icon in the upper right and select mail settings. You should find the same option to use another address as your ID, but now outlook.com should be one of the options.

(I think while logged into Hotmail, there's also an option under settings to just preview Outlook, but I can't confirm that.)

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Let us know the answer then....Good Luck :)

I just did it, everything remains intact. My 25gb skydrive, purchased apps, xbox live account. Im set.

So now my primary email is the outlook email and converted my hotmail to just an alias...

So looks good on my end.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My guess is you haven't yet activated the Outlook.com preview on your account. Try logging out of everything, then go to outlook.com. Sign in using your current Live ID and then go to the gear icon in the upper right and select mail settings. You should find the same option to use another address as your ID, but now outlook.com should be one of the options.

(I think while logged into Hotmail, there's also an option under settings to just preview Outlook, but I can't confirm that.)

Still the same. I can create an alias with no problem, but when I try to rename my email address, it's the same issue.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I just did it, everything remains intact. My 25gb skydrive, purchased apps, xbox live account. Im set.

So now my primary email is the outlook email and converted my hotmail to just an alias...

So looks good on my end.

Messenger working ok?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Bummer. I jumped in to get my name and created a new account. Now I can't change it to an alias, which I would have prefered.

I see your hasty mistake and raise you TWO hasty mistakes! I created two new accounts with both names I wanted in the mayhem of the early hours and had to figure out a third for my real account -_-

...I wonder if I delete the accounts...how long until I can use them as an alias or to replace my current one? Anyone know?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I see your hasty mistake and raise you TWO hasty mistakes! I created two new accounts with both names I wanted in the mayhem of the early hours and had to figure out a third for my real account -_-

...I wonder if I delete the accounts...how long until I can use them as an alias or to replace my current one? Anyone know?

270 days. I registered two emails, i closed one today and in the end, says it will go back into circulation in 270 days, if you login anywhere within the 270 days, it will reactive.

Thats what it says, not sure if it will go through the ful 270 though.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

So looks good on my end.

Have you tried using the new outlook account to log into a social network or any associated service that was linked to the old hotmail?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I actually created 3 and picked one from there. After I read about the alias option I tried to change the one I liked to an alias but no go....so I created another one for that. Maybe when it gets out of preview there will be other options or a way to contact MS for a fix.

I actually would like a new email account and move everything to it. I have been using yahoo for my primary live ID and email.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I tooked the plunged. Currently passing files to my Phone again.

I'll have to say, there's something weird about using @outlook. Feels fancy.

Also my messenger won't work on the site, nor MSN or Facebook chat.

Edit: Messenger works now, now that I set up my account on the phone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos