Update to outlook.com and keep purchased apps

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
ok there is alot of info out there and its a little confusing. I have a @live acct. Tied in of course to my WP, XBox and Skydrive. I made a @outlook acct but havent done anything else. Whats the best way of tying all this together.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Just rename your Live account to an outlook account. It will give you the access to start with a new name and it will hold all your contacts and account info.

Is really easy, the downside is having to reset your windows phone if you used that particular account to activate it.

Now my outlook account controls msn, mail, skydrive, xbox, zune etc... it even has the same password.

mworsham

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
They will go on your hotmail inbox on your phone. I'm liking it having it separate, I feel like a big shot.

They are going to the separate folder, so I don't get a notification on my L900. That's why I want to change it to have the emails go to my Hotmail inbox.

tap tap tap

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Aaaah, I got confused. I'll check for an answer.

Edit: Didn't see anything, I guess you will need to cancel the alias and make it again.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
ok there is alot of info out there and its a little confusing. I have a @live acct. Tied in of course to my WP, XBox and Skydrive. I made a @outlook acct but havent done anything else. Whats the best way of tying all this together.

You made the same mistake I did...you can't do this. You need to log into your live account email, go to settings, choose to try out the Outlook preview, then go back to settings, and find the option that lets you "rename your email address." At that point, you make up whatever @outlook you want and proceed. However, since you've already created the one you really want, you cannot choose it to replace your @live since it will be seen as unavailable:(

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
You made the same mistake I did...you can't do this. You need to log into your live account email, go to settings, choose to try out the Outlook preview, then go back to settings, and find the option that lets you "rename your email address." At that point, you make up whatever @outlook you want and proceed. However, since you've already created the one you really want, you cannot choose it to replace your @live since it will be seen as unavailable:(

You can for now create an alias outlook account and when you get a windows 8 phone you can convert the msn.com or hotmail or live over when you activate the new device.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Or he could change his account now and join us future people.

Hoverboard.png

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just rename your Live account to an outlook account. It will give you the access to start with a new name and it will hold all your contacts and account info.

Is really easy, the downside is having to reset your windows phone if you used that particular account to activate it.

Now my outlook account controls msn, mail, skydrive, xbox, zune etc... it even has the same password.

so in the Live options> Update email address? I should put in my new outlook email address?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, unless you cancel the new account and make a new one. But You will have to wait a couple of days if I'm not mistaken for the name to be free again.

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
@mtmjr90 @winterfang thanks for the info. With your help I was able to successfully get it done. I'll just have to forget the original outlook account I made and just used my real name, which was available. Reset my phone and logged in, skydrive was ok as was the CC info in the Marketplace. Thanks again.

All I need now is the update from ATT *sigh*

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Sweet, also be sure to joink some cool Alias also. Is very rare to get an email that you can actually say out loud. I got my alias specially for that.

Edit: Curses that gave me the idea to just have my first name but it was already taken lol.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Every time I enter either my new alias, or a different one, in the "rename my mailbox" settings it tells me I can't use an @outlook.com in my Microsoft account email address.

jmerrey-albums3-223.jpg

Last edited:

CronGM

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
To be clear, you're talking about your phone right? (I ask because I'm only able to confirm that both are working fine in my browser on my Win8 PC since I'm sans WP at the moment.)

The Messenger problem was through my entire account. I later logged in from Windows Live Messenger on a PC and contacts started to pop up one by one. Almost all of them now show up properly online on my account when they are, well, online.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Call me superficial, but Hotmail addresses are somewhat stigmatized nowadays...that and I can't help but update everything I own all the time. It's a hard life we lead us early adopters...

I bought my own domain about a decade, doesn't matter what the underlying freemail is - it's currently run via gmail but it could be switched to outlook/hotmail if needed - much easier and avoids that freemail stigma.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb