Update to outlook.com and keep purchased apps

Zanzar

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
i'm missing one important info on all this:

if i switch my hotmail address to outlook, will my old hotmail address still exist?

like if somebody emails me on my hotmail address, does it get forwarded to my outlook address or does the sender get "email address does not exist"?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
i'm missing one important info on all this:

if i switch my hotmail address to outlook, will my old hotmail address still exist?

like if somebody emails me on my hotmail address, does it get forwarded to my outlook address or does the sender get "email address does not exist"?

No it gets forwarded.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I forgot I was logged into my Live account so when I went to outlook.com it automatically pumped me to the new layout. Not bad. Looks like a natural extension of the email hub in Windows 8. In fact, it's almost too simplistic. Although I think it's still more esthetically pleasing than the online Office beta. Also the new mobile version looks a lot better. I thought about creating a new @outlook account but I don't see a reason why. Besides, I think @live sounds better. :p

ph3n0m3n0n

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
i did the renaming of my live account to outlook, now i can receive e-mails with both domains. that?s fine but how does it work? there is no alias in the aliases menu so i guess its somewhere hidden. so how long will my old address be valid?! does anybody have a clue?

No it gets forwarded.

mworsham

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I set up my alias and chose to have emails to my alias go to a new folder. Any way to change it to have emails to my alias go to my Hotmail inbox instead?

This turned out to be an easy fix. Outlook had created a rule to move messages to my @outlook address to a different folder. I removed that rule and now those messages stay in my inbox.

tap tap tap

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Unless I am missing something obvious - are you trying to register

Yourname@outlook.com@outlook.com ?

well, I've selected "Use a different address" not the "create a new email address" and I don't see anything in the "use a different address" that assumes the @outlook.com

but just to make sure, I entered just the part before the @, and got this error message:

Your email address can contain only letters, numbers, periods (.), hyphens (-), and underscores (_). It can't contain special characters, accented letters, or letters outside the Latin alphabet.

what I entered was 7 letters, my first initial and my last name

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I kinda got lost in all the posts.
I want to preserve my name in Outlook.com. Can I reserve it without having to switch my phone over? I don't want to have to do a hard reset. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of all the re-syncing and stuff. I'll eventually get a WP8 phone and address it then. For now I just want to reserve my name and continue using my existing Hotmail account.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and registered my preferred @outlook.com address but i didn't link it to my current live account. I'll just sit on it until MS forces me to use it.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried using the new outlook account to log into a social network or any associated service that was linked to the old hotmail?

Yes, mine is syncin fine With LinkedIn. It was attached to my hotmail and is still working fine after the switch. :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I kinda got lost in all the posts.
I want to preserve my name in Outlook.com. Can I reserve it without having to switch my phone over? I don't want to have to do a hard reset. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of all the re-syncing and stuff. I'll eventually get a WP8 phone and address it then. For now I just want to reserve my name and continue using my existing Hotmail account.

In that case just create an Alias. That will be another email that will be linked to your account.

For example you have Jleebiker@hotmail.com, the site will still say outlook.com but all your emails will still get into your hotmail account without any problems.

Now you just go to the create an alias in options and make JustinBiever.Nickelback.Hockey.Canada@outlook.com and you just secured that account for your pleasure and satisfaction.

You then have to options either the emails you receive in your justin account appear in your main inbox (Linked inbox) or have a separate folder in which all the emails appear in there.

That way there's zero risk and you secured your justin account.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hoooorrraaayyyy, just did mine and sll seems good. Damn, I was scared. One thing is all my inboxes appear on my phone's start screen except the outlook. It was on my start screen when it was hotmail now I'm in as outlook and can't find it. How do I get outlook messages on my phone then? Help

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Hoooorrraaayyyy, just did mine and sll seems good. Damn, I was scared. One thing is all my inboxes appear on my phone's start screen except the outlook. It was on my start screen when it was hotmail now I'm in as outlook and can't find it. How do I get outlook messages on my phone then? Help

I am guessing if you created a new outlook email or changed your MS account email to outlook you will need to so into settings and add the new email account. If it is already added check the settings and be sure sync email is checked.

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
so i reset my phone.
Signed in using my renamed @outlook.com email id.
Everything working fine. all purchased apps there.
have 25 gigs in skydrive. xbox live working.

:cool:

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing if you created a new outlook email or changed your MS account email to outlook you will need to so into settings and add the new email account. If it is already added check the settings and be sure sync email is checked.

Can you please give me a step by step giude...I'm totally lost :(

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
In your phone

Outlook>Inbox>dotdotdot>Folders. This should display your aliases and the old account.

The only outlook I have is the one for my work mail and if I try and set one up for the new outlook mail it tells me accouunt already exists. Which outlook folder are you talking abouut...please :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)