Update to outlook.com and keep purchased apps

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Alright now I'm confused. Is your outlook old or it's a hotmail account renamed? If it's the latter then what I said should work.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings< email + accounts.

Do you see all of your email accounts you want on your phone?

If you don't see all of the ones you want, add the missing one. If it is the new outlook you can either choose to add it as a windows live account or an outlook account. I picked windows live because I like the tile icon better than the outlook tile.

If you do see all the accounts you want there, but there is not a tile for one of them, the only way I know to bring the tile back is to delete the email account on the phone and add it back.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings< email + accounts.

Do you see all of your email accounts you want on your phone?

If you don't see all of the ones you want, add the missing one. If it is the new outlook you can either choose to add it as a windows live account or an outlook account. I picked windows live because I like the tile icon better than the outlook tile.

If you do see all the accounts you want there, but there is not a tile for one of them, the only way I know to bring the tile back is to delete the email account on the phone and add it back.

I see all my accounts just like before just that the outlook (renamed hotmail) has no tile. It used to have when it was hotmail but not now. All my tiles for the various mail inboxes are there but not the renamed Outlook.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
well, I've selected "Use a different address" not the "create a new email address" and I don't see anything in the "use a different address" that assumes the @outlook.com

but just to make sure, I entered just the part before the @, and got this error message:

Your email address can contain only letters, numbers, periods (.), hyphens (-), and underscores (_). It can't contain special characters, accented letters, or letters outside the Latin alphabet.

what I entered was 7 letters, my first initial and my last name

I think it is a glitch. I bet your windows account is not hotmail or live, yahoo maybe? For some reason it is not allowing me to change my name either, as I use yahoo. I have two options when I try to rename my account.

1. Create a new email address (if I select this one it has to be a @hotmail account)

2. Use a different address (this one allows me to create my own, but @outlook is not recognized or added to this part of the system yet)

Only way at the moment I see around this is to change your windows name to a hotmail one (option 1) and then change it to an outlook one.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has updated their hotmail account to outlook.com. I know by default messages sent to [your hotmail username]@outlook.com will get sent to you if you create the alias, but I want my live account to actually BE my outlook address. There's an option to change it but it gives the following warning:

"Warning: You might not want to change this email address if you've used it to set up a Windows Phone. On your phone, features that use this address will stop working, including Marketplace, Xbox LIVE, SkyDrive, email, and others. To use these features again on your phone, you'd need to restore it to factory settings, which erases all personal content."

I can't really tell what this means. I have purchased apps under my @hotmail live account ID, so I want to confirm that these would be retained (after I factory reset and log in using my @outlook login). I'm also using Windows 8 which requires a Live sign in which is also my @hotmail account...so I'm assuming the behavior would be the same. I'm just hesitant to update my ID if it means losing my settings=/ I would hope MSFT would anticipate this and it should work perfectly...
]

I went ahead and took the plunge yesterday. All my apps are now associated with my new outlook account :)

The best part within the Website, I can still send email from my old account :)

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No worries. So was that the cause? Sync email box unchecked?

That was the cause my brother, I experimented by unchecking again and it vanished from the start screen....check again and it's back...damn I'm glad. By the way why is it giving us a hotmail icon on the tile? shouldn't it be outlook rather or MS needs to update it later?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I think it is a glitch. I bet your windows account is not hotmail or live, yahoo maybe? For some reason it is not allowing me to change my name either, as I use yahoo. I have two options when I try to rename my account.

1. Create a new email address (if I select this one it has to be a @hotmail account)

2. Use a different address (this one allows me to create my own, but @outlook is not recognized or added to this part of the system yet)

Only way at the moment I see around this is to change your windows name to a hotmail one (option 1) and then change it to an outlook one.

Very nice! That worked perfectly. Thank you!

prowade

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Closing your outlook account

I opened an Outlook account to "reserve" it for myself and now I want to rename my primary account to the new outlook one. But it says it could take 270 days to delete the outlook email.

Anyone know a way around this?

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
That was the cause my brother, I experimented by unchecking again and it vanished from the start screen....check again and it's back...damn I'm glad. By the way why is it giving us a hotmail icon on the tile? shouldn't it be outlook rather or MS needs to update it later?

it will be updated later, for now we have to use the hotmail icon

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
By the way why is it giving us a hotmail icon on the tile? shouldn't it be outlook rather or MS needs to update it later?
it will be updated later, for now we have to use the hotmail icon

Just curious...as I've said I can't test this since I don't have a WP atm but when I did I set up my Gmail as Exchange by selecting "Outlook" when adding the account. Everything worked the same, but I had the Outlook tile instead of the standard mail tile.

On Android, I am able to set up the new Outlook.com address using the following settings:

Username: [address]@outlook.com
Domain: blank
Server: snt-m.hotmail.com

If you're superficial like me, it might be worth a try setting up your WP mail/contacts/calendar account as a true Outlook account so you can get the "O" tile:)

Last edited:

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been using win8 stand alone now the mail app on the start page hits at hot mail. I think that app is much better there are no adds taking up space not that the new outlook isn't good. just saying.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Quick Tip

People seem to be mistaken about this, but purchases/transactions goes through Microsoft Billing under your Xbox Live account, not email. This is why you can change your Windows Live ID (or Microsoft Account) association in Xbox, just so in case you change your email address, you won't lose any of your purchased apps. If you ever get banned in Xbox Live, that's when you should start to worry.

But in this case, migrating your live, or former hotmail account to outlook should not affect any harm to the services tied to it. That's why it's seamless to switch to outlook, simply because it's only upgrading your email service, and services associated to that account are automatically updated. Hence, you still have your usual services like skydrive, twitter, facebook and Xbox Live, only with upgraded email service.

Although you can still create a new outlook account, and change the association from your Xbox Live account to the new outlook email you just created. So no matter what email you use, your purchased apps are still intact with your Xbox Live account.

However, if you have used Windows 8 before using your live ID as the computers primary login instead of the normal offline login, your Windows 8 PC settings are synced with your Microsoft account and are stored within SkyDrive (not sure if via Windows Live Mesh or personal SkyDrive). So creating a new outlook account will lose these settings, but migrating or upgrading to outlook will not.

Either way, you still have to reset your Windows Phone, as there is absolutely no way to change your primary address. There may be hacks you can use from xda but you get a broken connection with skydrive and email. What I would suggest now is to keep your current live/hotmail account if you are using a windows phone, and do not want to lose your game progress or text messages.

Your choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720