Update to outlook.com and keep purchased apps

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
People seem to be mistaken about this, but purchases/transactions goes through Microsoft Billing under your Xbox Live account, not email. This is why you can change your Windows Live ID (or Microsoft Account) association in Xbox, just so in case you change your email address, you won't lose any of your purchased apps. If you ever get banned in Xbox Live, that's when you should start to worry.

But in this case, migrating your live, or former hotmail account to outlook should not affect any harm to the services tied to it. That's why it's seamless to switch to outlook, simply because it's only upgrading your email service, and services associated to that account are automatically updated. Hence, you still have your usual services like skydrive, twitter, facebook and Xbox Live, only with upgraded email service.

Although you can still create a new outlook account, and change the association from your Xbox Live account to the new outlook email you just created. So no matter what email you use, your purchased apps are still intact with your Xbox Live account.

However, if you have used Windows 8 before using your live ID as the computers primary login instead of the normal offline login, your Windows 8 PC settings are synced with your Microsoft account and are stored within SkyDrive (not sure if via Windows Live Mesh or personal SkyDrive). So creating a new outlook account will lose these settings, but migrating or upgrading to outlook will not.

Either way, you still have to reset your Windows Phone, as there is absolutely no way to change your primary address. There may be hacks you can use from xda but you get a broken connection with skydrive and email. What I would suggest now is to keep your current live/hotmail account if you are using a windows phone, and do not want to lose your game progress or text messages.

Your choice.

Re the XDA hack - actually the email will work fine - you have to just make sure you go to Accounts and ensure the password is correct. It syncs everything without problem. The only thing I've noticed is that when you send email - it still shows as coming from your old Hotmail address.

Haven't checked Skydrive but you could be right there as well.

All in all, I've reset my phone so many times in the last few weeks what's another one? I'm determined to get this phone just the way I want it BEFORE I start playing all my games again! ;)

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, heres a question somewhat related. I have two seperate email addresses. One for banking,business,and purchases. The other for forums,social,etc. I can link the two, but is there a way to see them both on WP7 in one folder/app thingy?

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
People seem to be mistaken about this, but purchases/transactions goes through Microsoft Billing under your Xbox Live account, not email. This is why you can change your Windows Live ID (or Microsoft Account) association in Xbox, just so in case you change your email address, you won't lose any of your purchased apps. If you ever get banned in Xbox Live, that's when you should start to worry.

But in this case, migrating your live, or former hotmail account to outlook should not affect any harm to the services tied to it. That's why it's seamless to switch to outlook, simply because it's only upgrading your email service, and services associated to that account are automatically updated. Hence, you still have your usual services like skydrive, twitter, facebook and Xbox Live, only with upgraded email service.

Although you can still create a new outlook account, and change the association from your Xbox Live account to the new outlook email you just created. So no matter what email you use, your purchased apps are still intact with your Xbox Live account.

However, if you have used Windows 8 before using your live ID as the computers primary login instead of the normal offline login, your Windows 8 PC settings are synced with your Microsoft account and are stored within SkyDrive (not sure if via Windows Live Mesh or personal SkyDrive). So creating a new outlook account will lose these settings, but migrating or upgrading to outlook will not.

Either way, you still have to reset your Windows Phone, as there is absolutely no way to change your primary address. There may be hacks you can use from xda but you get a broken connection with skydrive and email. What I would suggest now is to keep your current live/hotmail account if you are using a windows phone, and do not want to lose your game progress or text messages.

Your choice.

Wow...never knew this...thanks for your thoughtful insights. So if I understand you, does it mean when you loose your Windows Live ID (Maybe Microsoft deleting it), you can still have access to Xbox Live? How? Coz I know a single Microsoft account signs you into all these services (skydrive, mail, xbox libe etc) so how can you sign into xbox when your Windows Live id gets deleted?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Your choice.

I am not sure why this post confuses me a little.

For me, I did not have a hotmail or live email account. My Microsoft ID was my yahoo email and it was used for windows phone, skydrive and xbox. I wanted to create a new outlook account and move everything over to that and get rid of my yahoo email completly. I don't like having multiple email accounts, just want one. It's too bad I created a new outlook account before I realized I could just change my Windows ID name. Now I have to wait and see if MS will let users merge and purge multiple accounts that they "own". I am stuck at the moment.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Call me superficial, but Hotmail addresses are somewhat stigmatized nowadays...that and I can't help but update everything I own all the time. It's a hard life we lead us early adopters...

didn't read the whole thread. so sorry if I'm repeating things

I recently moved my gamertag to a new live id account. it was very easy to do but strange that you must do it using an xbox. The only hard part was having to do a hard reset on the phone.

you should really consider getting your own domain. I've been using my own domain for email for a long time. until 6 months ago it would just forward to a gmail account, but they I noticed Hotmail lets you use your own domains for free (and that functionality still exists for outlook.com, since it's just a new web app for accessing the same service).
Your own domain name will allow you to use whatever name you want in front of the @ and won't have the stigma Hotmail.com has (or gmail.com, yahoo.com and eventually outlook.com)

you can go to domains.live.com to set it up.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Your choice.

You can easily change the Microsoft account associated with your windows 8 user by changing the account to a local account (disconnecting it from the live id) and then changing it back to a Microsoft account.
This means if you already install software and set up your computer a certain way (and have all your documents, photos etc.) it will all just sync to the new account.

I'm not sure about the store, but until yesterday, all apps were free so it shouldn't be an issue right now (I would assume purchases in win8 will be tied to the same xbox billing account)
the bigger issue is skydrive, but you can just download whatever you have there and move it to the new account.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I can't seem to find an answer for my issues. if it was posted sorry. :)

My live.com/ID is my gmail address. When I go to create a new email address for my MS account, it doesn't give me the outlook.com option (live & hotmail only). How do I go about get it changed outlook.com?

FreeFool

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new here,

I have a windows phone and an xbox connected to my hotmail address and i am trying to make sense of all the conversations flying around here.

As far as i can see i should be able to convert to a new outlook address and continue my services as normal (retain 25G of Skydrive, hard reset my phone and log in to xbox live with the new email address).

I'm curious about the benefits of converting from an old hotmail address to a new outlook address? What are they? are they purely aesthetic?

If i convert, will the junk mail i currently get not be routed though to my new outlook address? as i understand regular messages will be forwarded, so i guess junk would as well? i would love to start a clean slate and be junk mail free but retain MS services through the same 'account'.

If junk mail will still be forwarded, i dont see much of a draw to convert as i have changed to the new outlook web look anyway. Unless you can enlighten me?? Thanks.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

My live.com/ID is my gmail address. When I go to create a new email address for my MS account, it doesn't give me the outlook.com option (live & hotmail only). How do I go about get it changed outlook.com?

It should default to an outlook email when you sign-up.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

This sounds like the exact problem I was having. You first have to change to a live.com or hotmail.com email address, then change it to an outlook.com address. I guess there is a bug when changing from gmail, yahoo, and others. This is not my solution, it was posted by someone else, I can't take credit for it :)

Please read this thread though, I don't want to be leading you astray! I did this, but I had to reset my phone to get my apps and such to keep working.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
This sounds like the exact problem I was having. You first have to change to a live.com or hotmail.com email address, then change it to an outlook.com address. I guess there is a bug when changing from gmail, yahoo, and others. This is not my solution, it was posted by someone else, I can't take credit for it :)

Please read this thread though, I don't want to be leading you astray! I did this, but I had to reset my phone to get my apps and such to keep working.

Ah ok, makes sense. I am well aware of having to reset my phone. Lucky for me I don't have a lot of apps on it yet. Thanks! :)

svgtom

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site

This is what I also needed to do since my account ID was my ISP email address. I reset my phone to get my apps but I don't see where they are available for me to download. Do I need to search for each one individually? When I brought one of the apps I had paid for, it showed the option to buy it. What am I doing wrong?

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
This is what I also needed to do since my account ID was my ISP email address. I reset my phone to get my apps but I don't see where they are available for me to download. Do I need to search for each one individually? When I brought one of the apps I had paid for, it showed the option to buy it. What am I doing wrong?

Just go to the marketplace on your computer and send the apps you bought or want to your phone. :)

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

For some reason the WP marketplace shows the option to buy already purchased apps. But if you go ahead and click it doesn't charge you again or anything...kinda confusing.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to loose my SkyDrive, though I want to switch over. Now I have two accounts and MS' linking tool/site doesn't work. I can't turn off contacts for my old account on my WP7, otherwise that would work as a trick.

I'm stuck! I will just use it for email.

In the article Daniel alluded to a fix. W8 app? Out of beta? Better People site? Better linking?

johngreenan

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

This is the same as me with my gmail account. I understand that when you switch from hotmail or live to outlook you keep your 25gb skydrive. Did you keep your 25gb skydrive when you went from gmail > hotmail > outlook?

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Re the XDA hack - actually the email will work fine - you have to just make sure you go to Accounts and ensure the password is correct. It syncs everything without problem. The only thing I've noticed is that when you send email - it still shows as coming from your old Hotmail address.

Haven't checked Skydrive but you could be right there as well.

All in all, I've reset my phone so many times in the last few weeks what's another one? I'm determined to get this phone just the way I want it BEFORE I start playing all my games again! ;)

Ok thanks for the correction, so emails work fine, but I know I've read somewhere that skydrive backup and xbox live will not work once the email has been changed to a different one.

Wow...never knew this...thanks for your thoughtful insights. So if I understand you, does it mean when you loose your Windows Live ID (Maybe Microsoft deleting it), you can still have access to Xbox Live? How? Coz I know a single Microsoft account signs you into all these services (skydrive, mail, xbox libe etc) so how can you sign into xbox when your Windows Live id gets deleted?

If the email has been deactivated, and you sign in to your xbox account, xbox live will prompt you to enter a valid email address. It will not affect your xbox live account if the email gets deactivated. As I said, Xbox Live, Zune, and Windows Marketplace apps all goes down to one billing service under Xbox Live, or your gamertag to be more precise.

You can easily change the Microsoft account associated with your windows 8 user by changing the account to a local account (disconnecting it from the live id) and then changing it back to a Microsoft account.
This means if you already install software and set up your computer a certain way (and have all your documents, photos etc.) it will all just sync to the new account.

I'm not sure about the store, but until yesterday, all apps were free so it shouldn't be an issue right now (I would assume purchases in win8 will be tied to the same xbox billing account)
the bigger issue is skydrive, but you can just download whatever you have there and move it to the new account.

Thanks for the tip about Windows 8 settings. And yes, apps purchased from any Windows Marketplace, or Xbox Live or even Zune and Zune Music Pass will all go through the same billing service.

I am not sure why this post confuses me a little.

For me, I did not have a hotmail or live email account. My Microsoft ID was my yahoo email and it was used for windows phone, skydrive and xbox. I wanted to create a new outlook account and move everything over to that and get rid of my yahoo email completly. I don't like having multiple email accounts, just want one. It's too bad I created a new outlook account before I realized I could just change my Windows ID name. Now I have to wait and see if MS will let users merge and purge multiple accounts that they "own". I am stuck at the moment.

As I mentioned in another thread before, your live ID is just a key to your core account which is your Xbox Live gamertag. So basically your email is just an email, and services linked with that email can still be linked to microsoft services. I am sure you can still upgrade yahoo or gmail to hotmail/live, then outlook.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If the email has been deactivated, and you sign in to your xbox account, xbox live will prompt you to enter a valid email address. It will not affect your xbox live account if the email gets deactivated. As I said, Xbox Live, Zune, and Windows Marketplace apps all goes down to one billing service under Xbox Live, or your gamertag to be more precise.

All but not Skydrive? And also you'll be able to sign into xbox with the deactivated email and when you get in, xbox will prompt you to change or enter a valid email address? That's a smart move from MSFT....I just love that feature.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
This is the same as me with my gmail account. I understand that when you switch from hotmail or live to outlook you keep your 25gb skydrive. Did you keep your 25gb skydrive when you went from gmail > hotmail > outlook?

Yes I did. The whole process was quite painless. Of course, setting up my phone took some time, but I didn't mind. Currently I'm in the process of eliminating google from everything. The tough part is going to be my rss stuff. In fact, I'll probably go ahead and say it will be impossible to eliminate that at the moment. I migrate between rss reader apps so frequently, it's just easier to have it all in google.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99