Update to outlook.com and keep purchased apps

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
For some reason the WP marketplace shows the option to buy already purchased apps. But if you go ahead and click it doesn't charge you again or anything...kinda confusing.

If you go to "My Phone" then "Account", all your free apps and apps you bought will be listed. Just hit the reinstall link on the right.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did. The whole process was quite painless. Of course, setting up my phone took some time, but I didn't mind. Currently I'm in the process of eliminating google from everything. The tough part is going to be my rss stuff. In fact, I'll probably go ahead and say it will be impossible to eliminate that at the moment. I migrate between rss reader apps so frequently, it's just easier to have it all in google.

I migrated all my RSS stuff over to Twitter about a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. Main advantage is news comes in a lot faster.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I migrated all my RSS stuff over to Twitter about a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. Main advantage is news comes in a lot faster.

Are you saying Twitter can handle RSS feeds? Or do you mean switching from RSS feeds to twitter feeds by fallowing the news outlet?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying Twitter can handle RSS feeds? Or do you mean switching from RSS feeds to twitter feeds by fallowing the news outlet?

Oh the latter haha. I don't know if it's possible to follow RSS via Twitter, though there may be some way...but you wouldn't reap the advantage of having to-the-second updates since RSS generally has a delay on breaking news.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
All but not Skydrive? And also you'll be able to sign into xbox with the deactivated email and when you get in, xbox will prompt you to change or enter a valid email address? That's a smart move from MSFT....I just love that feature.

Yes, all but SkyDrive. Because SkyDrive is part of windows live/microsoft account, not a separate service like Zune or Xbox Live. Like I said, your email is just a key to your main account, so if your email is not valid, Xbox will then pompt you to enter a new one. I've had this before a few years back with a yahoo account when I switched to hotmail.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, all but SkyDrive. Because SkyDrive is part of windows live/microsoft account, not a separate service like Zune or Xbox Live. Like I said, your email is just a key to your main account, so if your email is not valid, Xbox will then pompt you to enter a new one. I've had this before a few years back with a yahoo account when I switched to hotmail.

Really cool but also do you loose everything including email and skydrive when banned from xbox live? Or you just loose the xbox associated services and you still get your email ad skydrive?

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Something cool, and not so cool I've discovered. Maybe it's new, maybe not. Anyways...

When you send a picture to someone, you can "send files using skydrive" which is pretty cool because it hosts the picture, people can comment on it, etc. However, each time you do it, it creates a new folder on skydrive that is the title of the email, with the picture contained in it. This folder syncs with your wp7 device. Right now, I have about 17 new picture folders on my phone. I'm not crazy about that at all. I'd rather have a single folder named "email" or "shared" or something, and then subfolders with the email name.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Really cool but also do you loose everything including email and skydrive when banned from xbox live? Or you just loose the xbox associated services and you still get your email ad skydrive?

Yes, you still have your email and SkyDrive active, and your purchases will still be on Xbox Live, but you won't have access to Xbox Live and Zune marketplace since having a banned account won't be able to sign in to Xbox Live. In this situation, you can create a new Xbox Live account, and just associate your current active email to that account. Although the downside is you have to repurchase all your apps and 0 gamerscore.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I still use my Hotmail account as my ID. However, I registered a few Outlook addresses that I hope to use to eventually replace my existing addresses from Hotmail and Gmail.

Problem is that for some reason only one Outlook address will sync with my phone. Any time I try to add another I get a message that the address isn't recognized.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Why am I not seeing contacts updates from Twitter and facebook in my new outlook mail? I have all my social networks connected to my outlook but don't see any updates from my contacts although I can write on their FB wall and mention them on Twitter straight from my mail contacts. I used to see all updates in hotmail but don't see them anymore in my outlook. Any reasons please?

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
OOhh and also how do I unlink (unmerge) two contacts? I accidentally merged two contacts into one since they had similar names but no the same person. Now outlook see's them as one contact. Any way to unlink them please?

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
OOhh and also how do I unlink (unmerge) two contacts? I accidentally merged two contacts into one since they had similar names but no the same person. Now outlook see's them as one contact. Any way to unlink them please?

When you select a linked contact, you should have a Links item in the top menu. Click this to see all links and to remove any of them.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
When you select a linked contact, you should have a Links item in the top menu. Click this to see all links and to remove any of them.

Wow, got it. Thanks ;-)
BTW, do you know how to merge two or more contacts manually? Anyway better the the cleanup contacts system in the top menu?)

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow, got it. Thanks ;-)
BTW, do you know how to merge two or more contacts manually? Anyway better the the cleanup contacts system in the top menu?)

Just pick the contacts you want to merge (using the tick boxes next to their name) and click Link in the top menu to merge them.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just pick the contacts you want to merge (using the tick boxes next to their name) and click Link in the top menu to merge them.

Thanks so much for helping me out with my dumb questions.....soo simple. This outlook stuff is all new to me but I'm now gaining grounds ;-)

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, really enjoying ur posts and questions. They have actually address a lot of the concerns/questions I have with the switch. One question I do have is what is this alias thing and how does it work? I have a live ID and want to switch to Outlook. Thanks!

toothy#WN

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
edit - just realized that this is the WP7 forum. I'll repost on a WP8 forum. But I'll leave it here just in case anyone can help.

Hey guys. I want to change from the hotmail.co.uk on my phone to my outlook.com address, and be able to redownload my paid-for apps for free, and transfer my contacts over.

A WPcentral article suggests changing the addresses on my Xbox first, and then hard-resetting the phone, setting up with the new address, and everything will have transferred (I know I have to redownload everything). I've changed it on my Xbox - I'm now waiting for my Lumia 920 to come through the post, I'm getting a replacement after my hard-reset bricked it.

I'm worried that this won't work and I'll set up with the new address on my phone, I won't be able to redownload my apps for free, I'll have to hard reset again, and knowing my luck I'll get the spinning gears again.

So can anyone confirm that what I am going to do will work? Or is there a better way?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb