Verizon throttling high bandwidth users?

GBR2184

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been taking advantage of the new wireless tethering on my HTC trophy to watch netflix on my laptop while at my gf's house since she does not have internet service. It worked Fantastically until the other day. I noticed a large increase in the number of times a movie or show will stop to buffer after i broke the 5GB data usage barrier the other day. It doesn't seem to be affected by network saturation since the most severe time i had an issue was when trying to watch breaking bad at 1:30AM the other day. It would buffer for over 5 minutes, then play for 10-15, then buffer again for another 5-10 minutes.

are there any good speed test apps available i can use to confirm my suspicions? If so, i'll update with my findings.

I am on a 3G unlimited data plan and have applied the "dun." workaround posted in the trophy forums. I also tried to switch my default m.IP settings to my mothers phone number who has a droid2 to see if that would make a difference.

Anyone else notice network slowdowns when using large amounts of data now with tethering?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Verizon throttles 3G but not 4G. I pretty routinely use 15-20gb of 4G data a month and it's not a problem. 3G is another story.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Verizon throttles 3G but not 4G. I pretty routinely use 15-20gb of 4G data a month and it's not a problem. 3G is another story.

Makes sense since because their LTE network still has a lot of extra capacity compared to their 3G network, which is slowing down in some places.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Makes sense since because their LTE network still has a lot of extra capacity compared to their 3G network, which is slowing down in some places.

Which is mainly because they along with sprint have chosen the inferior EvDO rev.A for their 3G and refuse to upgrade it to EvDO rev.B. Both Verizon and sprint 3G deliver less than impressive 3G speeds at my house 650k vs 320k which pales in comparison to the 2.2M I consistently log on my T-mobile HD7. This is all with 1-2 bars of signal strength on each carrier.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Which is mainly because they along with sprint have chosen the inferior EvDO rev.A for their 3G and refuse to upgrade it to EvDO rev.B. Both Verizon and sprint 3G deliver less than impressive 3G speeds at my house 650k vs 320k which pales in comparison to the 2.2M I consistently log on my T-mobile HD7. This is all with 1-2 bars of signal strength on each carrier.

Well they're probably thinking it's not a worthwhile upgrade because the money would probably be better spent on LTE (or they could just not do anything, claim more profit, and push LTE to get traffic off 3G). Didn't Verizon say they weren't going to release any new non-LTE phones? LTE is the future.

Anyway, EVDO's poor speeds don't really affect me, I'm on Straight Talk (AT&T). HSPA ftw!

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

It's also my understanding that LTE is much cheaper per GB than 3G. Which is of course why they went to more expensive data packs. Ugh.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well they're probably thinking it's not a worthwhile upgrade because the money would probably be better spent on LTE (or they could just not do anything, claim more profit, and push LTE to get traffic off 3G). Didn't Verizon say they weren't going to release any new non-LTE phones? LTE is the future.

Anyway, EVDO's poor speeds don't really affect me, I'm on Straight Talk (AT&T). HSPA ftw!

They don't affect me either but still they should've rolled it out as a fallback like how HSPA(+) is to AT&T and soon T-mobile.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon does network optimization, which is their fancy term for throttling. Mainly if you are using very large amounts of data relative to others on a tower they throttle you. As far as Verizon 3G I have no problems streaming music and watching YouTube, but I admit it isn't as fast as t-mobile and AT&T.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)