The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-14-2012 09:35 AM
65 123
tools
    Initially my main attraction to WP7 was the smoothness, responsiveness, and stability compared to Android. I could over look many features/functionality that WP didn't have compared to Android just because I wasn't spending my evenings flashing new ROMs to my phone and I assumed the features will come out over time as they play catch up.

However, as pointed out in recent polls and some of my responses, there are still a lot of "gaps" with WP8 (which is understandable since they essently hit the reset button again). Couple that with my co-workers' Galaxy S IIIs that seem to be very smooth and stable. They still tend to do a bit of memory micro management, but that just might be out of habit for them.

Since the WP8 leaks, I've been focused on what WP doesn't have/support. So my question is, what are the main advantages WP8 has over Android 4.1?

Edit: whoops, guess this should have probably been posted to the WP8 section....
    Last edited by xmind; 08-10-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    08-10-2012 11:54 AM
    -Don't need an app for most things
    -Free office
    -OnDemand music right from the music player
    -flawless interaction with Xbox ,and win8 tablets and PCs
    -Better performance on same hardware
    -No need to install custom roms to get rid of carrier/OEM added garbage.
    -No need to spend hours getting everything just right.

I could go on and on.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
    08-10-2012 11:59 AM
    Here's what I like better about WP7 than my android running 4.03: keyboard, lockscreen calendar notifications, lockscreen controls for third party music players like slacker and fluidity of the operating system. Of those the fluidity is the one that least concerns me. Other than the items I listed I feel android is on par or better than WP at this time (high end androids, not the cheap ones). I most likely will end up with with WP8 device, but Android is quite tempting.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
    foosball likes this.
    08-10-2012 03:24 PM
    It will be interesting to see once WP8 is released because as it stands today, the core OS for WP8 is more compelling but the sheer functionality of Android is untouched by any other OS.
    scottcraft likes this.
    08-10-2012 04:48 PM
    I have the galaxy s3 and its a great device. Smooth lag free and fast, but you just can't beat the beauty and social integration wp8 is going to have. I like android and will keep my s3 but will purchase a wp8 phone as soon as they are out. Every OS has strength and weaknesses you just have to find what suits you better
    scottcraft likes this.
    08-10-2012 07:41 PM
    Not having to be part of Google's ecosystem. Oh, and being a part of Microsoft's ecosystem, lock, stock and barrel. Good enough reason for me. A phone is a phone after all. They all work, or at least should.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    08-10-2012 07:47 PM
    Simplicity. :)
    andrewkim789, Xsever and X0LARIUM like this.
    08-11-2012 09:59 AM
    -Don't need an app for most things
    -Free office
    -OnDemand music right from the music player
    -flawless interaction with Xbox ,and win8 tablets and PCs
    -Better performance on same hardware
    -No need to install custom roms to get rid of carrier/OEM added garbage.
    -No need to spend hours getting everything just right.

I could go on and on.
    With ice cream sandwich any app can be disabled so it doesn't show up in the app drawer anymore, so carrier added stuff isn't an issue anymore, at least on phones fortunate enough to be on ice cream sandwich.
    08-11-2012 10:31 AM
    With ice cream sandwich any app can be disabled so it doesn't show up in the app drawer anymore, so carrier added stuff isn't an issue anymore, at least on phones fortunate enough to be on ice cream sandwich.
    But it's still on there, taking up space...
    08-11-2012 11:05 AM
    But it's still on there, taking up space...
    True, they do take up space, but on most phones that's a negligible amount compared to the storage available.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
    08-11-2012 11:18 AM
    BB does this too and I always thought it was really dumb. When I want something gone, I want it GONE.
    08-11-2012 04:44 PM
    love my galaxy nexus with jellybean :)

Immediate updates, no bloat, and blazingly fast!
    08-12-2012 05:52 PM
    love my galaxy nexus with jellybean :)

Immediate updates, no bloat, and blazingly fast!
    ok so.....
    08-12-2012 07:11 PM
    I just hated those rogue programs running in the back ground draining battery life. I'm sure they are doing a better job of it now.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
    08-12-2012 07:51 PM
    I just hated those rogue programs running in the back ground draining battery life. I'm sure they are doing a better job of it now.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
    I get way better battery life than I did on either of my wp7 phones
    08-12-2012 08:39 PM
    To be honest I think it's too early to compare WP8 to android because we don't know everything that WP8 is going to have yet. Anyone that is happy with WP7/7.5 will probably be very pleased with WP8.
    08-12-2012 09:58 PM
    I get way better battery life than I did on either of my wp7 phones
    That's because of the larger battery capacity, has nothing to do with Android being better battery optimized than WP. You can almost bet that if WP phones had comparable battery sizes it would outlast any Android.
    08-12-2012 10:40 PM
    That's because of the larger battery capacity, has nothing to do with Android being better battery optimized than WP. You can almost bet that if WP phones had comparable battery sizes it would outlast any Android.
    That's a myth that the WP fanboys would love to believe, but is simply not true. Anandtech does some pretty great battery tests and the Lumia 900 (which is the de facto WP flagship) comes out consistently at the bottom. You can check the charts for example here:

AnandTech - HTC One S Review - Battery Life

And no, it's not because of the larger battery capacity. The Nexus has the same battery capacity as the Lumia 900.
    08-13-2012 04:31 AM
    That's a myth that the WP fanboys would love to believe, but is simply not true. Anandtech does some pretty great battery tests and the Lumia 900 (which is the de facto WP flagship) comes out consistently at the bottom. You can check the charts for example here:

AnandTech - HTC One S Review - Battery Life

And no, cause of the larger battery capacity. The Nexus has the same battery capacity as the Lumia 900.
    dude why the **** are you here?
    Last edited by 12Danny123; 08-13-2012 at 05:24 AM.
    eric12341 likes this.
    08-13-2012 04:34 AM
    dude why the **** are you here?
    To participate in the discussion with real facts and opinions that are based on the reality of things.

And to correct all the nonsense you guys keep making up. I wouldn't have to do that if you weren't posting stuff that is simply not true or offensive to other members of this community.
    scottcraft, fisci and mb-dape like this.
    08-13-2012 06:49 AM
    I was curious about the battery life that has been mentioned in this thread, so I looked up some phones on AT&T's website for some info and here's what I found:

HTC One X: 1800 mAH, 8.5 hours talk time, 12.6 days standby
    Samsung GS3: 2100 mAH, 8 hours talk time, 8.3 days standby
    Nokia Lumia 900: 1830 mAH, 7 hours talk time, 12.5 days standby
    HTC Titan 2: 1730 mAH, 4.3 hours talk time, 12.2 days standby

Non-LTE:

Samsung Focus S: 1650 mAH, 6.5 hours talk time, 10 days standby
    Samsung GS2: 1650 mAH, 8 hours talk time, 16 days standby

Other than the Galaxy S3 and the Titan 2 the battery sizes are comparable and it seems the androids do just as good or better in rated battery life. I'm sure the study from Anandtech is even more accurate though.

I know I've never experienced good battery life in a smartphone. My motorola droid was horrible and my Trophy isn't really any better. The Rezound I have does ok, but I've got an extended battery on it.
    08-13-2012 08:17 AM
    I'm speaking from my experience with the phones I HAVE OWNED and my WP7.5 phones always outlasted my last few androids. I have heard that the latest iteration of android devices have significantly improved this battery life thing. It's about time they got it kinda right. With my Rezound I was couldn't make it through my workday without either having to recharge it or using my extended battery. With my Lumia and my Titan 2, I can make it to the night without wifi. And this was with texting, surfing the web, stream a few minutes worth of videos while on a train.

But yes, I've heard the GS3 and the One X has finally made some improvements. Bravo.
    And this is just an opinion of mine based on my last 5 android devices....you know you have to reboot at least once a week. Don't lie to yourself. Come out of the closet and admit it. lol. Some Android reboot more than others, but I know an android has to reboot at least once a week. YOU AIN'T GOTTA LIE CRAIG!!!! HAHA! My WP device has to reboot..well....almost never. at the same time, my WP phone can't do what some androids do, so there's the tradeoff.
    eric12341 and andrewkim789 like this.
    08-13-2012 08:37 AM
    LOL! I always like the standby times they quote. Of course they don't tell you it has to be in Airplane Mode to get that amount of standby time. :D
    Last edited by palandri; 08-13-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    andrewkim789 likes this.
    08-13-2012 08:43 AM
    I was curious about the battery life that has been mentioned in this thread, so I looked up some phones on AT&T's website for some info and here's what I found:

HTC One X: 1800 mAH, 8.5 hours talk time, 12.6 days standby

Samsung GS3: 2100 mAH, 8 hours talk time, 8.3 days standby

Nokia Lumia 900: 1830 mAH, 7 hours talk time, 12.5 days standby

HTC Titan 2: 1730 mAH, 4.3 hours talk time, 12.2 days standby

Non-LTE:

Samsung Focus S: 1650 mAH, 6.5 hours talk time, 10 days standby

Samsung GS2: 1650 mAH, 8 hours talk time, 16 days standby

Other than the Galaxy S3 and the Titan 2 the battery sizes are comparable and it seems the androids do just as good or better in rated battery life. I'm sure the study from Anandtech is even more accurate though.

I know I've never experienced good battery life in a smartphone. My motorola droid was horrible and my Trophy isn't really any better. The Rezound I have does ok, but I've got an extended battery on it.
    Not to get too far off subject, but you can see by the above ratings that whatever testing method is being used, it is terribly inconsistent. Larger batteries with lower ratings and vice-versa. Remember, these are talk time tests, with 0 third party interaction. So while these numbers are a somewhat vague guide, they don't paint a very clear picture.

As an FYI, with my last three phones, I have found uptime (using data/wi-fi with the screen on) to be about 10-15% better than rated talk time. That number can also vary though, based on the background features a user has activated. So everyone's experience will be different.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    08-13-2012 08:59 AM
    Nice thread. We can do away with the sarcasm and verbal abuses though...

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    08-13-2012 09:07 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD