Stop whining i owned the Arrive and the Lumia 900

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I came from a Nokia E51i then a Windows Mobile Tmo Dash 3g. I had no expectations when I got my Lumia 710. I'm disappointed that MS is not updating my phone to W8, but I am content with 7.8. I am not whining is all I'm saying.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I came from a Nokia E51i then a Windows Mobile Tmo Dash 3g. I had no expectations when I got my Lumia 710. I'm disappointed that MS is not updating my phone to W8, but I am content with 7.8. I am not whining is all I'm saying.

You're not whining. That's a fair statement.

You have obviously been around mobile phones for a while. Back in the day, if you got upgraded from Windows 6.0 to 6.1, it was a big bonus :D

I was a Palm guy for a long time. My last Palm phone was a Palm Treo Pro. It came with Windows 6.1. i was hoping it would be upgraded to Windows 6.5. It didn't get upgraded to Windows 6.5, but 6.1 worked fine for a couple of years with a couple of Palm patches.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Here is a jimski prediction: Within 10 days (or sooner) of the launch of the first WP8 device someone at XDA will have a WP8 ROM ready to go. HD7 wil be the first device to get it. Probably no love for most Lumias (Nokia did a good job of locking them down), but some Gen1 devices will have a new life. There will of course be bugs, but the phones will otherwise run fine.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Here is a jimski prediction: Within 10 days (or sooner) of the launch of the first WP8 device someone at XDA will have a WP8 ROM ready to go. HD7 wil be the first device to get it. Probably no love for most Lumias (Nokia did a good job of locking them down), but some Gen1 devices will have a new life. There will of course be bugs, but the phones will otherwise run fine.

LOL! We have both been around mobile phones long enough to know that's a very safe prediction. :D We both know it will happen. :cool:

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
the generalization that all wp8 apps won't work for legacy devices is false

That is 100% accurate.

I'm sorry to crush your dreams, but this will not happen. You are talking about putting a new OS on a completely different hardware. This is not Android, we do not have the source code to modify it to make it work.

Or let me put it differently to you: Have you seen the WP7 OS ported to any other phones?* No, for exactly the same reason why you will not see WP8 on any legacy devices.

* The HD2 being the exception here, but that's because it runs on pretty much the same hardware as the WP7 devices.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The people that recently purchased a WP7 device come in two camps imho:

1) They walked in blind into a carrier store; saw a wp7 device, thought it was cool and got one.

2)Are tech savy, did their due diligence knowing that WP8 would not be available for their phone and went ahead anyway.

The first camp are interested in what their phone can do now and are oblivious or don't give a flip about future proofing.

The second camp realized their phone would not be supported by 8 in the future and came to the conclusion if they wanted 8, they'd have to get a new device.

I went into the Lumia 800 eyes wide open. If I want a WP8 phone I'll have to repurchase a device. Big deal. It's like buying an iPhone 4 two weeks before Siri and the 4S was released. Where are these poor folks' advocates? Big bad ol' Apple.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
That is 100% accurate.

From what I understand it is accurate too, but I don't think any of us really know at this point for sure. Seems like I remember from the keynote that apps for WP7/7.5 will run on WP8 but apps designed for WP8 will not run on WP7/7.5. Guess we will know for sure sometime next month. The real question is how long it will be before apps are designed strictly for WP8 since it will be some time before there are a decent number of those devices in wild.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
That is 100% accurate.

I'm sorry to crush your dreams, but this will not happen. You are talking about putting a new OS on a completely different hardware. This is not Android, we do not have the source code to modify it to make it work.

Or let me put it differently to you: Have you seen the WP7 OS ported to any other phones?* No, for exactly the same reason why you will not see WP8 on any legacy devices.

* The HD2 being the exception here, but that's because it runs on pretty much the same hardware as the WP7 devices.

Toshiba TG01.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

1) They walked in blind into a carrier store; saw a wp7 device, thought it was cool and got one.

2)Are tech savy, did their due diligence knowing that WP8 would not be available for their phone and went ahead anyway.

The first camp are interested in what their phone can do now and are oblivious or don't give a flip about future proofing.

The second camp realized their phone would not be supported by 8 in the future and came to the conclusion if they wanted 8, they'd have to get a new device.

I went into the Lumia 800 eyes wide open. If I want a WP8 phone I'll have to repurchase a device. Big deal. It's like buying an iPhone 4 two weeks before Siri and the 4S was released. Where are these poor folks' advocates? Big bad ol' Apple.

Not the same. It is Siri, Apps, Features - everything.

Everyone wants to compare this to iPhone4 and iPhone4S but no one wants to consider the fact that all those 600,000 apps can run on both devices. Only Siri wasn't.

Same way I think half the camp will be happy to not have NFC based features and upgraded TellMe that buys us tissue rolls the minute before we finish our last one, but still runs all the 100,000 apps.

It is different. Accept it.
It isn't end of the world, I've accepted that.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
That is 100% accurate.

wow good catch on the HD2 I was going to call you on that one. I thin you guys will be surprised to see what these WP hackers can do. I would bet you will see WP8 hacked to the L900 and maybe even the T2. Its way to rely to make any calls on that.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
little off topic!

FYI:

HTC always gets first ROM cause XDA developers where mostly HTC fanboys and or worked for HTC/MS when they first created it. ( back int he WM dayz )

they started porting Android to WM ( on HTCs ) when android came out, then switch to Android ROMs when Android became the hackers Choise ( open source) and now we are starting to slowly see WP ( HTC ) gettign ROMS again!

HTC are like the FLAG Ships for custom ROMs at XDA devs, and HTCs where the first Real good SMARTPHONES before Iphone came allong , not that Nokia and samsung dont get love , just allot LESS!!!

+ they have a samsung dedicated ROM website as well. forgot what its called doh.

WP7 works on same kernal as WM6.5 and WM 6.5 ROMS can be found for allot of android phones , no reason why we cant Port WP7 to Android or Android to WP7 phones deppending on the securaty level you need to *break* to make proper changes. ( might not work on duel-core phones doh )

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Not the same. It is Siri, Apps, Features - everything.

Everyone wants to compare this to iPhone4 and iPhone4S but no one wants to consider the fact that all those 600,000 apps can run on both devices. Only Siri wasn't.

Same way I think half the camp will be happy to not have NFC based features and upgraded TellMe that buys us tissue rolls the minute before we finish our last one, but still runs all the 100,000 apps.

It is different. Accept it.
It isn't end of the world, I've accepted that.
Yabut. Siri was the app of the 4S. All advertisements centre around it. I don't know if there was anger from 4 users or not, but I do know that on release day, many people in line were ready to toss their 4 in the can to get ahold of all that siri goodness. The reason siri isn't supported on the 4 is because the 4 has a single core processor and the 4S has a dual core. That sounds familiar.

The only thing different about it is iPhone users think that Apple farts rainbows. And WP7 users are ready to burn Balmer in effigy.

iOS upgrades are more like updates - the core remains the same. If Apple ever decided to radically change their o/s, they'll be leaving users on the curb as well.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yabut. Siri was the app of the 4S. All advertisements centre around it. I don't know if there was anger from 4 users or not, but I do know that on release day, many people in line were ready to toss their 4 in the can to get ahold of all that siri goodness. The reason siri isn't supported on the 4 is because the 4 has a single core processor and the 4S has a dual core. That sounds familiar.

The only thing different about it is iPhone users think that Apple farts rainbows. And WP7 users are ready to burn Balmer in effigy.

iOS upgrades are more like updates - the core remains the same. If Apple ever decided to radically change their o/s, they'll be leaving users on the curb as well.

You cannot be serious about that. Siri, isn't an app. It is like saying TellMe is an app. It is a feature. A stand out feature for iPhone as a fact. With Windows Phone 8 hardware (cores) aren't an issue at all. It is very well established fact and confirmed by MSFT that there is no hardware issues stopping us from getting WP8 for current users. Of course not core related. Understandably, no NFC and no high res. support. But since it wasn't a financial gain to have people on WP7 longer after WP8 launch, it wasn't ported. To me as a business it totally makes sense.

But going back to iPhone again, the way you concluded your post isn't the way to swing this either. May be Apple will screw the customers over, may be apple will burn their favourite sports jersey by a new app, may be apple will ruin their morning cereals using new self destructive iPhone cases. But the point is - that is the exact reason why none of us here are with apple. The exact reason why we love WP. If MSFT wants to be Apple, don't you think it will be hypocrisy at its best?

I really dream of a day when we don't have to say "Even Apple will do this or Even Android has that" -because we shouldn't be doing the mistakes they do (right MSFT?)
But this is just my perspective at things. No matter what I write, we all know I will have a WP8 device this Christmas.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
little off topic!

FYI:

HTC always gets first ROM cause XDA developers where mostly HTC fanboys and or worked for HTC/MS when they first created it. ( back int he WM dayz )

they started porting Android to WM ( on HTCs ) when android came out, then switch to Android ROMs when Android became the hackers Choise ( open source) and now we are starting to slowly see WP ( HTC ) gettign ROMS again!

HTC are like the FLAG Ships for custom ROMs at XDA devs, and HTCs where the first Real good SMARTPHONES before Iphone came allong , not that Nokia and samsung dont get love , just allot LESS!!!

+ they have a samsung dedicated ROM website as well. forgot what its called doh.

WP7 works on same kernal as WM6.5 and WM 6.5 ROMS can be found for allot of android phones , no reason why we cant Port WP7 to Android or Android to WP7 phones deppending on the securaty level you need to *break* to make proper changes. ( might not work on duel-core phones doh )

Yes, that may be true, and yes, I have a HTC TITAN myself. But here's the thing, how many people are gonna go through and crack open their WP7 device to get WP8? I may be tech-savvy, but I'm not very competent about hacking WP8 onto my phone. Heck, my Android tab is still unrooted even though I was considering rooting it.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

WP7 is the first modern smartphone OS where users purchased a new phone and were expected to accept the fact that they wouldn't even get one major OS upgrade (i.e. Mango Devices).

That's a pretty big deal.

The iPhone 4 didn't get Siri, but it still got a major iOS5 update and will get a major iOS 6 update. The 3GS couldn't take all of iOS5, but it's like 3 years old now and still got a pretty major update, and will probably get an iOS6 update.

There's no comparison between the two, really.

For Android devices just on AT&T Nitro HD, GS2 Exynos, Skyrocket, and Vivid have all recieved ICS now, with Motorola Atrix 2 and others coming in the future. The Lumia 900 will get less than half of WP8. It won't even get a major browser update. That's pretty shameful, IMO, especially for a flagship device here.

What makes it worse is the fact that WP7 does not have the type of Modding community that Android has, and the nature of the OS makes it much more difficult to backport newer OS releases to older devices. You don't have stuff like CM with OTA updates on WP7 devices.

Also, for #1 you're absolutely wrong. When the average consumer has the hype thrown into their faces, they wake up and start wondering if they'll get it on their phone, which is likely less than 6 months old on a 2 year contract. The same way average consumer Apple/Android users who start hearing about the new shiny OS update coming out start wondering if they'll get it. There's a reason why Apple backports back so far. The WP7.8 update will be less significant than the Mango update. It's a laughable proposition. When you're stuck on a (relatively fresh) smartphone contract the next best thing to getting a new phone (which is horribly expensive off-contract) is getting a major OS update. WP7.8 is not that, no matter how hard you guys try to make it seem that way. It's less major than Mango was, and even that was less significant than version upgrades on iOS and Android.

Microsoft should have up-specced those devices to future proof them, like tons of us were saying here and elsewhere, to avoid this. They caused this issue themselves.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Finally a good post from N8ter. Microsoft has been making history for four decades.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
That is 100% accurate.

So you're not going to acknowledge the fact that if the developer decides to make their WP8 app compatible for WP7 it'll work? That they have that option? And not mention that there is a 0 customer base for WP8 and that it is a high possibility that the majority of apps will be available to both OS'? Oh ok

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss