Stop whining i owned the Arrive and the Lumia 900

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So you're not going to acknowledge the fact that if the developer decides to make their WP8 app compatible for WP7 it'll work? That they have that option? And not mention that there is a 0 customer base for WP8 and that it is a high possibility that the majority of apps will be available to both OS'? Oh ok

I said WP8 apps, not WP7 apps. Those will work on both, of course. I think we just misunderstood each other there.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Or have a tribunal among moderators to have the thread voted closed or something. But don't that have something like that? Lol.

georgetakailaughsatyou.gif

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You're not whining. That's a fair statement.

You have obviously been around mobile phones for a while. Back in the day, if you got upgraded from Windows 6.0 to 6.1, it was a big bonus :D

I was a Palm guy for a long time. My last Palm phone was a Palm Treo Pro. It came with Windows 6.1. i was hoping it would be upgraded to Windows 6.5. It didn't get upgraded to Windows 6.5, but 6.1 worked fine for a couple of years with a couple of Palm patches.

I was a lucky one then to get WM6.5. I wasn't disappointed when WM was left behind by WP. Cause I kinda knew it was an entirely new OP. I was a little peeved when WP8 can't get into WP7 phones since they both looked the same. But, I can live with my 7.8 and I don't need the latest upgrades that often as my long history with cell phones show.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Also, for #1 you're absolutely wrong. When the average consumer has the hype thrown into their faces, they wake up and start wondering if they'll get it on their phone, which is likely less than 6 months old on a 2 year contract. The same way average consumer Apple/Android users who start hearing about the new shiny OS update coming out start wondering if they'll get it. There's a reason why Apple backports back so far. The WP7.8 update will be less significant than the Mango update. It's a laughable proposition. When you're stuck on a (relatively fresh) smartphone contract the next best thing to getting a new phone (which is horribly expensive off-contract) is getting a major OS update. WP7.8 is not that, no matter how hard you guys try to make it seem that way. It's less major than Mango was, and even that was less significant than version upgrades on iOS and Android.

Microsoft should have up-specced those devices to future proof them, like tons of us were saying here and elsewhere, to avoid this. They caused this issue themselves.

:lol:What hype has Microsoft invaded the masses with in regards to their phone? You must be privy to some WP7 blitz that I wasn't. You also must be privy insider to info as to what (or what not) the 7.8 will be included, because all I've heard is in regards to the home screen. What uber cool features are included in iOS 6? The spinning wheel is finally optimized for Retina screens? Or maybe the cool new stocks and clocks? The only ground breaking feature I can see is the do not disturb text feature. That one is very nice.

I thought tethering I got from my Tango update was pretty significant. But it's not as cool as the spinning wheel.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I read through the posts and noticed a couple of things

1) Everything that has been stated so far has made it clear that WP8 apps will not run on WP7.5 devices. Developers of course could try and port it back but its not going to be something simple to do or even really worth it. WP8 SDK's use C#/C++/VB native code while WP7.5 uses Silverlight, XNA and Javascript. Which supposedly has been a big reason why some apps have not been "ported" to WP7 because they would need to re-write it. Now they could potentially do this in WP8 so I would expect a large influx of apps and new quality to some existing apps as developers can use a lot of the same code. I am not a developer though so I could be totally wrong but this is what I have gathered so far from the developers whom I have heard/read about.

2) The iPhone 3GS is getting iOS 6, like none of the features but its getting the OS which means it can run apps that will only run in iOS6 (Anyone who has an old iPod Touch can probably attest to the fact that eventually [some] developers apps can't be installed on older iOS's)

3) The big Wildcard IMO in this whole thing is the Windows 8 platforms success. There is a lot of benefit to a developer to make WP8 and W8 specific apps. You finally get in-app purchases (Which honestly probably has no excuse for being WP8 only and shame on MS for making it so) and apps will be easily ported between WP8 and W8 IMO making developers more likely to quickly adapt it as a platform. Faster than say Android developers moving from 2.0 to like 4.0 the huge use base also helps. I personally think WP7 will be abandoned by developers rather quickly which is IMO what makes this whole thing suck even more for the loyal WP7.5 users.

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Not going to get into a platform war here, but where are you going to go? Every platform has its quirks. If you keep bouncing around you may find yourself going in circles. Too much work for me.

Long ago I settled on a platform/ecosystem that I could trust and offered me choices/options. A platform is bigger than any one product and one needs to see the big picture. By being monogamous, might I be missing out on some of the features other platforms/ecosystems offer? Maybe. But it has sure made life simpler.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Jimski here hit the nail on the head they way I feel about the different platforms. They all have different things to offer. At some point, taking all the good and bad into account and figuring just what overall is best for you, I think you have to decide on one and stick with it. I've going through the "trial period" right now with the different platforms. I used a Trophy for about a year and really like WP. There's things I like about it, and things that I see they are short coming on. I decided recently to take a few months off from WP and try out Android to see first hand what some things it has. I got a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon (been a Verizon user for some time). Had it a little less than a month and see things I like and things I don't. My wife and oldest son on set on they're going to get the new IPhone when it comes out later this year, so I get a change to experiment and play with it for awhile when they get theirs. In the mean time I'll give the NExus a good run, play with the family's new Iphones when they're out and wait and see how things develope on Veriizon with WP8. Eventually try and make my own best educated summation of what platform offers the most and then go with it. Fortuanatly for me, I'm not deeply rooted yet into one ecosystem such it makes it hard to change around right no, but I want to get to the point that I don't feel I need to be jumping around between them and can get decided which one good and bad features accepted as a whole, will long term suit me best.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
@RocDel: A good approach for sure. But make sure you consider an entire ecosystem (pc, phone, gaming, etc.) before settling on a choice. Which platform is going to give you seamless connectivity between work and personal (at arms distance-I like to keep the two somewhat separate) data? Which platform will best support your personal & work email requirements? How about needed and required programs and applications? Cloud storage? Video and music acquisition and accessibility? Connectivity to all of your immediate family (wife-kid(s))? All important questions.

Many people will buy into an ecosystem on a whim, and then have hard decisions to make a few years down the road when they run into roadblocks on compatibility and connectivity. You can't anticipate everything, but some upfront thought helps. Enjoy your adventure.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow this thread has turned in to quite the discussion I'm glad I left it opened. Its too bad the OP doesn't want to participate.

I don't know how much lurking the OP did before making his post but 1 post and he's gone. Just look at how the natives respond. lol.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
:lol:What hype has Microsoft invaded the masses with in regards to their phone? You must be privy to some WP7 blitz that I wasn't. You also must be privy insider to info as to what (or what not) the 7.8 will be included, because all I've heard is in regards to the home screen. What uber cool features are included in iOS 6? The spinning wheel is finally optimized for Retina screens? Or maybe the cool new stocks and clocks? The only ground breaking feature I can see is the do not disturb text feature. That one is very nice.

I thought tethering I got from my Tango update was pretty significant. But it's not as cool as the spinning wheel.

Tethering came with Mango, not Tango.

So no, the only thing significant about that is how long you had to wait to get something the rest of us were using almost a year ago.

As far as iOS 6 we also have to wait to see what the i5 looks like, since their hardware is coupled with the software. In any case, it's a perfectly usable system, the only thing that sucks about it is Facetime being limited to WiFi but carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile have equalized that by locking Google Talk down to WiFi. I suspect they'll do the same with Skype and things like that baked into WP8 on release.

Nokia has a site up that gives what of the many major features are coming to 7.8, and many of them are barely mentionable. Most of the bullet points are nokia apps you can download on any mango phone now (except the couple beta ones coming soon).

Coach David

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 900, will 7.8 allow gps navigation when the screen is off or..

I keep being told Nokia will continue to support my new Lumia 900, with 19 months left on the contract.

I get the phone as I am a developer and wanted a future proof phone....

Ok now it is useless, but I still have the phone, so

Does anyone know if the 7.8 update will include GPS navigation while the phone is off? and does anyone know if apps will continue to start over when launched from a live tile or start screen?

If the answer is no, I will more than likely abandon ship.

Oh I am not interested in discussing why I should like Microsoft and Nokia. I purchased the phone. The question is more of how much to they value me as a consumer. So now I am just trying to salvage what little respect I have left for them.

Please point me to any rumors.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
How would _any_ phone be able to continue running apps when turned off? If you refer to being away from the app, this will most likely not change in WP7.8 as it would require a rewrite of the kernel. Apps either start from the point where they got suspended when re-activated from the task screen or start fresh when started again from the start screen. To be honest to me that is perfectly logical and rumours this will change in WP8 are not good to hear IMO. Claiming to be a developer and then posing uninformed end-user questions does not bode well for your credibility here. Installing the SDK and creating a 'hello world' type app does not make you a developer.

Furthermore how is the 900 useless now? Does it stop making calls, do apps no longer works, are you unable to create apps for it? Nokia have announced they are committed to actively supporting their WP7.x devices and have stated they will bring much of the WP8 experience from their part to these devices.

As a developer you should know that any app you create for WP7.x will work on Windows Phone 8 devices. To optimize your app for WP8 you will not have to do anything but run it through the MS offered cloud based service without any cost to you.

To conclude you sound more like a troll then a developer to me. Maybe it's time you inform yourself before you open you mouth.

Coach David

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
How would _any_ phone be able to continue running apps when turned off? If you refer to being away from the app, this will most likely not change in WP7.8 as it would require a rewrite of the kernel. Apps either start from the point where they got suspended when re-activated from the task screen or start fresh when started again from the start screen. To be honest to me that is perfectly logical and rumours this will change in WP8 are not good to hear IMO. Claiming to be a developer and then posing uninformed end-user questions does not bode well for your credibility here. Installing the SDK and creating a 'hello world' type app does not make you a developer.

Furthermore how is the 900 useless now? Does it stop making calls, do apps no longer works, are you unable to create apps for it? Nokia have announced they are committed to actively supporting their WP7.x devices and have stated they will bring much of the WP8 experience from their part to these devices.

As a developer you should know that any app you create for WP7.x will work on Windows Phone 8 devices. To optimize your app for WP8 you will not have to do anything but run it through the MS offered cloud based service without any cost to you.

To conclude you sound more like a troll then a developer to me. Maybe it's time you inform yourself before you open you mouth.
Really. Do you feel better now? I ask a question and I get an answer from someone who thinks its normal to not be able to get voice turn direction while the phone is off.

Troll...isnt that what you are doing? I am the one stuck on at&t, not you.

Motorolla is offering customers an olive branch if they cant upgrade the os. These phone are allot older than five months.

You also forget that Microsoft and Nokia knew my phone was a dead end. But I get a commercial stating the beta test was over.

I am a working class stiff who values his money. I dont work for Microsoft, Apple, Google, or Nokia. I am a developer who write consumer facing and in some cases installed on consumer pc`s. I know what my bosses do every quarter and that is try to figure out out to grow revenue without adding value. Things like lets charge for a feature which we have been providing for years. Oh the feature costs not extra, they just want more money.

Dude, I dont want to disagree with you because deep down you know what Nokia and Microsoft did was dirty.

I am just hoping I can continue to use my phone until the contract ends.

I want Microsoft to succeed. Visual Studio is hands down the best dev enviroment arround. Blend is nice for what it does but when it comes to me being productive and maintaining over a hundred thousand lines of code. They rock.

Oh the SDK for 8 is not available.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes go to blackberry. They are going to screw over their people again with bb10 just like they did with the os 7 update and leave legacy owners in the dust

You can buy an android and hope your device gets pulled out of the hat by random selection for the next update.

Or sit it out with iPhone where you can have updates for two years with the new iPhone, but have to buy new accessories cause they don't fit your phone anymore. That nifty dock clock you got will be useless with the 5

Or get a webos device. Oh wait....

So tired of this s***. Like this deserved a single thread on it's own

How I wish smartphones worked more like PC's but technology moves so fast. Out of all those problems the iphone is the best bet. Unless you prefer a bigger screen or an SD slot, or a different form factor =/. You take the good with the bad.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I keep being told Nokia will continue to support my new Lumia 900, with 19 months left on the contract.

I get the phone as I am a developer and wanted a future proof phone....

Ok now it is useless, but I still have the phone, so

Does anyone know if the 7.8 update will include GPS navigation while the phone is off? and does anyone know if apps will continue to start over when launched from a live tile or start screen?

If the answer is no, I will more than likely abandon ship.

Oh I am not interested in discussing why I should like Microsoft and Nokia. I purchased the phone. The question is more of how much to they value me as a consumer. So now I am just trying to salvage what little respect I have left for them.

Please point me to any rumors.

If you mean GPS navigation while the device is turned off, that's impossible. If you mean while you have data off/no signal, the L900 already does it on Mango OS. If you mean when you've closed the app, it has already been reported that GPS and VoIP apps will run in the background for WP8, but I wouldn't hold my breathe for it on 7.8. No rumors, just fact. Any other questions?

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Really. Do you feel better now?

I feel fine, thank you.

Please enlighten us how you would expect a phone to continue to provide voice turn direction when off. I would be interested to know which phone is able to do that.

Also you say you are a developer and got the phone because of that. In the context of these forums that would imply you are a WP developer in which case you would be aware (or should at least) of where WP7.5 is going and how to develop for either platform (7.x or 8).

While WP7.x devices will not be able to run WP8 (apps) that does not equal being dead end. At least as far as Lumia devices are concerned development and support is ongoing with most of the WP8 enhancements from Nokia coming to WP7.x devices as well.

Did either Nokia or MSFT ever make a promise to upgrade your Lumia 900 to WP8? Does it need to in order to keep working? How is what they did dirty? Apple is working on iOS7 while shipping iOS6. They sold iPhone 3GS a week before they dumped it (literally, as in no updates and no longer available). Any fashion house is selling clothing while they have their next collection lined up. How' s this different. Next year there will be new phones with larger camera sensors, you won't be able to upgrade. We'll see Quad core CPU phones next year with WP8, you won't be able to upgrade.

WP7.x devices will get an update with a number of WP8 features which can be run on the hardware. Nokia is still actively supporting and developing for the WP7.5 devices. WP8 will get better, sleeker and more advanced app, yes. But WP7.x is not dead for some time to come. I doubt WP developers will drop the large WP7.x user base the minute WP8 is available, they'd be robbing themselves of a big chunk of income.

And what does the W8 SDK have to do with anything here? I still have no idea what it is exactly you are ranting about..

Last edited:

SillyBirds

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I remember I was kinda dissapointed back when they announced that 7.5 would get 7.8 but not 8. But then later, they showed the Lumia 920!

So now it's ok with me, as I'll prolly get it in a few months (it's still expensive) or if my carrier starts proposing it.

I still very much like 7.x as it's another world compared to winmo.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss