I feel behind with Windows Phone

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I love my Windows Phone dearly, but sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in the past. This is because notifications on Windows Phone simply don't work. Period.

Why?

-Facebook notifications? AS IF the app can notify you properly, let alone promptly
-the Me tile is always ages behind
-the only to sync 'read' status with my Gmail email account is to do it manually
-it takes at least two or three tries to dismiss notifications from the phone app
-marketplace updates are delayed
-the Wi-Fi won't even stay on when the phone is locked, causing further delay (and no, none of the homebrewed attempts work)

Does anyone else notice this?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
We have lots of threads around discussing these issues. Some people don't research a new device before buying it and end up not liking there new device. You are welcome to search around the forums or maybe some of the members here will provide you with links to aid in your search. There are negatives to every OS you might have touched on some of WP more popular complaints in this thread. You should take a look at the stickies in the OS forum. They will be a big help to you.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I love my Windows Phone dearly, but sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in the past. This is because notifications on Windows Phone simply don't work. Period.

Why?

-Facebook notifications? AS IF the app can notify you properly, let alone promptly
-the Me tile is always ages behind
-the only to sync 'read' status with my Gmail email account is to do it manually
-it takes at least two or three tries to dismiss notifications from the phone app
-marketplace updates are delayed
-the Wi-Fi won't even stay on when the phone is locked, causing further delay (and no, none of the homebrewed attempts work)

Does anyone else notice this?

I don't particularly care for the WP notifications either. The best WP notification I like is calender notifications on the lock screen. Other than that I find android notifications are more reliable and useful. Hopefully WP8 addresses this in some manner.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
There are elements of WP that can be frustrating, for sure.

I've certainly experienced some Facebook notification flakiness, and the Me tile notifications were screwed up for what seemed like months. But that could be down to FB I guess. The length of time it has taken to resolve the Me tile notification problem seems way too long to me. It's almost as if MS's attention was elsewhere (I can't imagine what that would be!)

I don't really use Gmail, and haven't experienced any problems with updates (although I know others who have).

The WiFi thing isn't going to go away unfortunately, it's designed in.

There are times recently when I think back fondly to when I had an iPhone and tell myself that I never had problems with that. But in reality I'm sure I had just as many frustrations with my iPhone as I have with my WP, I've just forgotten about them now that my attention is with WP.

No phone OS will please everyone, they all have their quirks and annoyances. I guess you just have to pick the one that best suits your needs. Unfortunately (and this is the same for all OSs) you can't try them out for a few months before you buy into them!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
To keep WiFi on all the time:
-Download the iHeartRadio app
-Launch the app and select a station
-After 3 seconds, pause the music using the volume rocker
-Completely back out of the iHeartRadio app
-Now your WiFi will stay on as long as you stay within range of your current router

With that said, if you are relying on WiFi for connectivity on your "phone", then I think we have gotten to the root cause of your notification problem. Try turning on data.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't particularly care for the WP notifications either. The best WP notification I like is calender notifications on the lock screen. Other than that I find android notifications are more reliable and useful. Hopefully WP8 addresses this in some manner.

This is one where we disagree Scott. I like the live tile notifications its easy for me to find what's new without having to go to 2 locations on my device every time I get one. I dont use tost notification on any apps. That said I can see where if you do use toast you would like to have the ability to find out what was missed. That is the only case in which a notifications center would be useful to me.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah i love the notification on WP , all I need ,

tells me if i have a txt , e-mails , calander , missed calls on on my home screen.. easy breeze dont even need to open a *notification center* to lose an other 2min scrolling true the same thing a live tile tells you.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
This is one where we disagree Scott. I like the live tile notifications its easy for me to find what's new without having to go to 2 locations on my device every time I get one. I dont use tost notification on any apps. That said I can see where if you do use toast you would like to have the ability to find out what was missed. That is the only case in which a notifications center would be useful to me.

I like the live tiles also, but I use toasts also. I think the WP8 start screen will help out with tile notifications for me since I will be able to have four across.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
yeah i love the notification on WP , all I need ,

tells me if i have a txt , e-mails , calander , missed calls on on my home screen.. easy breeze dont even need to open a *notification center* to lose an other 2min scrolling true the same thing a live tile tells you.

Well those Live Tiles are basically Badges on a big square, which Android does - at least any skinned device (Sense 3+, TouchWiz 4+, LG UI, Motorola UI, Sony's UI all do this). That covers pretty much all major manufacturers here.

Lock Screen Notifications are done by literally all of those, as well. ICS allows you to pull down the Notification bar on a Locked screen so in addition to getting a raw count you also get context, easily, without unlocking your phone. It's much faster than opening the phone and going into an app to see exactly what that notification is about. Efficiency is key with mobile devices.

It's not just about seeing stuff, it's about efficient workflow. iOS does this as well - even better in some ways - with their lock screen notifications.

If you get a Voicemail from a Telemarketer you have to unlock your phone and go to the Phone app to see that it's a bum phone number. All I have to do is pull down my notification bar from the lock screen and swipe it away. Additionally, I can swipe from the lock screen icon to open up that app directly to that element. You cannot do this from the WP7.5 lock screen.

Third party apps cannot post Lock Screen Notifications on WP7.5, so being able to pull down the Notification bar from the Lock Screen is a huge advantage. Additionally, WP7.5 has no cache, so for Apps without a Live Tile (or with a Volatile Live Tile) you either have to see the notification or there's a chance you won't know any new data came in until you actually open the application.

Facebook App Notifications on WP7 were consistently about 10 minutes behind Android and iOS for me. I tested this on YouTube on another forum, multiple times. The IM client notifies often minutes later than the Official App on iOS and 3rd party apps on Android (Beejive Pro and Trillian for Android), which I tested on YouTube on another forum, multiple times. Twitter on iOS and Android now has instant push notifications. Not the case on WP7.5 - this was a huge boon for people tweeting Results and Live Blogging through Twitter during the Olympics.

I used to carry 3 dispirate devices to get around these issues (iTouch tethered to my HD7 for iOS-exclusive apps/games, Vibrant with Active SIM/Data Plan for everything else smartphone-related, and the HD7 for calls/music streaming).

I have not seen one single app where Notification speed on WP7 was on par with iOS and Android. I don't think it's a platform issue, I think it's a back-end infrastructure issue. However, their method of typing in Services to Live.com and fetching data does not seem to be the most efficient as far as notification speed is concerned.

It's totally possible Live Tiles are perfect for millions of people out there, but I prefer to not have to check my phone to see if something new came in. I want it to beep or Vibrate and let me know. In addition to being more efficient (since I can get to any of it without unlocking the phone, anyways), it makes sense and the Live Tiles don't provide anything I cannot get via a Badge or Widget, anyways.

It also lets my phone last longer since there is less on-screen time from constantly checking to see if anything new is in.

If you want anything other than a few stock apps that display raw numbers on the lock screen, you have to unlock a Windows phone and getting to those tiles often requires scrolling down. Over a day you can log an extra 30 minutes of on-screen time just from checking for notifications which can add up to be a factorable chunk of your battery capacity.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
N8ter has brought up some very valid points. Maybe you could try to add something meaningful to to the discussion too? If not then please just let others continue, thanks.

Sad, but true, N8ter's demeanor comes off as being very arrogant to some people. I am sure he's very knowledgeable on a lot of mobile issues, but his demeanor pushes people the wrong way. Too many of his comments end up in a clash of, "You're wrong"; "No, you're wrong; "No, you're wrong; "No, you're wrong; "No, you're wrong;"No, you're wrong".

I was just over at Android Central the other day and came across this post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-x/198365-my-htc-one-x-t-3-months-later-2.html#post2058790

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Sad, but true, N8ter's demeanor comes off as being very arrogant to some people. I am sure he's very knowledgeable on a lot of mobile issues, but his demeanor pushes people the wrong way. Too many of his comments end up in a clash of, "You're wrong"; "No, you're wrong; "No, you're wrong; "No, you're wrong; "No, you're wrong;"No, you're wrong".

I was just over at Android Central the other day and came across this post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-x/198365-my-htc-one-x-t-3-months-later-2.html#post2058790

I agree his demeanor is poor, but that doesn't make all of his points invalid.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I agree his demeanor is poor, but that doesn't make all of his points invalid.

You're absolutely correct! If he changed his approach he'd get a different response.

One of the most important things a police officer has to learn is how to be assertive, but not aggressive. If you approach someone in an aggressive manner, you get an aggressive response.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
You're absolutely correct! If he changed his approach he'd get a different response.

One of the most important thing a police officer has to learn is how to assertive, but not aggressive. If you approach someone in an aggressive manner, you get an aggressive response.

What's the old saying, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
:/ here we go again

facepalm.gif

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

One of the most important things a police officer has to learn is how to be assertive, but not aggressive. If you approach someone in an aggressive manner, you get an aggressive response.

We all have difficulties some times in putting our thoughts into the right words.
I always try to stay objective towards others here, but often I notice afterwards when reading what I posted, that that's not always the case.

I agree his approach may be a bit 'off', but if you just take out the facts and ignore the subjective approach, one would indeed notice he's got some very true and very important! statements. I understand him cause I actually feel the same way.

You hear me N8ter ? I feel you bro. Most of you just try desperately to keep ignoring those facts, but they are still true none the less...

Every OS has it's flukes and issues, lacks, etc...I totally agree on that with all of you.
But I have NEVER had more of them with any os then now with WP (also this may seem subjective). I wonder who agrees with me on this ?
Anyone else actually thinks the same ?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
We all have difficulties some times in putting our thoughts into the right words.
I always try to stay objective towards others here, but often I notice afterwards when reading what I posted, that that's not always the case.

I agree his approach may be a bit 'off', but if you just take out the facts and ignore the subjective approach, one would indeed notice he's got some very true and very important! statements. I understand him cause I actually feel the same way.

You hear me N8ter ? I feel you bro. Most of you just try desperately to keep ignoring those facts, but they are still true none the less...

Every OS has it's flukes and issues, lacks, etc...I totally agree on that with all of you.
But I have NEVER had more of them with any os then now with WP (also this may seem subjective). I wonder who agrees with me on this ?
Anyone else actually thinks the same ?

Not me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb