Windows 8 & WP 7.5 Expectations?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone running windows 8 plug their phone into it and see what happens? SInce zune is gone on Win 8? What happens?

I downloaded Windows 8 from my technnet account wed but havent had the opportunity/time to install it yet over my Win 8 RP. Curiouse to know if anyone has done it yet and what happens. I'm still trying to figure out the xbox music thing and my song credits.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
At the moment it just installs the device. Beyond that nothing happens which isn't too surprising. I imagine that the OS will be updated to accommodate syncing at some point but for now you can keep using Zune without a problem.

As for music credits/Zune Pass, in the RTM Windows 8 it's just called XBox Music Pass now. I don't have a Zune Pass at the moment though, so I can't test how well the functionality transfers right now; going by what is included in the XBox Music app though, everything seems to be in place there.

sundawg337

Nov 8, 2008
Visit site
I just did this today. My first gen Focus was found and shown in the device manager, but that's about it. Did some searching and I have been given the impression that wp7 devices will still need zune on Windows 8 RTM (at least for now?). I tried to install zune but needed some .net libraries - it gave me some errors - but plenty of folks online seemed to get through this with a little effort at least on Windows 8 PR (I just didn't have time this evening).

I'll play around with it more in a week or two. If anyone has any other thoughts or info about needing zune for wp7 devices on Windows 8 RTM please reply.

I must say I was pretty disappointed that it didn't just work. This could add to the sentiment that the wp7 users have been left behind if some sort of update doesn't come along for Windows 8 before general availability.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
In order to install Zune, you have to first go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Windows Features and install .NET Framework 3.5 (first item in list). Reboot, then install Zune 4.8. After that, you should be good to go.

As for what the plans are with Windows Phone Sync and Windows 8, well, I'm not sure... I thought they were supposed to have a better means of handling that stuff without Zune, but it doesn't appear that it's "ready" or available yet. Hopefully it's one of the spit and polish items before launch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3