Sighs......marriage

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Alright let me give some background first. Last year I wanted a WP 7.5 device so I got a Focus S for Christmas. I used my upgrade and my wife paid the $200 for the phone as a Christmas present to me. In March I damaged the Focus and used the upgrade from another line to replace it with a Lumia 900 that I paid for myself. Samsung repaired the Focus so now it sits in its box as a backup phone (both my son and wife have first generation WP phones).

So this weekend I?m reading about WP8 phones and features and my wife makes the comment ?I know you?re not thinking about replacing your phone?. I told her I hadn?t given it much thought and asked her why she would say what she did. Her answer blew my mind.

She said that if I traded or sold my old phone to get a new one she would be hurt because my old phone was a present from her. She understood me having to get the Nokia because at the time I didn?t know that Samsung would fix it but she considered the Nokia my Christmas present also. I understand that selling a present from her is seen as insenitive but she didn't buy me the Lunia.

So this is for you married men out there and you female phone owners. Am I looking at this wrong? I mean I did buy my Lumia. To be honest I was thinking about waiting until late next year to get a WP8 phone so it?s really not much skin off my nose but I was wondering what you all thought about this. :confused:

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
You can't be expected to keep it forever...while it is working. Granted, you don't have to sell it, it could become your backup. You could also ask for a new phone for Christmas, that way she gets you an updated gift.

Is this a new relationship?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, typically, whatever I do is wrong. At least in her eyes :/ I can't see how she can expect you to keep the phone until the end of days. Maybe try to wok it so she buys you the new phone as a BDay or Christmas gift. That way the new gift trumps the old!

I guess I'm a little lucky, my wife is a bit of a techie. She wants bigger TVs, newer phones, etc... It's usually not hard for me to reason with her on upgrades to things, except that I wind up having to buy 2 of everything.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
You can't be expected to keep it forever...while it is working. Granted, you don't have to sell it, it could become your backup. You could also ask for a new phone for Christmas, that way she gets you an updated gift.

Is this a new relationship?

Married 11 years. I like the Christmas gift idea, thanks.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
All women think alike. I was given an iPhone 3GS as a gift when it launched for my birthday, and when I sold it over 2 years later, my wife told me she was hurt by that. My thinking was, it was my gift, I got a solid 2 years out of it using it every day, and when the time came it kept on giving by helping me buy a new phone.

She didn't see it that way. She was pissed at me for a while. She got over it though - they always do.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Married 11 years. I like the Christmas gift idea, thanks.

Also...another option to discuss...if you sold the Lumia and got a new phone then that would be your present from her. If you keep doing this with your phones, if each phone becomes the present from before, then it can be the gift that keeps on giving! You can tell her, this way, I will always have the present you got me with me all of the time.

"Honey, just having you in my life is gift enough. I do treasure the things you do for me and the gifts you have given me, and I wish I could keep this phone forever. We both know technology changes, too fast really, but if I trade this phone in for a new one, the new phone become my gift from you. This way, the gift you gave to me doesn't just end up unused, and in a drawer, when it becomes old. Even though technology becomes outdated, and trading up to a newer phone is exciting, each gift you give me is memorable."

The response you don’t want:

So, you like to trade up to newer models do you? Well, what about me? I am I just another “phone” to you? When do you consider me to be old and outdated? Well!!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think she already plans to get you a new WP8 phone for Christmas.

This is her way of making sure you don't spoil it by getting it yourself.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I would've asked her how long was she expecting your to keep the Focus S for. If she answered "2 years" then that would be reasonable but anything more wouldn't be.

Winning Guy might be on to something, btw. Also, like Mr. Burrrrns says, "no more phones as gifts."

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Forget the phone dilemma, I think you may be in some hot water should your wife venture onto the forums and read a thread started by you entitled, "Sighs......marriage"

;)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I was stuck in a similar predicament except mine went a better. My wife understands the value of devices like smartphones, computers, tablets, etc. She wasn't bummed when I sold the tablet she got me as a gift. She understands that this is something I do and that this is something people in general do this day in age with technology a) not living up to expectations and b) forever changing. So she was satisfied with being able to contribute to my happiness. Your wife needs to look at the gift not in it's solid for, but rather the feeling you get from the money she spent. The money she spent on your phone can then be passively transferred to another device this solidifying your happiness once again and she can take credit for it. That's the way my wife sees it...as long as I'm happy and she helped, then she is happy.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Tell her a Tag or Rolex is a heirloom. A cell phone last just a little longer than a box of chocolates.

or

Simply buy her some jewelery. ;)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This thread just made my day. Phones as gifts are a no-no. I buy all my phones, and will continue to even when I'm married. That way I can trade up whenever the heck I want! And she can't say squat (although that probably won't stop her trying, I got called a creep by this lass because I wanted an introduction the next time I went up to visit my friend in Newcastle)

dbcel

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Alright let me give some background first. Last year I wanted a WP 7.5 device so I got a Focus S for Christmas. I used my upgrade and my wife paid the $200 for the phone as a Christmas present to me. In March I damaged the Focus and used the upgrade from another line to replace it with a Lumia 900 that I paid for myself. Samsung repaired the Focus so now it sits in its box as a backup phone (both my son and wife have first generation WP phones).

So this weekend I?m reading about WP8 phones and features and my wife makes the comment ?I know you?re not thinking about replacing your phone?. I told her I hadn?t given it much thought and asked her why she would say what she did. Her answer blew my mind.

She said that if I traded or sold my old phone to get a new one she would be hurt because my old phone was a present from her. She understood me having to get the Nokia because at the time I didn?t know that Samsung would fix it but she considered the Nokia my Christmas present also. I understand that selling a present from her is seen as insenitive but she didn't buy me the Lunia.

So this is for you married men out there and you female phone owners. Am I looking at this wrong? I mean I did buy my Lumia. To be honest I was thinking about waiting until late next year to get a WP8 phone so it?s really not much skin off my nose but I was wondering what you all thought about this. :confused:
I do see where she is coming from, but most people don't understand that electronic devices will (should) get sold at one point to be replaced with newer better ones. I can see why she would feel hurt because it was a gift to you, but the gift buyer has to have that in mind when purchasing the device. Even if you were to sell the Focus S to buy a new phone, the new phone is still from her in a way.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE.....

I decided that I will "lose" my phone next spring. That should be the time that the bugs if any are worked out of WP8.

Also no more cell phones as gifts (but I am thinking about a WP8 tablet for a christmas gift....nawwwww maybe not)

:confused:

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Dude I feel for you. My wife still has her iPod 1! ONE!! Because I bought it for her six years ago and had her name etched into the back of it.

Mind you that I got it when we were going out, and we've since been married, so her name has changed. Thus it is an OLD IPOD with her OLD NAME that she will never use again.

I keep asking if I can sell it to Gamestop and I just get stonewalled. :(

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Dude I feel for you. My wife still has her iPod 1! ONE!! Because I bought it for her six years ago and had her name etched into the back of it.

Mind you that I got it when we were going out, and we've since been married, so her name has changed. Thus it is an OLD IPOD with her OLD NAME that she will never use again.

I keep asking if I can sell it to Gamestop and I just get stonewalled. :(
How much will GameThieves, I mean GameStop, will give you for an iPod 1? I think that perhaps you should prop it on a stand and put it on a decorative table in your house. It will make a nice conversation piece with guests coming over, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb