How would you change the OS if you could?

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
- Mass delete threads/texts.
- Speed dialing, come on, even my dad's old phone (which still says CINGULAR on it) has that.
- Dialing by name along with the key pad. (I guess that's called smart dialing?)
- Screenshot function.
- More color options for themes. Color wheel/slider?
- Light for missed text or new email.
- Saving GIFs and PNGs.
- No JPEG quality reducing when saving images/keeping original quality and file extension when saving images.
- Faster camera.
- Not having WiFi drop constantly for no reason.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
  • Allow phone to hold WiFi connection while screen is off
  • Increase amount of RAM dedicated to periodic background agents
  • Communication and social notification centre with API for specific apps to plug into. You won't get updates from a game in there, but you'll be able to trace Skype, Facebook inbox, texts, etc.
  • Increase number of apps kept frozen in background (and hence the number of apps shown in task switcher)
  • Provide option to have the old WP7.0 IE layout, with separate URL bar and app bar. It's kind of ridiculous that the leaked emulator requires you to forgo reload/stop functionality just to get one-tap access to tabs.
  • Provide option to have a speed dial as your new tab page
  • Close empty IE tabs automatically, or allow links to be opened in empty tabs + new tabs.
  • Overhaul camera app so settings are more accessible (more buttons around the screen)
  • Apps resume running instances when launched from app list or tile
  • Provide option to download images in email by default
  • Favour "exact match" titles when searching the Marketplace
  • Allow defaults like search engine to be changed
  • Provide option to keep the gutter in Windows Phone 8
  • Color wheel to pick custom accent colour, or an eyedrop tool so you can colour match a wallpaper
  • Artist imagery on lock screen should be dimmed like wallpapers are
  • Easily accessible (connectivity) toggles
  • Allow local storage of OneNote notebooks / make automatic syncing optional
  • Fix up phone tile so it gets rid of the counter when I open the call history
  • Provide podcast functionality in non-supported regions through direct podcast URLs
  • Common ringtone / alert repository that third party apps (eg timers) can plug into
  • Native solution for ringtone trimming and tagging
  • System-wide adoption of Nextgen Reader's multi-select
  • "Mark as read" as an app bar button when multi-selecting email
  • Wider picture and video support, especially for images with transparency
  • Landscape lock screen and home screen support, no matter how rudimentary

Retro_uk

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd like folders for text messages added. My old Nokia allowed me to save odd text messages into named folders for safe keeping. Not a fan of having to keep a long history of texts just to make sure I hold on to the odd important message in there.

mikkoaa

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Already made thread about my own issues:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/196917.htm

But in short:
* Fix your fonts. Commands like Settings, Call, etc all should start big first letter. This is common in all phones
* Lifetiles more interesting looks, blue/white colors are boring. Even Windows 3.1 had more color in most of the icons
* Make it possible to set round corners around tiles.
* Fix keyboard looks by at least rounding the corners, the current one is worst of all the OS virtual keyboards

And background images. Some abstract images in background that wont make so much a mess like the Vista ones:
http://www.whitegadget.com/attachme...ure-gallery-blue-abstract-vista-wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:

Lulu1958

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't want you to tell me "the OS is perfect it's simple and elegant" you all know that Microsoft told us to believe that.

What I want is you to take 30 seconds to think about what could be changed or improved.

Be creative.
There is no Bluetooth File transfer with the HTC Radar.

The notification light only lights for missed calls and voicemails.

Cannot set music as a ringtone (they give you instructions on how to do it but they dont work)

I am so disappointed with this phone and myself for not doing research into it. The most basic phones have what HTC has omitted from the Radar.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hmmmm..hmmmmmm.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

:dry

mmmmm,. think its been 30 sec....

- listen to voice MSG in the Xbox hub from your Xbox friends.?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the multitasking / app switching needs to be revamped. Some way of closing apps from the "card" view... Someway of having apps work better between swaps. Board express frustrates the heck out of me, you leave the app, mid post, to grab a link, and when you go back to it, save and cancel at the bottom are sometimes missing and you have to back out and restart your post... I realize this is an issue with board express, but if app switching were handled differently, thus issue could go away on its own.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

drusand810

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
A few things that have really bothered me lately...

- Artist backgrounds are so low quality that it's a joke. I guess I don't listen to much very "popular" music, but every band I've listened to with a picture looks like trash on the lock screen. They need to either give us the ability to edit them or just flat out not display them if they're at such low quality. This is going to be an even bigger problem on the higher res screens in WP8! I know this is way down the list for them, but it's a great little bit of presentation that really impresses people.

- Better voice commands. It's kind of embarrassing that things available in winmo aren't possible in WP7 currently.

- I'd like to see FourSquare get the same kind of integration as Facebook, Twitter, etc., but that's just obv a longshot.

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Need to revamp the calendar. It's completely unusable.

Me Tile notifications don't show up right away. Takes a couple of minutes for notifications to show up after waking up the phone.

Live Tiles should be updating during sleep.

Need to have tweeting/facebook by voice.

Fix exchange server issues with mail (can't download attachments).

Have the Me app use twitter's image uploading service and not skydrive.

turbulent

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
better calendar
multi delete
ability to switch back to IE and be able to hit the back button without it closing the browser.. (hit back..and go back to the last page viewed instead)
option to make notifications private (i have to turn my phone upside down at work so the nosys wont see)

Mark as read for text messages

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Font size on the Lock screen be able to customize that, and I would like a iMessage type of deal. We have WhatsApp, but it'll be nice to have something like it. Or at least a way to see that the other person has read my text message. Sort of like BBM, I've used both BBM and iM. So It's something nice to have and be like they got it, they read it, cool! I guess you can say more text message customization's.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
- battery as percentage
- blinky for missed texts/emails
- add songs to playlists
- have group tiles not show duplicate updates
- if the Me tile signifies I have updates, then have those updates downloaded before I open the tile

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
- fix the me tile problem with notifications
- make adding a contact from a number that's not in your contacts a two stop process
- add support for gchat,yahoo,aim into the system. [kill off IM+]
- tile would flip until the screen times out
- add a quick toggle for wifi/BT
- add text/IM custom alert
- ota updates
- let transparent wallpapers happen again

Last edited:

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
as has been said, all notifications (3rd party apps included, with maybe a menu to choose which to show) added to the me tile would be great

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos