Garmin Street Pilot vs Navigon vs Telenav vs Nokia drive. Need help. Would appreciate

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've always used Telenav for $9.99 a month and absolutely love it.

Nokia drive is cool, basic, gets the job done. But it doesn't speak street names. Doesn't have any of the convenient options. Also, it works best with addresses. Searching a place doesn't work so well. I searched for a wireless store and it took me to someones residence..lol

Question, can you download additional voices that isn't available in the download app?

Telenav
Love the voice with street names/Freeway names.. every name. It will even repeat your destination address when you arrive.

Also, Telenav doesn't have a robotic voice.

The only thing missing for me is that you can't download any alternate voices. Or can you?

Plus, it's $9.99 a month.

I'm deciding on either Garmen Street Pilot or Navigon.

It's a better investment. Garmin is $30 dollars which is only 3 months of telenav. Navigon is $50 which is 5 months, but it'll save me money in the long run.

I travel around the US a lot so I need a premium Navi system for my phone.

I read about both and see that they both offer the great features telenav does.

My questions are....

Do these apps make your phone HOT? Can that damage your phone?

Do I have to download additional maps for the US?

Do they have speak street names with a natural voice or robotic voice?

Do they have different voices to choose from each speaking street names?

I really do appreciate this.
Thank you very much.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've always used Telenav for $9.99 a month and absolutely love it.

Nokia drive is cool, basic, gets the job done. But it doesn't speak street names. Doesn't have any of the convenient options. Also, it works best with addresses. Searching a place doesn't work so well. I searched for a wireless store and it took me to someones residence..lol

Question, can you download additional voices that isn't available in the download app?....

With the Symbian version of Nokia Drive, you can download voice navigation. I don't have a WP Nokia phone.

TeleNav is nice. I use to pay $99 a year to use it on my Palm Treo Pro.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Here is what I think and I consider myself a bit if a connoisseur I have both Navigon and Garmin installed in my T2. I used to have a Lumia 900 and used Nokia drive.

Navigon turns your phone in to a GPS. It looks up addresses like a GPS would you fist pick the state, then the city, then the street, then the number. None of the others use this input method. Navigon uses google to search things that are not already on the map. Navigon also will alert you when you are approaching a red light camera. With down loadable maps at times I use my T2 without a sim card as a stand alone GPS and it works fine. You have 2 voices to chose from that come pre installed I think there is a way to add more but I am not seeing that option this morning. The street names addresses and destination address are all read out while you are navigating. Navigon has added updatability maps at a charge and will update maps every 3 months through the Navigon store using fresh maps. this costs an additional $24 it might have gone up but that is what I paid. All of this makes Navigon the better GPS. I travel all over the US for work this is my GPS of choice.

Garmin is a travel center with a GPS. You get a lot of cool stuff with Street pilot including trip planer, flight status, and the ability to check in on four square. It has a couple of different voices to chose from. Will read out destinations and voice navigation works well. I have had issues with it not interpreting the GPS location correctly on my T2. This app uses network connection to generate maps so no downloaded maps.

Nokia Drive is a very basic GPS navigation program very nice for people who just need a basic how to get there. Its a nice adder for people who just need basic navigation and don't want to spend any money. It also had down loadable maps which is a plus.

All of these will heat up your device so make a plan to keep it cool. You don't want your battery getting overheated. I have my phone holder set up so my device is in from to one of the vents in my truck. The heat issues is reduced on the apps that have down loadable maps so you want down loadable maps if you can get it.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
David, can you clarify the Navigon costs? It looks like $50 for the app, and it's an additional $24 for updated maps... for offline mode or everyday use? And you mention that they publish updates every 3 months... is it $24 one time, per year, or per update?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The way its working for me is its $50 for the app and comes with the current maps. You can download those maps at any time works with traffic updates and everything. If you want or need the latest updated maps you can buy a subscription to get them for the additional $24 this is good for a period of 2 years. Maps are updated every quarter year.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Follow up... Does it pause music to read directions? I really like Garmin's app, but it doesn't pause music, so I would miss the instructions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3