Find My Windows Phone

wlknsn

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I just lost my windows phone and used the windows phone locator but unfortunately it can't find it (the service is activated however).

I assume I will never see it again, but can't find info on the following questions:

1) if the new owner/thief replaces the sim card, does the phone locator still work? I'm hoping it uses the live id and not the sim.

2) if another sim card is used, can the new owner/thief access my live id related services (like windows live mail and marketplace). So is the sim card connected to these services?

Hoping to get info on this asap. Can't find any details on this anywhere.

Thanks!

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too sure on the specifics of how it works. Best bet is to call your carrier right away and see what they recommend or can do.

You might also consider going on the Find My Phone page and seeing if there's a way to contact Microsoft for assistance.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The first thing you have to do is remotely lock your phone (you can even display a message on the screen) - then they can't access anything and can still be tracked. If the service is not working then I don't know.

Did you at least password lock your phone?

wlknsn

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The first thing you have to do is remotely lock your phone (you can even display a message on the screen) - then they can't access anything and can still be tracked. If the service is not working then I don't know.

Did you at least password lock your phone?
Yes, it is password locked. I also did the remote lock. It said it couldn't find the phone and will let me know when it could lock it.

Just changed my live password as well, just to make sure.

Any info discovering the device when SIM is removed/swapped? - If not, I'm very sure I will never see it again.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If you're not worried about any content on it being lost (ie. you frequently sync it up), you might also consider using the remote wipe function as a fall back.

Then again, if I were actually going to steal one, I'd be smart enough to just hard reset it the moment I picked it up and swap the SIM.

That said, I'm pretty sure the carriers can see the serial numbers show up on the network, so as I said... while tech is great, call the carrier too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99