The Stinch of Death Returns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The "article" is nothing but trash. He picks one of several features demonstrated today and then forms his argument around the idea that Nokia is banking on that feature.

Was I slightly underwhelmed? Yes. But I liked what I saw. Time will tell, not stupid articles, if Nokia is a success.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You seem to be t-rolling but ill hold off on actually giving you that title. Stinch of death? No that'd be web os

strictlystyles

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say stench of death, of course not, but I hope to god this isn't all Nokia has planned. I mean really, an upgraded 900 as your flagship windows 8 phone? Theres gotta be more up their sleeve.

Last edited:

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
You seem to be t-rolling but ill hold off on actually giving you that title. Stinch of death? No that'd be web os

Just because I don't agree with you does not mean I am trolling. I'm putting my thoughts out there, if you disagree then by all means share your opinions. If it's not just angry babbling I'll enjoy reading it and who knows, ya might give me something new to consider. Like the WebOS comment, I completely agree with you! Unless your a tech geek it's dead and in the box. TG's are the only ones who will be able to do something with it because average knuckle heads like me sure as heck won't! :straight:

I wouldn't say stench of death, of course not, but I hope to god this isn't all Nokia has planned. I mean really, an upgraded 900 as your flagship windows 8 phone? Theres gotta be more up their sleeve.

My point is there's a lot of unhappy campers regarding today's announcement, when you combine that with Nokia's already saggy position AND Winphone's last place spot... Well you can see my point a little clearer I think.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Fortunately, Nokia still included the USB port which will STILL charge their devices. So the wireless charging is optional.

But I somewhat agree with the article, it's an interesting feature. But not that interesting. When more devices include it as a de facto feature, yea then it will be nice.

Then the next question: How fast can it charge the device?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately, Nokia still included the USB port which will STILL charge their devices. So the wireless charging is optional.

But I somewhat agree with the article, it's an interesting feature. But not that interesting. When more devices include it as a de facto feature, yea then it will be nice.

Then the next question: How fast can it charge the device?

So, if android or iOS had it, you'd want it, but not till then? <slaps head> with the Pre, wireless was/is just as fast as wall charger.

And I should add, with Pre, once you used wireless charging, using cords becomes archaic. And yes I hate plugging in my 900. Still wirelessly charge my Pre2MP3 player.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
So, if android or iOS had it, you'd want it, but not till then? <slaps head> with the Pre, wireless was/is just as fast as wall charger.

LMAO! :lol:

And I should add, with Pre, once you used wireless charging, using cords becomes archaic. And yes I hate plugging in my 900. Still wirelessly charge my Pre2MP3 player.

Actually several months ago I bought a touchstone & wireless charge back side for my Pre (I'm slow to adapt OK?) and while I like it, I don't use it as much as I thought I would. It doesn't work when I turn on MyTether and it gets really hot.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Just because I don't agree with you does not mean I am trolling. I'm putting my thoughts out there, if you disagree then by all means share your opinions. If it's not just angry babbling I'll enjoy reading it and who knows, ya might give me something new to consider. Like the WebOS comment, I completely agree with you! Unless your a tech geek it's dead and in the box. TG's are the only ones who will be able to do something with it because average knuckle heads like me sure as heck won't! :straight:

My point is there's a lot of unhappy campers regarding today's announcement, when you combine that with Nokia's already saggy position AND Winphone's last place spot... Well you can see my point a little clearer I think.
But you're not expressing your opinion. You're spreading a negative news article which is based solely on an opinion. And a lot of your comments in previous topics represent the same attitude

There are a lot of VOCAL unhappy campers. In a lot of tech sites that I've visited, the commentors are mostly positive. The journalists are just being like they usually are and act like they don't have a mind of their own but the visitors have an overall great impression.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Before the end of this decade, people will laugh at those who still use a cord to charge any of their devices, toys, appliances, everything. Charge pads will be in every home, office, business, restaurant, plane, train and automobile. I have been waiting nearly a decade for this technology to go mainstream. Can't wait to get it in my next Nokia.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
LMAO! :lol:

Actually several months ago I bought a touchstone & wireless charge back side for my Pre (I'm slow to adapt OK?) and while I like it, I don't use it as much as I thought I would. It doesn't work when I turn on MyTether and it gets really hot.

Yeah, my tether would suck so much juice that the touchstone couldn't keep up. But I don't think plugging it in worked much better. I'd test it on mine, but don't have data service on it anymore. The pre would suck through juice when tethering over wifi.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Power mat anyone?

And to reply to the article,yes we know that the power charger alone won't move units. Any common person can see its about a brand, hence Nokia and their lumia line

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This is like sating that a particular car model is doomed because people don't like that it has paddle shifters that could be used optionally.

Really?

Some of you guys are trying so hard to tear Nokia down. And often they're with arguments that make very little sense.

How about if you use more energy supporting something you like instead of trying to tear down something you dislike?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The "article" is nothing but trash. He picks one of several features demonstrated today and then forms his argument around the idea that Nokia is banking on that feature.

This article was written on the 4th, before the announcements of the 5th.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
"Stench of death"??? Not a lot of grey area there. You were not impressed.

I loved my Pre. Miss WebOS a lot. Makes me a little more sensitive to the future of WP, because I do not want to settle for second best for me in an OS, which would be Android. I lived through the death of one OS already. So I feel your apprehension.

But wireless charging was only about 4 or 5 minutes of an hour and 15 minute presentation. It is a feature, not the base of their selling point. They were way more proud of their camera, their Nokia maps and streaming services, and their handset manufacturing. These will be what they try to sell, along with WP 8 and it's improvements.

I am a little concerned. I truly am. But why are we kicking Nokia, when we know how great their products are? Shouldn't they have built some good will with us in the WP community?

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Here's some irony. When I last switched phones, I said something to the effect of "if this phone could do Qi, I'd be keeping it..."

Is wireless charging going to change someone's mind about a phone? Maybe not, but when you add that to a list of pretty cool features, then maybe. For me, for example, I had planned to get an iPhone 5 (in addition to a Lumia), but the lack of NFC has completely convinced me otherwise. On the other hand, I had considered getting the Samsung ATIV, but the Lumia Pureview and wireless charging has also completely convinced me otherwise.

It's not one feature that sells a phone; it's the whole kit-and-caboodle.

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 4S to iPhone 4

8 MP - 5 MP
Siri - No Siri
Dual core - Single Core

Not that big of a change, people still went crazy over it. Pretty sure people who are crazy about their Lumias are going to buy the new one as well. This is our 4S, I love it! Those Low Light pictures are beyond awesome, that stability feature as well. People will buy, and people will love, I could be wrong. Either way companies are all about gimmicks, look at Siri! No one hardly uses it, only to impress their friends by talking smack to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077