The Stinch of Death Returns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I lolled a bit when I read the article. You have too take up space to your charging pad 24/7? Seriously, who doesn't have place for that somewhere? I mean come on, if you look for problems you'll always find them. Right now, I have a wire for my Lumia 800 lying on my table. That takes up space as well lol...

And you have to buy a new one if you want to charge some place else? What about bringing the one you've got? I mean, it's not like its nailed to the table (of which you apparently haven't got too many since you don't have room for the charger...). 1. Pack it down. 2. Pack it out and charge.

Two dumbest reasons ever why wireless charging is a problem. I mean come on, Apple uses specialized cables all the time, why aren't people irritated by that?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Siri was on iPhone 4, it just became apple subsidiary and deeply integrated in the 4s.

So many people are not happy with apple's proprietary plugs but have just learned to accept it since its apple and they do whatever they want.

I had a free one of those Duracell charging mats when they came out. Only drawback was the horrible attachment needed to work with my iPhone so I discontinued use and tossed it in the trash.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I will say the 920 is a disappointing phone when I actually see what the Ativ can do. As far as I can tell at this time we haven't seen anything showing the capabilities of the Ativ as we have with the 920, so it seems a bit unfair to bash Nokia at this time. If in the future Samsung shows everything the Ativ can do and it is much better than the 920, bash away.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
But you're not expressing your opinion. You're spreading a negative news article which is based solely on an opinion. And a lot of your comments in previous topics represent the same attitude

There are a lot of VOCAL unhappy campers. In a lot of tech sites that I've visited, the commentors are mostly positive. The journalists are just being like they usually are and act like they don't have a mind of their own but the visitors have an overall great impression.

OK! Let me make this clear... 1. I am NOT Nokia/MS/WP8 bashing!!!! :mad: Am I a Nokia ******? No! Do I hate Nokia? NO! Just because someone isn't screaming from the roof tops at how wonderful the Lumia XXX is or how fanfreakintastic WP8 is does not mean they hate it! At the same time you cannot ignore the pink elephant in the corner either. I want WP8 to dominate the globe. I want every manufacturer pumping out WP8 devices but in order to get there we need something eye popping. The Lumia's are not it period!

Am I saying Sammy & HTC are better?? NO! But if I had to buy one right now I'd take a Sammy over Nokia. Frankly since seeing real innovation (and you know what device I'm talking about) all these new phones are a bore! One slab after another, after another, after another. ASUS & Sammy are the only two so far to take it to another level.

Pureview - Do not care at all!

Puremotion - Nice but not ground breaking and there's other ways to use a phone with gloves on.

Wireless charging - Great but nothing new.

NFC - Nice but it' too early to be of any real use.

Nokia maps - That's a surprise, I would have thought MS would have forced them to use Bing maps. Still most folks have GPS devices so phone based ones are just back ups.

Exclusive Apps - If your a Nokia fan you'll sing there praises, if your not you won't care! Apps are another thing that people get obsessed with. I rarely use them cause have the time the **** things don't work!

Now you take that add it with Nokia's other problems, then add it to WP8's last place standing, then add in "perception" and what do you get??? A PROBLEM! I'll be the first to say I could be completely wrong but right now this doesn't look good. I haven't been to other forums and heard glowing reviews but I have read other articles that have sounded alarms for WP8. :straight:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes is a moron. I mean seriously, folks, this is the man who wrote in the linked article that the biggest negative for wireless charging is that you have to dedicate space for the pad.

Hey, look, if that's a negative then wow, I'm so thankful that my issues in life are legitimate! But let's get real... some of us remember the Palm Pre and how you had to put it on their touchstone just right or it wouldn't work. I asked for a demo of the pads yesterday, and in one scenario the devices were BARELY touching and still triggered charging.

And let's go back to the negative a moment... how many of you don't have a spot that you put your phone at night or at work? The charging pad is SMALLER than the phone itself, so if you have room for your phone, you have room for the pad.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too impressed with wireless charging since it'll be an extremely small trickle charge, right? For example, the difference between charging my phone via USB and just plugging it into the wall is ... measurable to say the least, so then this will be on par with USB or worse . I understand and recognise it may be convenient if you start seeing general public surfaces that are charge enabled but I still think the charge rate will be too weak to be anything more then some novelty.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
My 2C that guy gets paid to get you to read his article he wins. "Stench of Death" Come on seriously? For 2 years on this forum I have read post after post asking the WP device manufacturers for better hardware. We want high resolution screens, better screens, screens with newer technology, better cameras, wireless charging, faster processes, better battery life, NFC, better bluetooth capabilities, Nokia steps up and delivers so now we have the "Stench of Death"? I think the world is reactionary people get upset when they don't get what they want and for a lot of people here they didn't get what they wanted from this event, WP8 specifics. We know we have a great OS at least those of us that use it every day those that have tried other OS's and prefer WP because of what is can do NOW. We know WP is capable but we can all agree it needs more we want to know that our upgrade of choice will be in WP8 we didn't get that from Nokia and Microsoft this week. Its too bad for Nokia because they are getting the brunt of our frustration and that is Microsoft's fault IMHO. Samsung announced their new WP8 devices and we didn't get this kind of uproar from the community. Why? because Microsoft wasn't there Samsung isn't there chief partner. For Nokias event we all expected more and didn't get it so now we have "Why wireless charging won't save Nokia" and "The Stench of Death". I don't think so but thanks for the shock value.

I know when all the WP8 devices are announced and available for purchase I will be buying one I am not sure what device I will go with but you can bet I will hold a Nokia in my hand for review before I pass on it. I would recommend you do the same or you might regret it.

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Am I saying Sammy & HTC are better?? NO! But if I had to buy one right now I'd take a Sammy over Nokia. Frankly since seeing real innovation (and you know what device I'm talking about) all these new phones are a bore! One slab after another, after another, after another. ASUS & Sammy are the only two so far to take it to another level.

Are you talking about the Ativ? Care to share how, compared to the GSIII, it is more innovative design wise than the 920 compared to the 900? If anything, I think the delta is pretty even.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My 2C that guy gets paid to get you to read his article he wins. "Stench of Death" Come on seriously? For 2 years on this forum I have read post after post asking the WP device manufacturers for better hardware. We want high resolution screens, better screens, screens with newer technology, better cameras, wireless charging, faster processes, better battery life, NFC, better bluetooth capabilities, Nokia steps up and delivers so now we have the "Stench of Death"? I think the world is reactionary people get upset when they don't get what they want and for a lot of people here they didn't get what they wanted from this event, WP8 specifics. We know we have a great OS at least those of us that use it every day those that have tried other OS's and prefer WP because of what is can do NOW. We know WP is capable but we can all agree it needs more we want to know that our upgrade of choice will be in WP8 we didn't get that from Nokia and Microsoft this week. Its too bad for Nokia because they are getting the brunt of our frustration and that is Microsoft's fault IMHO. Samsung announced their new WP8 devices and we didn't get this kind of uproar from the community. Why? because Microsoft wasn't there Samsung isn't there chief partner. For Nokias event we all expected more and didn't get it so now we have "Why wireless charging won't save Nokia" and "The Stench of Death". I don't think so but thanks for the shock value.

I know when all the WP8 devices are announced and available for purchase I will be buying one I am not sure what device I will go with but you can bet I will hold a Nokia in my hand for review before I pass on it. I would recommend you do the same or you might regret it.
This post needs to be stickied to the top of every forum after all this drama

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about the Ativ? Care to share how, compared to the GSIII, it is more innovative design wise than the 920 compared to the 900? If anything, I think the delta is pretty even.

No. I'm talking about the future of the smartphone, the phon-let, Phablet or whatever ya want to call it. Asus PadFone and Sammy's Note/Note2. This is real innovation and Nokia had the chance to show us there version with the Surface. How hard would it have been?? There partners with MS for cryin out loud! :straight:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Actually it's the Stinch of Deatrh even though it should be Stench!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh, it's Preluva with a negative post about Windows Phone! Who would have guessed?

Give it a rest, seriously. Last time I checked, heaps of people still can't tell the difference between the Retina and non-Retina iPad.

Sammy's Note/Note2
There's nothing innovative about the Note line, they are big phones with a digitiser. It's not a Samsung exclusive technology just like how the Synaptics touch technology isn't Nokia exclusive. And Nokia has a tonne of features apart from that, which Samsung does not.

This post needs to be stickied to the top of every forum after all this drama
Name and shame blacklist, please.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
!

What features do the Ativ have that are so innovative?

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh, it's Preluva with a negative post about Windows Phone! Who would have guessed?

Give it a rest, seriously. Last time I checked, heaps of people still can't tell the difference between the Retina and non-Retina iPad.

There's nothing innovative about the Note line, they are big phones with a digitiser. It's not a Samsung exclusive technology just like how the Synaptics touch technology isn't Nokia exclusive. And Nokia has a tonne of features apart from that, which Samsung does not.

Name and shame blacklist, please.

AngryNil I never said anything about WP8! I want a WP8 phone hello!!! :straight: This is about NOKIA and there lack luster phones get it. In my opinion there on life support and these phones ain't gonna save them. As for innovation yes, I think Sammy's Note is better than the Lumia's and the Asus PadFone is even better. How can you not say it's not innovative?? They combined the smartphone and the tablet! If this isn't a game changer I'd like to know what you think is. Scottcraft you can join here too cause I wasn't talking about the Ativ. ;)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
AngryNil I never said anything about WP8! I want a WP8 phone hello!!! :straight: This is about NOKIA and there lack luster phones get it. In my opinion there on life support and these phones ain't gonna save them. As for innovation yes, I think Sammy's Note is better than the Lumia's and the Asus PadFone is even better. How can you not say it's not innovative?? They combined the smartphone and the tablet! If this isn't a game changer I'd like to know what you think is. Scottcraft you can join here too cause I wasn't talking about the Ativ. ;)

So your saying that the Lumia design is lackluster?

Lumia 900 Awards - Nokia - USA

The award winning design of the Lumia 900 is lackluster winning awards from ZDNet, Popular Mechanics, Computer Shopper, Wired Gadget Labs, Gottabe Moble best of CES, eWeek editors pick, Popular Science Product of the future, Laptop Magazine best of CES, PC Magazine best of CES, Tech Buffalo Best of CES, thats quite a list isn't it. Your saying that by taking that award winning design and adding to is a 1280 X 768 screen with Polarization filter, Light time-out ,Ambient light detector, Brightness control, Orientation sensor, Sculpted 2.5D glass, Proximity sensor, High Brightness mode, RGB Stripe, Sunlight readability enhancements, Pixel density 332 ppi, Luminance 600 nits, Aspect ratio 15:9, Corning? Gorilla? Glass, Super sensitive touch, Color boosting, IPS, and a Refresh rate at 60 Hz and Nokia created a lackluster device? We haven't even started talking about the camera yet. What about the Galaxy Note compares to any of that? Now the camera I'll just Post the specs here:

8.7 mega pixels
Camera flash type
Short pulse high power dual LED
Carl Zeiss Tessar lens
Yes
Camera resolution
3264 x 2448 pixels
Camera focus type
Auto focus with two-stage capture key
Camera F number/aperture <Look that up its important
Camera digital zoom
4 x
Camera focal length <Look that up its important
26.0 mm

Camera features
Nokia PureView camera
Touch focus
Landscape orientation
Geo-tagging
Auto and manual white balance
Still image editor
Optical Image Stabilization
Lenses applications
Sensor size 1/3 inch
Sensor type: BSI
True 16:9 sensor
Pixel size 1.4 ?m

Now you know its been posted for your review are you still saying there is nothing game changing here? I think once you put this camera in the hands of the public and start seeing the pictures that come out people will be flocking to the L920. When they get one and use WP8 then see how that screen looks then feel the award winning design of the Lumia line, I think the L920 will be a game changer.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
So your saying that the Lumia design is lackluster?

Lumia 900 Awards - Nokia - USA

The award winning design of the Lumia 900 is lackluster winning awards from ZDNet, Popular Mechanics, Computer Shopper, Wired Gadget Labs, Gottabe Moble best of CES, eWeek editors pick, Popular Science Product of the future, Laptop Magazine best of CES, PC Magazine best of CES, Tech Buffalo Best of CES, thats quite a list isn't it. Your saying that by taking that award winning design and adding to is a 1280 X 768 screen with Polarization filter, Light time-out ,Ambient light detector, Brightness control, Orientation sensor, Sculpted 2.5D glass, Proximity sensor, High Brightness mode, RGB Stripe, Sunlight readability enhancements, Pixel density 332 ppi, Luminance 600 nits, Aspect ratio 15:9, Corning? Gorilla? Glass, Super sensitive touch, Color boosting, IPS, and a Refresh rate at 60 Hz and Nokia created a lackluster device? We haven't even started talking about the camera yet. What about the Galaxy Note compares to any of that? Now the camera I'll just Post the specs here:

8.7 mega pixels
Camera flash type
Short pulse high power dual LED
Carl Zeiss Tessar lens
Yes
Camera resolution
3264 x 2448 pixels
Camera focus type
Auto focus with two-stage capture key
Camera F number/aperture <Look that up its important
Camera digital zoom
4 x
Camera focal length <Look that up its important
26.0 mm

Camera features
Nokia PureView camera
Touch focus
Landscape orientation
Geo-tagging
Auto and manual white balance
Still image editor
Optical Image Stabilization
Lenses applications
Sensor size 1/3 inch
Sensor type: BSI
True 16:9 sensor
Pixel size 1.4 ?m

Now you know its been posted for your review are you still saying there is nothing game changing here? I think once you put this camera in the hands of the public and start seeing the pictures that come out people will be flocking to the L920. When they get one and use WP8 then see how that screen looks then feel the award winning design of the Lumia line, I think the L920 will be a game changer.

Only u cud have been the right person to reply to this baseless comment...heck even SIRI said Lumia is the beat phone..oh common...

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
As for innovation yes, I think Sammy's Note is better than the Lumia's and the Asus PadFone is even better. How can you not say it's not innovative?? They combined the smartphone and the tablet!
You just completely failed to address my retort to your purportedly ill-reasoned stance on the Note's innovativeness. They are using a big screen with an ordinary resolution. Big deal, HTC does that with the Titan too. Oh, there's a digitiser? Nokia has a glove-friendly touchscreen courtesy of Synaptics.

The amount of innovation in the Note is but a tiny drop compared to the wave of innovation showcased in the 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos