Windows Phone 7.8 release date?

Red Lemur

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I still think it's in Microsoft's interest to get people updated quickly. Getting everyone (existing users and new) showing off the new start screen becomes advertising for Microsoft of both WP8 and their new Windows 8. If they have thousands of devices still running an older version of their windows 8 UI vision in 2013 (i.e. the current wp7 start screen) it would be detrimental to their marketing and the success of their other devices (not just phones). As Microsoft said themselves:

"The new Start screen is so useful and emblematic of what Windows Phone is about that we want everybody to enjoy it.".

They're trying to sell a vision of a common UI (and tight integration) across tablets/pcs/phones - which is why I think they'll be in a hurry of sorts to ensure existing devices show the new UI too.

It will show they care about existing users by giving them new features, probably make wp7.8 -> windows 8 integration tighter, but whilst knowing there are still enough differences wp7.8 to wp8 to tempt those existing users to upgrade to WP8. They may also believe it will tempt more people towards Win8 tablets when they come out.

There's recently been a few sightings of e.g. Nokia having a 520 with 7.8 which means they have it ready - and we've all seen the leaked 7.8 roms.

So if it's ready, and in Microsoft's interest to get the new UI out there, then they'll be getting it to operators at the same time as the WP8 launch - which means it will probably get out to users about 4 weeks later once the operators get their act in order. So (I hope) late November.

Spikasaur

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
A different way...

I have 359 messages on my Lumia 900 which need to be erased one by one (which requires three finger presses each). That kinda makes 7.8 a little more crucial for some of us. It's incredible this functionality has not been addressed yet. I have Nokia and MS stock, just so you know.

On the messages screen which shows up all the threads, you can hold down on a particular person's message thread and delete all at once.
Just trying to help.

articandy97

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Heyy...happy US Cellular HTC Arrive user here. Just curious: will the proclaimed hit apps on android and iOS 'draw something and 'words with friends be coming with the new and highly awaited 'WP update 7.8'??? I am currently running WP 7.5, and am patiently waiting in line for the 7.8 update for my Arrive, and would really like to be able to use those apps. My mom has an iPad, and i had an iPhone, and we used to play that all the time. but i decided to go windows for a while. And so far: hating it. Straight up, when is this 7.8 update coming, and will i get to play these *awsome* apps that even android managed to get on their marketplace?????? I mean, I know I'm not the only one, am I???:dry

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
but i decided to go windows for a while. And so far: hating it. Straight up, when is this 7.8 update coming, and will i get to play these *awsome* apps that even android managed to get on their marketplace?????? I mean, I know I'm not the only one, am I???:dry

That even Android managed to get on the marketplace? You have to understand something here - Apple's iPhone / iOS is one of the most popular devices and operating systems out there. They command a significant portion of the marketshare and as a result many applications will go to them first because developers are able to cast a wider net and reign in more customers that way. Google's Android is another shining example of this and the more people become familiar with this OS and geeks and pundits alike continue to sing their praises apps will port over or even been exclusive to Android for a while.

Windows Phone is still relatively new to market and offers hybrid of Google's and Apple's approach - a multiple device ecosystem with one main version of the flagship operating system. The experience you get with a Lumia 900 will be roughly the same you get with the Titan II. The differences will be in the hardware and what device specific features and apps that are included. That alone should be enough for a company to standout to the masses and help people who want to get off the constant phone upgrade rollercoaster stick with one device / OS for longer than 3 months before they find out their device is obsolete.

Lumia 900 / 920 aside, this is eventually what will happen. I'm all for users having choice in the marketplace, but I think that choice needs to be toned down a bit. Instead of Apple's walled garden or Google's super awesome open-ness, a middle of the road path that gives users access to the latest and greatest apps but also doesn't limit them to one hardware design and set of features, like what we have with laptops and PC's.

kehanra99

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I would think with Microsoft's recent shift toward design, release, and marketing the Apple way they would want to unify the mobile experience as quickly as possible. My thought it that it will be released in association with or shortly after the WP8 release. If they delay this until after the new year, it would make me think twice about getting a WP8 device with my next upgrade.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think some people in this thread are having a hard time differentiating between what THEY want and what actually makes good business sense for Microsoft.

I want 7.8 tomorrow, just like the rest of you. But I understand business and the cold, hard reality is this:

Windows Phone 8 is the future of Windows Phone. The only reason WP 7.8 even exists is as a sort of concession prize for early adopters to placate us until we inevitably buy WP 8 phones and for low-end phones in developing countries.

To release 7.8 BEFORE 8 would make absolutely no sense. It would all the people with 7.5 a reason to delay buying a WP8 phone on impulse, which we all know A LOT of you are going to do. That's bad business.

It would ALSO confuse new customers and blur the line between 7.8 and 8. "Gee why do I want to buy that Lumia 920, this 99 cent Lumia 900 on contract has the same resizable tiles on the screen thingy and it looks 95% the same" Again, bad business.

People are giving the idea that making us wait for 7.8 is going to make us all so mad we're going to jump ship to Android or iPhone WAY too much weight.

That is bullcrap and you know it. If you are bothering to come to a Windows Phone forum, then you like Windows Phone enough to stick around most likely. You're not that damn fickle, and if you are, well... go ahead and go to iPhone or Android, if you think those platforms aren't eventually going to do something that annoys you, you're sadly mistaken.

So Microsoft will do what makes good business sense. Which is to keep 7.8 under wraps and give WP8 as strong a launch as possible. Then when some of the hype over WP8 has faded a bit, they will quietly release WP 7.8 for us.

My prediction is that will be some time around Q1 2013.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Buying a phone in February does not make anyone an early adaptor.

Jumping ship because they pulled a jerk move isn't good for business. When the lumia 900 was released they knew it wouldn't be upgradeable to WP8, and kept quiet on it. Great business move, horrible PR move.

You do know that they will release new phones using 7.8 at the same time they release the new WP8 devices. Holding out on existing customers is just dumb.

I don't see how releasing 7.8 would steal wp8 thunder. Risking losing a customer forever is much worse than losing a customer for a cycle.

turbulent

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
it will only be released after 8 comes out. Although the major simlarity would be the start screen, im sure they want to keep the big AHA! moment for the actual win8 release

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Buying a phone in February does not make anyone an early adaptor.

Jumping ship because they pulled a jerk move isn't good for business. When the lumia 900 was released they knew it wouldn't be upgradeable to WP8, and kept quiet on it. Great business move, horrible PR move.

You do know that they will release new phones using 7.8 at the same time they release the new WP8 devices. Holding out on existing customers is just dumb.

I don't see how releasing 7.8 would steal wp8 thunder. Risking losing a customer forever is much worse than losing a customer for a cycle.

I bought a Lumia 900 when it came out, so I understand where you're coming from. However..it's not a "horrible PR move" because 99% of the world doesn't know or care about existing Windows Phones not getting WP8 or when 7.8 comes out.

It seems like a huge drama and catastrophe in our little Windows Phone bubble, but the reality is Windows Phone will probably gain 4x more customers in the 2013 than it has ever had in the previous 3 years and none of those people care about whether or not the Lumia 900 got WP8 or if we had to wait

Most people who have Lumia's probably don't hang out on forums reading about them. Most people just buy phones and use them and don't freak out about phone software updates. Believe it or not, there are probably 100,000+ people in the world who have Lumias and have no idea about it not getting WP8 or that WP 7.8 is coming and they don't care.

I actually do prowl these forums and even I'm over it. It just doesn't matter that much. Most people don't keep their smartphones for 5 years and perform several OS updates on it. You get an upgrade after 20-24 months anyway. You'll have 7.8 way before then even if you just bought a phone and by the time WP8 actually has a big library of WP8 only apps, it will be time for your upgrade.

So the truth is for all the bluster and complaining, it's going to have no impact on Windows Phone or Microsoft. If a tiny handful of people actually throw a fit and go to another platform, oh well. You can't make everyone happy.

People just need to let this go and get on with their lives.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm speaking in general. I bought my Lumia after I had already know that it wasn't getting WP8.

The main thing I want to see is if this is a trend. I have no plans to get the 920, it has nothing to do with mot getting WP8 upgrade for my current phone. I want to see what MS next step is.

Also, I don't think people are raging against MS, they just showing their dissatisfaction. Im not in the middle of a 2 year contract, I'm at the end, so it doesnt really affect me. But for those who are, I feel their pain

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well my cousin comes out with the barmiest stuff, and even I can't believe this, but he has apparently said only Lumia 800, 900, 710, 510, and Alcatel One Touch are getting 7.8, leaving a TITAN user like me out in the cold. Honestly, I don't believe it for a second...

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Well my cousin comes out with the barmiest stuff, and even I can't believe this, but he has apparently said only Lumia 800, 900, 710, 510, and Alcatel One Touch are getting 7.8, leaving a TITAN user like me out in the cold. Honestly, I don't believe it for a second...

titan is a premium handset. It will get the 7.8. But I'm talkingabout the internationaltitan. Don't know what crap stupid US carriers may pull.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
titan is a premium handset. It will get the 7.8. But I'm talkingabout the internationaltitan. Don't know what crap stupid US carriers may pull.

Yeah, I've got International TITAN too. I couldn't believe it when he said it wasn't getting 7.8... After all, not one major update for the TITAN (even though I disagree with 7.8 being a major update)... It just wouldn't make sense!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure some of the smart people on XDA will have a way to get the update for everyone. Those guys/gals are pretty awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium