Moving an iPhone user to WP7 - NIGHTMARE!!!!!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it, supposedly the contact transfer app in the Nokia collection will do the job over Bluetooth... Same as transferring contacts to your car stereo through Bluetooth.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
"Next, connect your iPhone to your computer and then wait for it to show up as a device in iTunes.
Once connected, click on the "Info" tab and go down to "Contacts". Select to sync contacts with Outlook and then sync your iPhone.
This operation will copy all contacts from your iPhone (including contact pictures, if you use them) to the Outlook Contacts folder.
Just need to make sure that the contacts were sinchronized to the Outlook."

Its this part that doesnt work. Not a WP issue but an apple issue brought in after icloud. It USED to work. No longer.

the second part abut adding the contacts to the hotmail account failed as they werent email addresses.

Why didnt MS just bundle a simple vcard based contacts manager into ZUNE? Then its universal. Also sync to outlook -> sync to a live account with a plugin -> too bodegy and too complicated for end user.

iTunes may be a bit poo but it is easy, reliable and does the basic job. Thats what ZUNE should be... At the very least it should be able to import windows contacts direct without HAVING to go via the cloud.

I see you missed my post above.

ade333

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Here you go, this will work

Here you go, this will work - using active sync is the key.

Do it in this order

1) Open an Outlook.com Account

2) Install a copy of Outlook - download the trial if necessary. (trial link: Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 - Overview | Microsoft Office )

3) Configure Outlook to connect to your Outlook.com account using "Outlook Anywhere" (also known as HTTP over RPC) The automatic configuration should do this for you.

4) Import your contacts into Outlook. Sync. Log into your outlook.com account and confirm they are there.

5) On your phone, go to settings / add an account / Outlook / and configure it to connect to your Outlook.com account

ade333

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just hope they iron this out for WP8 otherwise the average iphone user will never switch as they like

A) things simple
B) technology to just work
C) Rely on their contacts and are probably used to just plugging a new phone into itunes and watching all their contacts, emails and apps appear on the new device.
To my knowledge, all the carriers have applications to do this for you in-store for free when you switch phones. I've switched from just about every platform there has been over the last 20 years and all of my carriers - from VoiceStream to Verizon- have offered it to me.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
To my knowledge, all the carriers have applications to do this for you in-store for free when you switch phones. I've switched from just about every platform there has been over the last 20 years and all of my carriers - from VoiceStream to Verizon- have offered it to me.

When I bought mine at Best Buy, they said it couldn't be done at the store. Didn't bother me though, all but 2 contacts were already synced to my Live account.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to import your contacts into hotmail/outlook contacts. The only other option is to reach out to apple since they are the ones you are having an issue with. Lastly you could enter everybody in manually to your hotmail account associated to your windows phone.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to export icloud contacts into hotmail contacts

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Wait, let me understand this. You are upset with WP because the iPhone, which apparently works like a "phone" can't export contacts. Whose fault is that? Microsoft's? Moved my contacts from my WinMobile phone to my first WP in about 30 minutes (with Hotmail Connector). Moved contacts to my L900 in about 3 minutes. That's how all "phones" should work.

I do hope you find a solution, but to me it sounds like another Apple strategy to lock users into a platform. And maybe your time is worth a $1.99 app. Just sayin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Wait, let me understand this. You are upset with WP because the iPhone, which apparently works like a "phone" can't export contacts. Whose fault is that? Microsoft's? Moved my contacts from my WinMobile phone to my first WP in about 30 minutes (with Hotmail Connector). Moved contacts to my L900 in about 3 minutes. That's how all "phones" should work.

I do hope you find a solution, but to me it sounds like another Apple strategy to lock users into a platform. And maybe your time is worth a $1.99 app. Just sayin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

This, exactly!

Same type of experience when I moved from my Android and Google back to Windows Phone and Hotmail.

Retro_uk

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Got to admit I was a little puzzled after reading the OP's post as well. I had all my contacts copied over in seconds when going from Symbian to a Windows Phone. Used transfer contacts via bluetooth and it couldn't have been easier.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss