View Poll Results: How do lumia 900/800 owners feel about the new lumia 920/820

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angry

1 5.00%
  • Happy

19 95.00%
    just wanted to gauge others opinions about the new lumias (920/820)

if you purchased an 800/900 how do you feel about the new lumias

personally I feel a little resentment I paid for a product thats out of date less than 3 months after I received it and I'm tied in with an 18 month contract i learned of the news of the impending WP8 release to late to hold off

The new features on the 920 are sufficient enough to make me want to upgrade .. wireless charging removable cover/battery SD card support, dual core (although there might not be much to leverage it right now ! :) Higher res, NFC

all in all i think i'll be giving my 900 to my wife .. who loves it while i get the 920 .. although i would have liked to have just gotten the 920 in the first place !

so from 1 to 10 how do you feel 800/900 owners ?

1= pissed off will never buy any phone again im going to live in a cave .. /ragequit
    10= its no problem i have so much money i buy new phones every day anyway ..

I sit around 6.5 .. i can pay for a new contract but i really dont want to .. but i really want the phone haha ...
    09-10-2012 03:13 AM
    well... the 800 did come out like almost a year ago, so i have no complaints, not sure how id feel if i got the 900 instead, but i absolutely love the 800 and very excited for 920

i bought my 800 outright since i was in a contract, but my contract is finally ending this nov, and hopefully 920 drop in Canada soon around that time

oh and at least it's only 18 month for you guys, we have 3 year terms...
    09-10-2012 06:02 PM

The new features on the 920 are sufficient enough to make me want to upgrade .. wireless charging removable cover/battery SD card support, dual core (although there might not be much to leverage it right now ! :) Higher res, NFC

. i can pay for a new contract but i really dont want to .. but i really want the phone haha ...
    920 doesn't have a SD card, or a removable battery & cover.

Resentment? Not even close I'm thrilled they come out with newer better things every few months.

That's what wives are for to hand down your old phones, laptops ect to so you can get the newest latest and greatest. Why else would someone get married?

Just buy the phone.
    09-10-2012 07:08 PM
    I will call it an 8. A little disappointed that my L900 will not get updated, but I understand why. And the reasons you site for wanting the 920 are hardware related. So no real reason for any complaint. Plan to pick up a W8 next March, about when I assume the next wave of devices will appear.

I have gotten into a routine of buying an phone off contract every other year, and then renewing on contract when qualified. Assuming on contract price is $199 (typical-L900 was a real deal) and off contract is about $499, (sometimes $549-599), that's $300 to make up. Costing in the resell price of both phone ($100/per net typically), it it costing me an extra $50/year to have a new phone every year. Not so bad.

Now, if you are into $0.01 phone from Amazon or whatever, your mileage may vary. I buy my phones at the same AT&T store, usually on launch day. Always have a human to talk to if I need to. So, $250/ year in phone expense. That's $0.68 a day, less than the cost of a candy bar. Or $4.76 a week; cost of a gallon of gas in some places, 1 imported or 2 domestics. We all have to make choices.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    09-10-2012 08:06 PM
    I agree with Jimski, it appears that your anger is more hardware related. I got my 900 in April too but I don’t buy into the argument that it is out of date. The lumia 900 can still stand toe to toe to most smart phones out there and while I’m excited about the 920 I plan to hold on to my current phone for about another year. The WP7.8 upgrade (which we’re starting to hear more and more about each day) along with Nokia’s updates will keep me pretty satisfied for the time being.

Maybe a major part of my attitude is because I’ve never been an early adapter. I rather wait for the bugs to be worked out before I dive into a new phone or platform. Put me down as 9.5 (I don’t believe in the perfect 10), I feel that my L900 rocks so I’m happy.

p.s. I have five lines on my account and 2 of them are eligible for upgrades so I could get a 920 if I wanted.

;)
    09-11-2012 02:15 PM
    The 900 has a pretty bad camera sensor (not lens, sensor) and no SD slot. It looks and feels nice though. I think lots of users were let down by the camera on those phone. That seems to be the number one complaint with them I've heard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    09-11-2012 02:32 PM

The 920 doesn't have a removable battery or an SD card slot, so don't get too excited.
    09-11-2012 02:40 PM
    So, $250/ year in phone expense. That's $0.68 a day, less than the cost of a candy bar. Or $4.76 a week; cost of a gallon of gas in some places, 1 imported or 2 domestics. We all have to make choices.
    Exactly it's nothing especially for something you enjoy. You spend more than that to go to a pro sporting event or a concert.
    09-11-2012 02:57 PM
    I'm fine with the 900 / 920 situation. I bought my 900 a month ago, granted I knew full and well ahead of time that it wouldn't update to 8. Just wanted to get away from my 4s.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    09-12-2012 08:39 AM
    I have no problem with the 920. I'd say a 10, but no, I just don't go out and buy new phones every release. I'll get the 920 or whatever is the latest once my contract is up next year. [if i dont have a iP5]
    09-12-2012 09:36 AM
    I'm about a 9. I bought my L900 in May and I knew there was a possibility that it wouldn't support WP8. I'm also happy that we are at least getting some support such as WP7.8 and Nokia has recently demonstrated that we will continue to get some new features and apps, even if they are pretty minor, the fact that Nokia at least continues to support the phone makes me happy.

I'm also slightly disappointed by the L920. The chassis largely looks the same, but I think the color choices shown suck. The screen and the camera are pretty nice, but I'm not a major camera person, and in most situations, the L900 fits my camera needs.
    09-12-2012 03:44 PM
    Doesn't much matter to me... I bought my L900 on launch day in April. I have to say the phone was pretty sucky until this latest Tango release came out, mainly because the wifi tethering was broken, and was regretting buying it. Now it works and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I know when I buy a phone that something new will come out 3 months later. That's to be expected. I bought an iPad2 about 5 months before the new iPad came out.

The fact that Microsoft won't update my phone with WP8 though is pretty inexcusable and there simply is no technical justification for that. The likelihood they'll pull the same stunt on Lumia 920 owners next year just gives me no faith in the platform. We'll see, maybe in 18 months when my contract is up things will change. But right now I wouldn't buy another Windows Phone.
    09-13-2012 04:24 PM
    I've only had mine for a short time - so there is no way I can justify a new phone. I knew what I was getting in for when I got my 800 and I'll just stick around the sidelines and watch the ecosystem grow with a smile on my face. By the time I'll upgrade, I'll be a generation 2 adopter - which I'm fine with.*

*Unless the Nokia gods decide to bless me with a free 920. I'm good with that too.
    09-13-2012 04:43 PM
    The 900 has a pretty bad camera sensor (not lens, sensor) and no SD slot. It looks and feels nice though. I think lots of users were let down by the camera on those phone. That seems to be the number one complaint with them I've heard.

The only problem I had with the camera was taking pictures in low light areas. After upgrading to tango it seems to be less of a problem.
    09-14-2012 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD